Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Fiberglassing a fuel tank cover

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  British Menace2 
#1 ·
Hey Just wondering how difficult is it to make a fiberglass fuel tank cover? I have an 05 gsxr and want to make a tank cover with a place holder for my speedo. Is it hard to fiberglass or is it pretty simple to do? Also if I apply resin to the bare metal tank without waxing it, will the fiberglass bond to it and make it fairly difficult to remove?

#2 ·
If you want to get a certain mold to fit in your speedo a certain way, try using tape and a t-shirt and form it beforehand. then resin. then glass it.

im not sure about the resin straight onto the gastank tho, but keep looking.

#4 ·
I will be doing this to my bandit in the next 2 weeks mate, speedo, ignition, nos guage and turbo guages and dummy lights all in the tank plus making the tank wider and reshapeing the whole tank and plan on posting up some vids and a guide so if you can hold your roll a few weeks there shall be some help up :D

But if you cant, no fibreglass will not release from the tank, it will be perminant, put a binbag over your tank and put tape round the whole thing to pull the binbag all tight and smooth and then fibreglass over that :D binbag stops the tape getting stuck to the tank, your gunna be best off putting a dent were you want the speedo as well so it can sit bak into the tank slightly if your using a slightly chunky speedo.

That foam stuff you spray into walls then it expands and goes hard is great as well can spray it onto the tank once its wrapped up and drill that, sand it, chissel it to get exactly what you want then fibreglass over that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.