Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

DIY - Stubby your Exhaust. Not 56K Friendly.

62K views 55 replies 40 participants last post by  94yzf75fighter 
#1 ·
My SV650's Leo Vinci Aluminum slip on looks like shite from the sea-air and its a little corroded and crusty looking. I decided to strip it down and paint it black, but then I figured I might as well chop it a bit too.

Heres my DIY - I will finish the sanding and paint and post it here later today.

All work was done on my patio with a dremmel and a cordless drill - not to tuff at all.... I dont have the luxury of a garage and the shop is closed today.. fuck it, I'll figure this out!

Find the length you want the pipe, and mark it - i used a fine point sharpie.
My pipe I wanted to be 10" so thats where I marked it.

Carefully go around the can marking at the proper length, when done, use tape to circle the can at your marks, this will help guide the cut.

Next I drilled out the rivets to get the endcap and slipon cap off.

Rivets removed, band removed.

There is a silicone bead around the can, so I cut away as much as possible.

Take a punch or small screwdriver and punch the rivets into the can.

Time to make the cut - go slow and be careful. use eye protection.

Cut is complete thru the aluminum.
Use a razer blade to cut the packing away and get it free from the baffle.

Once you are thru the packing, remove the end cap.

Take the pipe end cap off, this is the piece I am tossing,
unless one of you here want a 6" can..?

I pulled the slipon cap out and the baffle is welded to this so becareful not to bend or dislodge it from the slipon cap.

Next is to remove the packign from the part I want to keep.
I pushed my hand between the can and the wrap and it popped right out.

Next I cut the steel-wool wrapping around the baffle core to length.

Mark the baffle core to cut to length. be careful, measure twice, cut once.
I used a fiber-reinforced cutting wheel for my dremmel tool,
it cut the can and the baffle core using only 3 discs.

Baffle core is cut to length.

A quick test fit of the caps & baffle core and can to see if it all fits up right.
Looks pretty fuckin good to me mate!

Next is marking the can for the rivet holes on the cut side.
I put the endcap in and made a line as to center,
then i put the band on and made the cross lines to show center point of the hole.

NEXT UP:

DRILL ENDCAP HOLES
SAND IT
PAINT IT
PACK IT
RIVET IT BACK TO LIFT
VIOLA!~

See less See more
#37 ·
The second i read this thread i ran out to my garage and started cutting up my dented, beat-up ugly muffler... and this is how far i got it. (pics)
Next will be a carbon fiber replica looking paint job. Im hoping to do that tomoro if i can find some high heat temp paint, then some rivets. It is a fun task to accomplish. Thanx alot for posting this thread.

Auto part Muffler Cylinder

Reactions: ROBBO
#38 ·
The second i read this thread i ran out to my garage and started cutting up my dented, beat-up ugly muffler... and this is how far i got it. (pics)
Next will be a carbon fiber replica looking paint job. Im hoping to do that tomoro if i can find some high heat temp paint, then some rivets. It is a fun task to accomplish. Thanx alot for posting this thread.

View attachment 15280
Good man Ed' :thumbsup:

#42 ·
This thread is going to be useful when I turn the stock cbr muff I got from rob into a can.

I gonna make my wife take the pics tho lol.

#43 ·
Looks awesome. This is exactly what I did with my CF Yosh, but I was just doing it to cut off the crashed part of the can. Also, instead of rivets I threaded the holes in the cap and put one end back together with screws for easy repacking. (I was probably out of rivets, too)

#45 ·
I just chopped another 6.5" off mine. I also sprayed it with a few coats of VHT High Temp clear to bring back the gloss.

I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm sure it's too loud for my taste. I'll make an internal reducer to cut the noise down.

#54 ·
I'm about to do a chop job on my 2 bros how does it sound stubbied?

Edit just saw the video but how does it sound rolling through the streets at 8-10k Rpms?

#51 ·
Damn wish I took a before and after with my pipe, didn't know this thread excited. Im doing the other bike in the next few days tho so ill get pics of that one.

R6 pipe now

#56 ·
Well by that time I know for myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.