Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

My Big Build

161K views 992 replies 71 participants last post by  CK 187 
#1 ·
Decided 30 years ago I was going to build my own frame.... unless immortality kicks in soon I better get my finger out

A friend was selling this for a good price

so after a long day of driving

So now that the Bandikat is put to bed I reckon the time is now

this will be a long term thang, to be honest the full frame thing is a little daunting,

in for a penny tho

See less See more
#359 ·
#362 ·
Re: Yantosh - big tube GSXR

sliced up some of the styrofoam , will slice more tomorrow, end up with a block big enough

started on mounts for the subframe

they tie on here

the mounts will be machined to fit the tube, and the tube bent to suit

once the seat is fitted it should be about here

side stand looks like it's a bracket away from fitting

excuse the crappy pic, not a lot of room

and i forgot the styrofoam... so back to the shed

#363 ·

finished shaping the first subframe parts

tied onto frame

need more time to look at it, is subframe the right width for once seat unit made, is seat too high, no welding or tube bending for now

#365 ·

fuck it, break out the grinder, narrow the subframe mount

i'll need to turn up a pair of plugs to weld into the ends , but it'll be much neater

a form of illumination

common as you like, but I like it, surround will need to be made to match the bodywork

#366 ·

in uncharted waters here, I need to find a place to start, I thought rear plastics ...yeah ,do that first ... no, subframe .. do that ...

card templates, start there

I'll cut out kingspan tomorrow to shape, not wasting the styrofoam, seat unit will be open underneath so can just hack it out

decision made, get the seat fixed in place first,

I can work back and forwards from there

#367 ·

subframe top rails bent up

chopped them just past the seat , once the tail is made I can make more of it to suit

the bent up rails don't touch the pads under the seat, I want to have more support under it with a welded on bracket

started scooping out under the first layer of foam

which sits on the rails when they're flipped upside down, but once turned the right way they'll cut right through .... time to layer up

#369 ·

photobucket about to go tits up, they're going to discontinue the plan i'm on and charge much more, so best find a new host

Attachments

#372 ·

going to take a fair bit of shaping , possibly adding as well as taking away , thinking I might have to layer a little glass on the front arms once i'm happy with them as they're going to be quite fragile

Attachments

#374 ·

buffed a bit more of the foam , I'm quite liking the side profile so far, but the top profile looks a bit pointy, not sure if widest point too wide or tail end not wide enough.... i'll fit it all before deciding

Attachments

#376 ·

did a bit more shaping to the tail , lines are getting there, thinking I'll give it a layer of glass, make it a bit more solid and take it from there

Attachments

#378 ·

tried to like the tail shape, but like the old adage goes " don't keep hold of a mistake just because you spent time making it " , not exactly a mistake, but the sentiment works . I'm liking this shape better ,looks right squinty in the pics but it's getting there. I do have a tail piece sat on the floor of the shed that I like, but that's a last resort , this one will be made, if it's pish.... i'll bin it

Attachments

#379 ·

what I will need to get done before I finish the foam, is get the seat mounted, this innocuous piece of aloominum angle will hopefully go some way towards that happening , ideally by this weekend

2yr ago I had a knackered spine.... loads of build time

last year, backs little better.... gym and build time

this year, gym and my puppy both cutting into build time, no more commitments or it'll never get built

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.