Rattlecan paint recommendations! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Rattlecan paint recommendations!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Shoester
Noobie
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoester is a NOOB
Default Rattlecan paint recommendations!

So what brand of rattlecan paint do you guys recommend? PJ1? VHT? DuPont? Something else? I am looking to paint frame/wheels, and I'm really not sure what to use. I can NOT afford powder coating right now (poor college budget) so a shit rattlecan job will have to suffice. What have you gentleman had the best luck with?

Thanks!
Adam
Shoester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
mvrk10256
GURU

Fighterer
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
mvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rattlecan paint recommendations!

read this
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=264901

-Maksim

Resident EE and BMW Cage expert.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mvrk10256!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Shoester
Noobie
Shoester is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
Single most informative thing I have ever read on properly painting something. Thanks for posting!
Shoester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Shoester!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
kyle17428
Noobie
kyle17428's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:26 PM
kyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well likedkyle17428 is well liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
I looked that over, and I was quoted $55 LESS from a local professional as long as I take the parts off my self. For that price you really would be better off to have it professionally painted, unless you just want the glory of saying you did it yourself.
kyle17428 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
guy
Ridin Dirty
Fighterer
guy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
guy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of lightguy is a glorious beacon of light

iv'e been painting for 19 years and have mangaged to use almost everthing under the sun...this particular paint right here is the best by far. It sprays fast, and is tough as it gets. You can spray auto grade clear over it too. available at Lowes>>

If I need flat or satin black, I chose this over any auto grade paint you shoot out of a gun....

Starfighter Project
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=43305

Zx-6 fighter (sold)
79 kz-1000 cafe'
97 xr400 sumo
guy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Jedison
hak after hak after hak
Fighter
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jedison is well likedJedison is well likedJedison is well likedJedison is well likedJedison is well likedJedison is well liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
iv'e been painting for 19 years and have mangaged to use almost everthing under the sun...this particular paint right here is the best by far. It sprays fast, and is tough as it gets. You can spray auto grade clear over it too. available at Lowes>>

If I need flat or satin black, I chose this over any auto grade paint you shoot out of a gun....
Hey Guy, your starfighter build with the black and white, is that using the paint you've just mentioned? I assume you use an enamel clearcoat on that paint? Thanks! Sick build I like it a lot.
Jedison is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
edwards30
Fighter In Training
Local Time: 07:26 PM
edwards30 is really niceedwards30 is really niceedwards30 is really niceedwards30 is really niceedwards30 is really niceedwards30 is really niceedwards30 is really nice

I just painted this with the Krylon brand at walmart. I used a krylon primer as well but I can't remember. Best to keep it all in the same family. 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear I think it turned out good. Honestly painting is 99% prep work and technique.

Also for wheels I have had good luck with the wheel coating you can buy I believe at autozone as well.. Held up really nice.

edwards30 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict
Sinister Imaging's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

VHT epoxy paint is tough as shit. takes 7 days to cure though.

Sinister Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
John Prophet
Mad Scientist

CF Pimp
John Prophet's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 64
Flipped Off 133 Times in 39 Posts
John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

[IMG][/IMG]
I rattle canned this, still needing some clear coating work yet,

[IMG][/IMG]
Rattle can on the work on this too, well aside from the skull decal. This particular postapocalyptic look I do, I will actually feather like lets say 2 corners and one side with one color, then half the middle and another corner with a 2nd color, (in this particular piece I layed the decal down at this stage) And then applied a 3rd color to the bare areas. Then I sprayed over everything once in diagnal lines, alternating the colors. Then a FOOK ton of sanding to bring all the differnt layers out.

[IMG][/IMG]
And I ALSO rattle canned everything you see here. Given its no where near postapocalyptic by any means, but I went overboard. I wanted a glass smooth base coat, and glass smooth clear. So When I was done sanding the primer (yep I wet sanded the primer down to 600 grit) I applied a base of metalic silver, then sanded it, then the sunburst metalic orange and sanded that, then the clear and yes I even sanded that. Buffed to perfection.
Duplicolor I am not a fan of there clear cote in the spray bombs, its to weak, to thin lacks any real form of depth. Im debating about resanding the clear, and then getting a 2 part epoxy clear over it.

2011 Build off entry thread for Revelation
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39157

2011 Build off discussion thread for Revelation
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39156

Revelation's normal build thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=36848&page=5
John Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived John Prophet!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
1stfighter
To ride or not to ride
Noobie
1stfighter is a NOOB

I used VHT rollbar and chassis black for that flat black look on the frame and it worked VERY WELL, sprayed very smooth and layed down nice and even. Will post a pic soon. It does say it takes 7 days to cure, but does that mean i need to wait 7 days before i can apply a clearcoat? Any recommendations on a clearcoat from a rattlecan would be helpful
1stfighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork