Homemade Tire Changing Stand - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Streetfighter Tools Discussion about the tools you use to build and modify your streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Homemade Tire Changing Stand

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
MikeGyver
I hold grudges, forever
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:16 PM
Flip Offs: 88
Flipped Off 56 Times in 47 Posts
MikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympus
Default Homemade Tire Changing Stand

Sup peeps! I am going to need to change my tires soon and as I have stated before I hate other people working on my bike. I had the intention of buying the Harbor Freight motorcycle adapter so I picked up a set of Mojo Blocks from this guy: http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

Here is a pic of the HF unit with the Mojo Blocks installed. You can see the HF unit only has metal teeth to hold the wheel which would serious F up any aluminum wheel. (not my pic)

I went to HF and they were sold out. After looking at the display unit for a few minutes I figured I could make one myself. I took a camera phone pic of it and headed to the metal surplus shop. $40 worth of metal and bolts:

Arms fished mouthed and tacked on. Checking for straightness:

Cut out 3 sliders:

Fast forward a few steps and build the base:

I added some support pieces to the bottom of the stand after pictures were taken. Not sure if they will do much but it looks more substantial.

I think the max it can handle is a 22" wheel. My buddy has a Vulcan 900 and I wanted to make sure it would fit his 21" wheel. I added a threaded rod to one of the sliders to clamp the wheel down. Holds it really tight. I need to added a rod to go down the center of the wheel to get some leverage on the tire lever. I will add some pics and update when I use it the 1st time and let you know how it goes. Total cost of everything so far is $70 with the nylon Mojo Blocks. Harbor Freight wants $120 with the stand.

Hoodies

'98 Ducati 916
'04 SV650 - Daily ride
'03 SV650 (sold)
MikeGyver is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
1st bel air fighter
CF Pimp
1st bel air fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:16 PM
Flip Offs: 39
Flipped Off 73 Times in 23 Posts
1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Homemade Tire Changing Stand

hope this dont rain on ur parade but here is also another diy tire changer for those who cant weld
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

now excepting bike donations

my 1st build:97 zuki 750: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=22608 ... impounded R.I.P

Brenden
1st bel air fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
MikeGyver
I hold grudges, forever
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 88
Flipped Off 56 Times in 47 Posts
MikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympusMikeGyver sits atop olympus

Naw, it's all good. I wanted a legit tire changer I could bolt to the floor and have room to work around.

Hoodies

'98 Ducati 916
'04 SV650 - Daily ride
'03 SV650 (sold)
MikeGyver is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Stephen_ver4.0
Skunk Fighter
CF Addict
Stephen_ver4.0's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:16 PM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 29 Times in 18 Posts
Stephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to allStephen_ver4.0 is a name known to all

damn man I paid 300 bucks for my cyclehill tire changer. There should be a DIY moto lift with hydraulic capabilities.

----
Stephen

current manifestation: Ducati m900
Stephen_ver4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
endo
The Soft Serve Enigma
endo's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Flip Offs: 73
Flipped Off 96 Times in 82 Posts
endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Most Complete Theme 

I do not regret buying my No-Mar Tire Changer...that thing paid for itself doing tires for friends inside of 6 months...plus, having three bike of my own it's priceless!

Redefyned Racing
Project Redefyned 7/11

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

RIP Michele "MadMadame" Monroe, 30Apr80-24Mar12
RIP Gavin "Greencheezeeta" Butts, 5Oct83-8Sep09
endo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived endo!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
1st bel air fighter
CF Pimp
1st bel air fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 39
Flipped Off 73 Times in 23 Posts
1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light1st bel air fighter is a glorious beacon of light
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

yea o hear yea 45 bucks to change a tire here, thats the cheapest around and thats with wheel only, no bike, with bike its 65 fucking outragous, i had to sell my kidney last week to get my tire changed

now excepting bike donations

my 1st build:97 zuki 750: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=22608 ... impounded R.I.P

Brenden
1st bel air fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived 1st bel air fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Smoker
BLACK BELT

CF Pimp
Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st bel air fighter View Post
yea o hear yea 45 bucks to change a tire here, thats the cheapest around and thats with wheel only, no bike, with bike its 65 fucking outragous, i had to sell my kidney last week to get my tire changed
That sucks. You should try hitting up some bike mechanics directly, instead of through the front door.

There's a very high-end bike dealer near my house where I take my bike wheels, but I don't go to the service entrance - I go through the alley to the back of the service dept. The first time, I just stuck my head in and asked - "Do you guys mount tires?"

Full mount and balance for $20 USD per wheel. Cash into the mechanics pocket. I trust their work, because all the bikes there are more expensive than mine.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
endo
The Soft Serve Enigma
endo's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Flip Offs: 73
Flipped Off 96 Times in 82 Posts
endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Most Complete Theme 

Up here that would get a mechanic fired...

Redefyned Racing
Project Redefyned 7/11

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

RIP Michele "MadMadame" Monroe, 30Apr80-24Mar12
RIP Gavin "Greencheezeeta" Butts, 5Oct83-8Sep09
endo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived endo!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 37
Flipped Off 47 Times in 37 Posts
SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SEBSPEED is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I paid $86.58 for both the tire changer base and the motorcycle attachment from Harbor Freight, just had to wait for the $39.99/ea sale. Kudos for making your own though!

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

2011 Buildoff bike continued: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=47081

05 VFR800 - daily driver
81 CB900F Supersport - http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=47081
96 VFR750
83 VF750F - http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=18850
95 XR250R
96 XR400R
00 XR70R
03 CRF150F

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsroadeater View Post
Fookin luv them Hondassssssssssss.
SEBSPEED is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
quexpress
Fighter In Training
quexpress's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
quexpress is a glorious beacon of lightquexpress is a glorious beacon of lightquexpress is a glorious beacon of lightquexpress is a glorious beacon of lightquexpress is a glorious beacon of lightquexpress is a glorious beacon of lightquexpress is a glorious beacon of lightquexpress is a glorious beacon of light

Hats off to you! Great job fabricating the tire changer.

I envy your abilities but do not weld ... I have therefore purchased a HF tire changer and modified it for my needs.
quexpress is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived quexpress!
The Following User Says F-U to quexpress For This Post:
BurtonF166 (01-31-2013)

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools