Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

GSX600F build

65K views 137 replies 40 participants last post by  imitch 
#1 · (Edited)
GSX600F (KATANA) build

This is my first venture into bike modification, I was looking for something to do to while away the long winter hours and found this on the net

this became the inspiration for the build, after a couple of false starts I eventually found a bought this fine looking example :/ Oh how looks can be deceptive.

I set about stripping it down and deciding which direction I wanted to go, First I removed the plastics and it began to look a whole lot better.

I found a GSX550 ES seat cowl on fleabay for pennies and as it had the flick I liked it was purchased even though it dosn't look to good in it's original incarnation.

But with a little imagination ...

I wasn't happy with the fitting so out came my favourite tool.

Then I flipped the bars for a cafe feel.

Found a rear light that fits the look I'm going for.

Painted front forks and cut the front mudguard down to a more acceptable size.

Test fitted new 7inch headlamp and clocks.

Remove the battery box for relocation (hopefully under the seat cowl later) & gave the seat cowl a quick coat of satin black to get the feel of things to come.

I also stripped the seat down to the base, cut it up a little and tortured it it the shape I wanted with the help of a blow torch. I then secured the seat cowl to what is left of the seat base in readiness for fibre glass.

and this is where I am at now

I will post up more as and when I can, I would appreciate your comments or suggestions but please don't be offended if I don't pick them up and run with them LOL!

See less See more
#3 ·
It's nice to see these Kat's get a much deserved make over. They always get prettier as they get more naked. Nice job with the tail pan.

#18 ·
Got a bit of work done over the past week, First I purchased some sheet steel, made a template

& ended up with this..

I then had my first attempt at fibreglassing, I don't have any pics of this due to how messy it is.

I then cut the support struts for the tail section so as to make it easier the make an undertray for the tail. I had already decided to remove them and reposition them further forward but intended to leave the angle of the tail standard. However curiosity got the better of me and the tail got lifted so as the horizontal line flowed throught from the head stock ascross the tank and on to the tail.

BEFORE

AFTER

#19 ·
Here's the undertail panel made and in situ

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that the tank has changed colour this is due to the original being badly corroded inside to the point where it had been leaking, then someone had used petseal which had seen better days. So the decision was made to find a replacment and at ÂŁ50 from D&K bikes Newcastle it had to be done.

#20 ·
I like how the tank's middle line flows over into the seat's bottom lines nicely. Sub'd to the thread and looking forward
to future updates. Great job on that tail as well mate.

#28 ·
Got to work on the new tank this week, stripped it, filled the dents left by the previous owner.

filled the rear where the seat used to fit against, first with fibre fill then with filler

and also the side where the fairing sat against it.

I have plenty of more work on the tank to do, filling, priming, sanding & painting, will post up more pics as and when this occurs

#34 ·
The gold and black has fallen by the wayside but may be a thought for the future giving it a JPS/lotus vibe. And yes I'm feeling the gloss black & satin black theme, Satin black background, gloss black asymmetric stripe running over the tank and the length of the seat and tail and a gloss black 66 on the tank or tail or both.

#37 ·
Made some progress recently

Got busy with the hacksaw

Satin black on the tank & one rear subframe support removed

Both rear supports removed

with headlamp

rear view with struts removed looks much cleaner

I will be cutting down the original supports and refitting them further forward and higher if you know what I mean. More pics when I do more work:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.