Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Jackstand's 00 SV650 Part III

19K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Local Guy 
#1 ·
The 2012 buildoff is over and done with(with no news about it what so ever...thanks vertical scope), but my work on the SV is never done. I ran into quite a few problems after the buildoff, but between moving into my new place...and not having any room to work at my new place, Carmen...just kinda...sat there:

With it being so hot outside, and not having anyone close by who works on bikes to help me, I lost a lot of motivation to work on her. Then, after months of sloth I met a bike builder through my best friend/neighbor and was given the opportunity to use his shop with 24/7 access...let the games begin.

For some reason my battery kept draining and it wouldn't hold a charge. Turns out my stator was fried. That AND my battery ground was literally melted and burned up in one section from the exhaust(my best guess) so I replaced that with one from a 2nd gen.
I just got the brand new stator in today from Rick's Motorsport Electronics, so be patient and stay tuned for that since there will be some soldering/splicing involved.

I also had a few smaller things I had to take care of, such as making a new coolant overflow tank, and painting/cleaning up a lot of ugly on the bike. First, lets start with the coolant catch can. Same old tricks as last time with the $1 water bottle, but I took a little extra care this go round in mounting it as not to damage the powdercoated frame. I merely wrapped the hose clamps in electrical tape...yeah...that's all I did:

I think it fits nicely where it was before, and if it works that well why fuck with it?

I also mounted a GSX-R kickstand since its longer and allows an SV650 to stand more upright after raising the height of the rear suspension. With both the ZX10-R shock AND shorter dogbones in the back, it was a well needed swap. My replacement was beat up and ugly, so I gave her the jet Black treatment:

I stuck a vacuum cap on the foot lever to help protect the new paint job:

Next I moved onto the rats nest under my seat. It was my first time running a wiring harness and I got pretty overwhelmed. Now that I have a "garage" of sorts to work in, I had time to go through it all and make it nice and neat. I wanted to use velcro to mount my R/R and CDI, but the porous nature of the matte paint I used in the tail wouldn't bond with adhesive well, so it got the jet black treatment as well:

a place for everything, everything in its place:

There's just enough room for my wallet and cell phone. Oh, and here's some gratuitous shots of her as She sits now:

Oh, and here's a little teaser of the new shop space we're moving into:

We actually moved everything last night but I couldn't get a good pic. The unit is a 14x40 if I'm not mistaken...and we have a man cave in the back. Stay tuned, and thanks for viewing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just dropping in for a little update. Seems as though the SV is running real rich. The rear spark plug smelled like gas and both were caked with carbon. I rode it to the gas station last night and when i get on the throttle, she caps out at around 5k like its got a rev limiter on the engine.

I started it up today for my parents and the exhaust was blowing white smoke when i really got on the throttle. Also, either my clutch pushrod oil seal or my oil drain plug is leaking. Still a lot to be done. I'm thinking i need to go back and clean out the jets/needles as well as give the air/fuel screws a small turn. I'm open to suggestions. Seems like this thread is a fuckin ghost town so far. Stay tuned.

#3 ·
i have really enjoyed reading and seeing the progress of your build. you have definitely made an amazing bike that stands out greatly from a bike that is seen and used a lot. it is definitely something to be proud of and im pretty sure this is one of only 2 green bikes that i can think of that i like. unfortunately i hate the color green more than anything. probably has something to do with my first girlfriend loving it. but your bike is quite lovely in that shade. keep up the good work and ill keep checking in on you

#10 ·
Haha I know EXACTLY what you mean. My Ex's eyes are Green and I was worried it would remind me of Her...BUT IT DON"T! Hahaha

the bike looks great dude!
i am really glad to see that you have a place to work on her again. The paint looks absolutely gorgeous! The "post build" gremins are always a real pain, but it is worth the work. GREAT job sticking with it!
lemme know if you ever need anything
~Chris
Thanks Chris...we both know you'll be hearing from me.

Looking great man. That paint turned out way nice.

