Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Syncrowave 200 DX TIG vs. Lincoln Precision TIG 225

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SEBSPEED 
#1 ·
Tax season is coming up. I should finish some other stuff, but I've decided I want a new TIG setup instead.

I've got plenty of experience with the Millers... but I've never run a Lincoln P TIG 225. Anyhow, if you have, please reply with what you thought of it.

:rock:

#2 ·
I don't think I've used either machines specifically, but Lincolns square-wave technology is vastly superior to Miller's. I never used a Miller much for AC tig because the Lincolns were so much smoother. DC wise they are probably about the same. I don't have a ton of experience with smaller machines, but that is the only difference I can remember.

I demo-ed a Lincoln briefcase welder for a week a few years ago, it's power consumption was grossly underrated, I stopped using it because it was dangerous.

Are they arc-start or scratch start machines? I'd pay quite a bit extra to not fuck with a scratch start machine.

#3 ·
Scratch, touch and HF start on the Lincoln, dunno about the miller.

Both come with built in pulse, which is nice. The lincoln is 50/60hz, same with the Miller.

I've got a lincoln wirefeed here at home, and I love it.

#4 ·
If the Lincoln has HF start then it's an easy choice for me, the square wave AC is much smoother and more efficient than the Miller units, like 20% less amperage for the same materials.

I had a Sq. Wave 275, that was the Cadillac of tig machines, so smooth and so much power. I would try to get another one, but it would burn down my house 5 mins after I plugged it in.

You should save your dough and get a nice water-cooled torch to go with it :rock:

#5 ·
ive run a miller syncrowave 250 and 300. i like both machines fine. Only licoln welders ive used have been migs or stick welders with high freq box for tig work so i dont know about the specific unit you mention but ive never had any issues out of the millers or their customer service if you need something. they were actually a little tooooo friendly.

#7 ·
but ive never had any issues out of the millers or their customer service if you need something. they were actually a little tooooo friendly.
Agreed. They do have excellent cust service. Although my district manager is a douche nozzle.

I do agree with Ruff though that the Lincoln's wave is far superior to the Millers.

I just installed a new Miller AUTO450 on our newest robot, and it's nothng but trouble. Pulse problems, device net cabling issues, burned out LED right outta the box. That sways me on future choices.

#6 ·
Syncrowave 250dx here, and I love this thing. Well worth the money spent. The miller has 4 wave shapes, HF, lift, and a shitton of other features like a tack weld setting, which kicks ass.

#10 ·
They are good welders, but far too hot to run on a residential 110v circuit. Mine could pop a 30amp marine fuse during normal stick welding, that's just scary, should not be used on residential electrical.

ThermalArc Machines are nice, I've never tigged on one, but a yard I worked at used them exclusively for spoolgun machines and stick welding. The ones I used didn't offer the fine tuning of the big two, but was a capable machine no doubt.

I also used a special ThermalArc machine for carbon cutting, I don't remember what model it was, just that it could drive a carrot-sized cutting rod like nobody's biz. Using that thing was like being inside a jet engine, pretty loud :D

#9 ·
How would the Thermal Arc 185 Plus compare to the units above?

We have one at work and I think it works really well, yeah, it's air cooled, but in my garage I'm not going to be laying any crazy long aluminum beads.

And it can be put on a shelf when I'm done with it...

#12 ·
Another $400 gets you a complete kit from Thermall Arc(the 185 Plus), minus only the tanks. Comes with pedal/regulators/long hose length torch/lots of digital adjustments.

Not saying it's better, just stating what I've seen. I'm hoping to buy mine in the next 2 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.