Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

First time project 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

36K views 88 replies 19 participants last post by  spdu4ia 
#1 ·
Today I purchased a salvage title 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. I have owned 2 bikes before this but I've never really done much maintenance besides oil and spark plug change. So this project is going to be a bit of a undertaking for me.

I have an idea in mind of a cafe/streetfighter style that I'd like to take it, but first things first I need to take care of the basics and get it street legal.

The bike is a salvage title. It seems to be in mostly decent shape. The headlight is gone but the wiring is still all intact, the bulbs and wiring for the front turn signals are still intact as well, but all the plastic is gone. One mirror is still intact, but the glass is gone from the other, but the frame is still good. There is a crack in the metal piece below the handle bars that the gauges are mounted to. The radiator is shot and seems to be leaking slightly and the chain seems to need a good cleaning.

So all that aside, the bike seems to start up and run great! (Until I find more things hidden that need work)

I'm not really sure what I got myself into, but I'm excited to see where it leads me!

First things first I think I need to get a new radiator. I've found them on ebay for around $160, but if anyone has some other ideas I'm all for advice.

Like I said earlier, I'm a complete novice to all of this so I appreciate any advice and support I receive.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I found a new fairing bracket for the gauge

And I've ordered a new radiator.
Now the big question is what to do about the headlight?
I really like the single or double dome light design.

But I'm not really sure how to go about mounting that to the bike.

Any suggestions?

#3 ·
First think you will end up taking off is the fairing bracket on the front since you wont be puting the fairing back on so don't worry about getting that. If you plan on using the stock guages you'll have to fab up a mounting bracket for them. You can get some universal headlight brackets or make some that will wrap around the fork tube (like a clamp) to mount those lights. Look up Dominator lights.

Looks like a great bike to start, same bike as mine!

#4 ·
Well I'm glad I knew that before I ordered it.
I have no clue ANYTHING about custom fabing a mount for the gauge. Any suggestions?
I found some front turn signals/mirrors that I love the look of.

I'm going back and forth on my first priorities. The radiator is leaking, and I'm not sure if it's because there is no clamp on the hose running out the bottom of it, or if it's significantly damaged. It's pretty dented and if you look in the pic you can see a drop of fluid on the bottom left corner ABOVE where the unclamped hose is.

So what do you guys think? Should I suck it up and quit being a penny pincher and order the new radiator?

#8 ·
don't order the 06-07 they changed some things and I don't know if it will fit. Call up blueridge performance and ask them if they have a radiator... i've had good luck with them.

Those mirrors and signals are two seperate pieces also very pricey.

#9 ·
I called Blue Ridge and all he had was an 08, which I don't think would fit either. But he referred me to Myler's Radiators, who said they could get it repaired for between $70-$100 (+shipping), which is cheaper no matter what.

As for the handlebar lights/mirrors, the ones I was looking at are only $200. http://bit.ly/wINdoA
From what I know that seems like a pretty decent price. What do you guys think?

#17 ·
I got my fork mounts for my headlight and turn signals for $18. Turn signals were $20 for four. Only needed 2. Bar end mirrors from hong kong for $8. All ebay. Just check your specs, or hunt around for them on the internet. Or you could just pick up a set of cheap digital calipers and measure the fork diameter yourself, so you know what size you'd need. My goal was to spend as little as possible, and I've been able to get a lot of what I was after for cheap, knowing that I'd prolly move on to a bigger bike soon. And the knowledge you take from the fab work will benefit you on future projects.

#22 ·
hell for $5 yea, go for it. But make sure your going to want the guages there once you put your headlights on. Lots of guys like to mount there guages to the top of the tripples as well. I personaly found that mounting up the stock guages on mine wasn't doable from a looks standpoint because they are so big.

#23 ·
So where do you have you gauges mounted instead? I went through some of the pics from your build, but didn't see a pic of where/how you had them. What I did see though was what looks to be a stainless steel water bottle mounted as your overflow canister. I like the idea! When I get to that point I might see if I can pick your brain on how you did that.

I guess hiccups are to be expected with an first bike project, but now I'm having engine trouble. I posted another thread talking a bit about it.
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1064852#post1064852

#24 ·
sure man any help you need just hit me up. I run a bicycle computer for a trip and speed. its mounted on my bars next to my clutch lever.

Attachments

#25 ·
Today has been a productive day for bike work
I took some time today and built a mount for the gauges out of stainless steel strips. To keep them from rusting (and for looks) I'll need to paint them once I repaint the bike.

I drilled holes in the handlebars and ran the turn signal wires through. (A little early since I haven't gotten the bar end signals in the mail yet, but I wanted to get it done)

I relocated the horn from an ugly spot in the front to a more hidden spot down lower on the left side of the bike.

And last but not least I started cutting off all the fairing brackets that were left on the bike. I got through a good 3/4 of them. And they came out fairly well.

but does anyone have any advice for cleaning up the ones that didn't come out looking so pretty?

#26 ·
you really should plan on a set of motocross bars or drag bars or something, my all time favorite mod on the bike was bars, those stock bars are just terrible.

You should grind down the rest of the brackets and then smooth them out and hit that part with a spray of paint for the cleanest look. I havn't cut my brackets off yet but its on the list.

#27 ·
New bars are on the list, but for the time being, I'm really just trying to get it legal first. Are you saying to use silver spray paint on those spots? I'd like to keep the plain metal finish on the frame. I probably got a little eager and cut the brackets a bit to early, but I was kind of in a roll last night and just looking for more things that I could do.

It's funny how this project becomes it's own monster that takes over in your mind. Hopefully the newness will wear off soon. But right now it seems like I'm ALWAYS thinking about one thing or the other involving the bike. it's always what I can do to it, how i can make that work , what parts I might need, etc...... Lol!

#28 ·
the frame is powdercoated silver so find a silver paint to match. Try Dupliclor metalic silver engine enamel... if I remember its a pretty close match. (test it first, don't trust me :D)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.