Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

My First Bike is a Fighter...build

34K views 117 replies 32 participants last post by  f2fighter600 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just joined up and thought I'd start a build thread for my CBR.
I picked up a '91 CBR 600 at the end of the summer last year. It was hammered from stunting and didn't run. After a new battery and about 20 mins of me and my buddy tinkering, we had it running and riding. Even though it didn't run that well, the size of the rear sprocket let the thing stand up like it was nothing. :rock:

This is how she sat the day I picked her up for $300 with no Title.

I immediately started to tear her down and get rid of the really crappy stunt mods. Took off the tank and started with cleaning the carbs.

The subframe was already chopped a little bit, so I decided to keep going down that road, but make it look much better. So I picked up a Fireblade seat and started chopping. With the help of my buddy, he welded up the subframe to how it sits. We plan on rebuilding to clean it up, but I like the look and that fact that its the original subframe, just tweaked

I decided that hideous looking exhaust that came on it had to go. The header pipes were looking pretty bad too so after I took them off to get rid of the exhaust/muffler, I wrapped the headers in black wrap. I wasn't sure what to do for a muffler, so I decided not to have one :rock: My buddy had some scrap pipe and we cut this section to how I thought would look good and he welded it on. Sprayed it with some high temp and now she sits like the pic.

The clip-ons were next to get the axe. I wanted to go with straight bars. I found some chrome risers (not pictured) and mounted some dirty bar and all controls. I loved the feel, but hated the look of the risers. So I've scraped them and found some black MX risers that I've since mounted to the top plate. They look so much better.

I went back and forth on what instruments/gauges I was going to use, but settled on going with the Vapor from Trail Tech. It mounts perfectly to the bars and is in great viewing position to sneak a peak while riding. The tach is still a little sporadic, so I'm working on that.

chrome risers

black risers

To make the rear end legal, I needed a brake light and turn signals. But I didn't like anything I was finding...until I saw this LED strip with integrated turns from Custom Dynamics. It doesn't stick out and is really BRIGHT!

With the help of my buddy again, we shortened the harness to fit in the smaller footprint and tucked everything. This is how she looked at the beginning of December last year.

Once it was too cold to ride, and since she's still not road legal or have a title, I tore her down again. I stripped the tank down to the metal (8 layers of paint!!!) and it's now in primer waiting on the wheels to get back from the powder coaters so we can match the whites. Here's a list of new items going on the bike for this season:
-fresh white paint on the tank, front fender (f3 fender)
-powder coat wheels white
-knock off wave rotors, front & back
-new brake pads
-woodcraft rear sets
-lsl urban headlight
-relocate ignition barrel

It's been quite the learning experience, but it's been a fun one. I come from the VW world so turning a wrench is nothing foreign. I'll keep updating this thread as I get parts in and installed. Thanks for looking and I'd love to hear any advice anyone may have. Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I kind I like that pipe in place of the exhaust. Nice start on a great bike. Get a frame in here and get her registered! Time to go ride lol.

#6 ·
Thanks man! I'm working on getting it registered as a homemade bike, just waiting on the state of KY to get me legal...should be road legal by this season!

Dang! Great start man, that thing is nasty!
Thanks!

damn fine start man. cant wait to see where it goes
I can't either! Thanks!

how does the bike run with no muffler? do you have a resonator in there ?
It runs pretty great actually, I still need to sync the carbs to get it a little smoother, but it's loud and mean as hell. I'm building my own baffle to give me some more back pressure and bring down the dbs some.

#12 ·
Got some goodies from the big brown truck today.

Got the woodcraft rear sets in...

they're so purdy

and new helmet for this season!!!!

I'm still waiting on the pressure switch to show up so I can make the rear brake light functional with the foot pedal, but I'm gonna throw these sets on and see how they feel.

#17 ·
mini update:

got my wheels back from powder today, so I had the new tires mounted and tried on the new rotors before I installed the new bearings. Here's how the sit now:

And I wanted to have a subtle detail on the wheels so I added a small 6" decal.

Headlight shows up tomorrow and I just have a few more items to order before this thing starts rolling again!

#20 ·
another mini update:

I didn't have a whole lot of time to work on the bike today, but I did manage to mount/mock up the headlight and get the front wheel on. While I was installing the rear wheel I noticed I didn't have a replacement o-ring for the sprocket side of the wheel so I had to order one and wait to install the rear wheel. I need to reassemble the rear shock and spring that I painted white anyways so it's not holding me up too bad anyways.

I think I'm going to bring the headlight down some. It just looks too high, but that might change with the front fender installed. What do you think?

#30 ·
thanks!

I actually really like the look of white tins on a black bike!
Looks like a good start
I have always liked a black and white bike, so I thought I'd build one. Thanks!

You're doing an awesome job! The wheels look great.

This is just the motivation that I need to get me over the hump in my build.
Thanks! get over that hump and get to work!

#28 ·
I actually really like the look of white tins on a black bike!
Looks like a good start

#31 ·
Small update, but no pictures...

Got new forward controls installed. It's nice to have all the lettering on the buttons! Only thing left to do with the controls is to chop their wiring in half to reduce the amount of crap under the tank. I also picked up the base coat for the tank and front fender. The tank should get sprayed this week if all goes according to plan. The fender is another story though, I thought the f3 fender would bolt right on, but I was wrong so I ordered another f2 fender of ebay and will just paint it to match the tank to save time before going another route. I'm putting the rear shock and rear tire on tomorrow so it'll will finally be a roller again!!! It's almost there, I can't wait!

#34 ·
I have a roller!!!!

got the painted shock installed and rear tire installed. It's so good to see it able to roll around the shop again.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get all the wiring sorted and fire it for the first time in 4 months!

I also have to get my brakes cleaned and new pads installed, the next few days are gonna be awesome.

here's how she sat as i took her off the stands for the first time in a long time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.