Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

UF's CB550 lady fighter

7K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  ultimate fighter 
#1 ·
Bike for my wife.

1977 honda cb550f supersport

So far i've located the swingarm and tacked it to begin the hard tail.
Slotted a 2002 gsxr750 forkset.
Wheels are from a 2013 honda cbr250r.
The seat unit was custom made with an old seat pan and some carbon fiber. It will be sprung with 5 inch behive springs.

I hope i can slip away from work enough to finish this. Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#3 ·

\/ made my own timing plate, pickups and trigger for a digital ignition. Excited to see if it even works.

no time to clean the garage. Just enough time to drive in some new wheel bearings and seals for the rear.
I had a katana600 rear brake system that almost works but it only has 75% patch contact on the brake pad. I'll have to buy the cbr250r bracket and caliper.

Also found a vrod headlight and HID kit floating in my parts bin. :D

Totals for the build:
Bike purchase $80
wheels $175
forks $75
headlight $40
HID bulbs $60
metal $25
muffler $free
seat pan $25

running total: there's not a calculator within arms reach and i'm tired as hell.

#6 ·
more horrible pictures. Just a bit of work done

The head light works for me, Just the right height.

Found a caliper and stay that will work from my stash (it pays to inventory stuff) i think it's r6 or r1
When the swingarm is removed the caliper will be stayed in between the upper and lower frame spars.

need to turn up a new axle with a smaller OD for the cbr wheel. Chances are i won't have time and i'll have to farm it out... :( Not my favorite part of custom bikes

Goals right now are get it on it's wheels by stem swap, custom axle, finish hardtail, remove cradle.

As much as i like the carbon tail piece i'm going to form one from steel that flows with the tank better.

Also going to do a head light shroud to hide some wires and encapsulate the speedo. Sumthin like this

#7 ·
this was along the lines of my end game for this bike.

Hopefully i get a break from work next week so i can order metal and do some holiday work in the shop

#8 ·
*Blows dust off build thread*

sorry guys wife had a honey do list before winter
(if you've noticed a log laying in my shop here's what i've been doing with it...)

turned into this

alright back out in the shop, my kerosene torpedo heater wouldn't ignite.
mice got in and chewed up the CAD cell wires and the insulation for the spark ignitior.

got that working then started cutting old frame,bending and coping some steel tube for the spars

that's all for today.

#11 ·
I've stared at the bars for about 45 min deciding if i want to keep them or start over... My decision will be to section about 1-1.5 inches from the center of the bars and pull them closer to each other. After that i'll feel for the pull back and (hopefully) won't have to rotate them out again.

#14 ·
hell, i'm sick today. First day off i've had in a while. The shop hasnt had any human interaction in over 3 months.

With the weather breaking here i will slow down. Hopefully i can convince the lady to let me start spending time and money on this again.

#15 ·
after work, i no sooner unlocked the garage, turned on the lights/compressor/radio and grabbed my phone to check the time... i got called back into work.

trimmed up an aluminum trailer fender and rounded the edges for a mud gaurd. Don't know if i'm sold on it yet.

chose another light because i want the most compact unit. Fitted a h4 high low bulb.

I also liked the raised glass section and mounting points on the ring (let's me hide as many fastners as i can from plain sight)

started bending up a ring, little by little.

that will give my a nice base to anchor my fastner buttons behind the shroud and give me that frenched look.

#17 ·
thanks for moving it, noah.

I'm more than likely not going to finish this in time (probably not even this year)

Hoping to bang around some metal tomorrow and tack some bracing in place.

#18 ·
scored a NOS gerex digital/cdi ignition off ebay for $39. Still in the original packaging with instructions. So i'll save my homemade pickup plate and rotor for another project.

I also pressed in the cognitomoto cb550/ gsxr750 stem swap bearings. (easy as pie)

By some stroke of luck or bad house keeping i had some un-opened wheel bearings that allowed me to use the cbr wheel with the stock gsxr axle. (i had to clearance the hub for the larger axle.)

I also ran out of tube and mig wire at the same time my neighbors started fist fighting outside. Time to head inside and grab a drink.

#20 ·

Was going to the boring chopper axle plates but i made these fit instead. Just a tease of what ive been doing past couple weeks when motivation strikes

#22 ·
Thinking of doing a custom modern looking short lever leading fork with coil over shocks and a small bellcrank on either side. Anyone wanna help me brain storm? Ill be using the gaxr forks but building the front end beside the bike. Plan on using the gsxr triples still. Ill sketch up the thought i have this afternoon

#23 ·
I'm trying to cook up a leading link front end myself. Info on the internet always turns in to : " Go buy Tony Faole's book". But apparently lots of sidecar guy like LL front ends,so you can find some info in that direction.

Best I can tell from my research is you should keep figuring rake and trail like normal, but the length from the pivot on the fork to the pivot of the link will determine the amount of steering input needed. Short distance= light feel, long distance= heavy steering. Guys who use the same bike for both sidecar duty and no sidecar seem to shoot for anywhere from 1.5-3 inches between the pivots. I'm getting the feeling it's not super critical, but info online is limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.