BTW, your bike makes me realize I need dirty bars on my SV asap.
Go for it! I love it dude, makes the bike feel bigger than what it is with the more upright seating position. Shoot me a PM if you need any advice with a bar swap.

Awesome build!:thumbsup:
Thank you sir.

looks great man! what paint color is that?
2010 Camaro Synergy Green. Its a tricoat aka 3 stage.

Green Camaro....

Looks Way Better in Person
You know it!

I would expect the R/R to get WAY too hot where you have it mounted.
Not at all. Not only is it a MOSFET R/R from a CBR1000RR but the spaces in the sub frame allow air to flow directly on it. You gotta remember, the stock location is underneath the tail plastic and is NOT a MOSFET. That's one of the biggest reasons why the stock R/R fails on the first gens.

#4 ·
the bike looks great dude!
i am really glad to see that you have a place to work on her again. The paint looks absolutely gorgeous! The "post build" gremins are always a real pain, but it is worth the work. GREAT job sticking with it!
lemme know if you ever need anything
~Chris

#9 ·
I would expect the R/R to get WAY too hot where you have it mounted.

#12 ·
Been tryin' to Charles, thank man. Still needs work...they ALWAYS need work. The weather's perfect today. I need to take Her for a spin. I'll be posting more updates as they happen. gonna have a party at the shop on saturday which means get fucked up and work on our bikes in front of an audience haha.

#14 ·
I haven't been doing any real work on the SV lately. Just been riding the shit out of Her every chance I get since I had to wait so long during the buildoff and even after the buildoff trying to work all the bugs out. I got rid of my turn signals(for now at least) and my main focus now is gonna be towards getting the carbs dialed in and my gauges wired up right...but for now, I pic whore...

Oh wait! I did do a few things with it since the last real updates. The stator was fried so I bought a brand new one from Rick's. The new one's on the right:

It comes with bare wiring(no connectors), which is perfect because I'm running a MOSFET R/R and have a metripack plug on my old one:

So I did some soldering...some very poor soldering...but it works!

I also cleaned my carbs about 4 times and tweaked em as best as I could to run these pods:

I LOVE the way my engine sounds running pods, but I'll have to rejet and dig into the carbs a little more than I would have liked to so I just bought another stock airbox and K&N filter. I got a really good deal on Ebay for the pair, $32 shipped I believe. pods will be going up for sale.

Okay, NOW I pic whore:

Plans for the bike as it stands now are as follows:

-Build a tail cowl for underneath the taillight
-Possibly make some kind of side covers for the subframe
-Passenger foot pegs???
-Radiator guard
-Paint radiator
-Stock airbox
-Gauges
-LOTS of paint touch up
-Repaint the gas tank(its all scratched up and worn in some spots)
-Stainless/black chrome hardware on everything that doesn't already have it

Stay tuned, and thanks for viewing.

#15 ·
This is the most current picture of my SV since the wreck:

I've really got my work cut out for me, but I'm not giving up on the first bike I ever completely rebuilt, not yet.

#22 ·
We were using the stator cover off an 04 SV650 as an ashtray until I crashed and needed it...so here's a pic of the old one next to the replacement soaking in carb cleaner:

I can't do a whole lot with Her right now cause theres two cheesy ass CB550's in my way but I'll be really diggin' in soon.

#23 ·
I digger what the sv was before.. I'm sure you'll get her back to an even better look.
Pods are always a pita on the sv, just because so much air turbulence hits them. I hate carbs though, so finicky and adjustment always seems like voodoo magic tog et them right..

#25 ·
Today was a great day for the build. I picked up a 99 SV650 naked race bike with all the parts I'll need to bring Carmen back on the road with plenty of parts to spare. Check the for sale section for those ESPECIALLY if you race SV's:

Super sweet exhaust hanger:

Extra parts:

#31 ·
lol thanks man I wish I ndid too. I don't do this for a living. its just all I do right now. trying to get 3 projects built at the same time. my only real income other than disability is hocking the parts of my bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.