Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Operation: Kwak Attack

29K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  reiko1078 
#1 ·
Here we go:

Got the EX 500 a few years back, began working on it.....but lost interest in the project. Hey, I had a bike to ride and wanted to ride....not tinker.

So, time to man up and get cracking.
The bike is 50 miles away at my parents house right now as I have no where to store it.
Just moved my trailer(300 feet), so the three items in red are taking up alot of my time right now. Until those are finished, I'll only have one day a week(Sunday) to work on the bike.
As soon as its cleaned out, the storage building will be my garage. :thumbsup:

I bought the bike without title because it was going to either be a stunt or strack bike.
Ever since I ran across this site,:knucks: she's going on the road.
Of course, that's presuming she'll run...
I'm not sure how many hammer mechanics have put their grubby little paws all over the girl, but with 25,000 miles and 21 years on the clock, hopefully they didn't hurt her too bad.

I will have to get a bonded title, which just adds time and money to the process.

The tank has a couple pin holes and some internal surface rust. Also some Kreem residue(nasty shit!!!!!)
Gotta patch those holes first. Then gonna use the electro de-rustification method that Taiden used in this thread

Sunday:
--Install oil pan
--fill with motor blood
--If battery holds charge, turn the bitch over :party-smiley:
--take more pics

Project: Kwak Attack

EX 500 to-do list

Put up fence> DONE!!!

Front porch> up next!
Clean out storage building

Primary

--resolve title issues
--install oil pan__DONE
--oil fill__DONE
--battery
--finish cleaning out tank!!!
--patch tank
--electro-coat tank
--carb boots
--crankcase breather
--chain and sprockets kit
--fix rear brake pedal
--tires

_________

Secondary
--headlights/tailights/turn signals
--bar end mirrors
--dogbones to raise rear
--clean/de-rust headers
--shorten headers
--wrap headers
--cut down mufflers
--sub frame mod
--cut/make short sean pan
--rear tail

I know, I know....lots of talky-words and nothing to look at :doh:
Here's a couple of my ugly bike plus a lil sumthin' easy on the eyes.... :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had to get a bonded title to. Man was that a pain in the ass. anyways looks like ya got a lot of shit to do so DW!!!!

btw i busted a nut over that pic.....:vshock: lol

#3 ·
That looks like quite a project, DW.

Reactions: DecepticonDon
#5 ·
Had a good day yesterday. Didn't get everything done but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Got the oil pan and oil filled, but the battery was fucked. It would only charge to 4 volts. :(
Oh well, charged a battery overnight and it'll be shoehorned in the bike soon.

When I pulled the oil pan, the pick up screen was about 75% clogged :vshock:
Should have got a pic, but my mitts were a tad grimy.
But like grandpa said,"boy, you ain't gone learn nuttin 'less ya get yer hands durty." :rock:
Good thing the oil pan needed replacing(drain threads were boogered up) or that clogged screen could have caused big problems later on.

So after removing the old pan and gasket, cleaning and installing the pick up screen and Ebay oil pan, she got filled up with moto-blood.

First-just rolled her out of the garage for the first time in two years.
Second pic-parts cleaned and ready to bolt on.
Third pic-done for the day. Can't even see the replaced parts. :doh: Fuck it! They're on the bike and crossed off the list. :tease:

Attachments

#7 ·
I agree on the ebay tank, by the time you clean it and line it you could have gotten a good one off ebay.

#8 ·
Thought about buying an fleabay tank, but don't have the $$$$. It's gonna cost an extra $100 for the bonded title. If I didn't have to pay that, a better tank would probably be an option.
But the tank has no major rust, and is almost clean.
The pin holes will get fixed in the next week or so.

to be done Sunday:

--fix leaky carb boot with silicone RTV
--flush coolant
--refill coolant
--install battery
--see if she'll turn over

#10 ·
Couldn't wait til Sunday!!! Went and put the battery in......she turned over!! :party-smiley:
Starter sounded a little weak but when I hit the button, shit was happening. She got spark, just needs some go-juice. :rock:
The carb boot was too deformed to be repaired--fleabay to the rescue.
gonna have to get some radiator hoses as the previous dipshit owner put the hose clamps on too tight and pinched the hoses. oh well, more shit to buy

new list for Sunday
--finish cleaning out tank
--wait for ebay parts
--I'll find something else :)

#11 ·
After a couple weekends spending time with family and friends, got to fuck with the bike this past weekend.
New radiator hoses went on easily after reshaping inlet and outlet connections.

BUT....
-Carbs leaked like a sieve :(
-starter still wouldn't fully engage with fully charged battery :angry:

Think the float bowl o-ring needs to be replaced. I never replaced these when cleaning the carbs.
About the starter.....not sure if its a wiring problem or the starter itself. Going to check relay and check and clean all the connections, then proceed from there.

On the plus side, was given some headlights and exhaust I may be able to use.
Exhaust is from a Z1000. Thinking about cutting it down to damn near nothing and mounting it underneath the bike.
Lights are Can-am DS650 fog lights. They look sick!!!

Will be able to work on the bike a little bit more as a friend will let me keep it at his shop. It is an Hour to the folks house whereas Sean only lives 20 minutes away :rock:

Attachments

#12 ·
Got a couple of mock up pics, although I'm torn

The lights
Decided not to use the original tank due to its condition. It helps that there a two different tanks at my disposal.
Both fit fairly well

First one is my friends 03 Z1000 tank.
It has a couple of dents and scratches, but is structurally fine. The only problem is the mods needed to be made to run a petcock. Since the Z is FI, its got a big hole where the fuel pump went.
The thermostat and rad fill will have to be relocated to use this tank also.

Attachments

#13 ·
Second is a 92 Katana tank.
It has a petcock and I won't have to move the thermostat to use it.

Attachments

#14 ·
She lives!!!
After a couple parts, she fired right up.
One problem, though..... only running on one cyl at idle :(
Second cyl kicks in at about 3K rpms.
Not sure if its low compression or carb problems. Shouldn't be carb related since they have just been rebuilt.

Don't have much time to wrench on it this week, so it'll have to wait.

#18 ·
Will be interesting to follow your thread....I have 2 EX250's that I hope to develop into a sick streetfighter...Will be named Chun Li once complete and hope to airbrush the tank with a good sexy image of Chun Li....for those that dont know Chun Li was a female character in the video game series Streetfighter....

#23 ·
Appreciate the offer, but I live near Savannah. :drinks:
Yeah, same asshole from GSB and Georgiapacking.org

Ran into a snag, not sure if I have carb problems or something else. The bike is only running on #1 cyl.
Cylinder #2 carb *I think* is FUBAR.
Gonna tear into the engine this week. Since I'm not sure, need to know what condition the internals are in. And save up some dough for another set of carbs.

Forced some inspiration(beerseses helped), and got a few ideas. Can see it in my head, not sure if I can make it happen though.

#25 ·
Thanks for the tip, but I believe my problem is more serious than dirt. i've cleaned the carbs and doublechecked the adjustments.
Look at this pic. The red circles indicate where some moron(not this moron though) has drilled out some brass plugs(WHY?) and stuffed an allen bolt in one and a countersunk philips screw in the other hole. Behind these plugs are the fuel circuits.

If the carbs are the problem(fingers crossed), this is the reason.....

Found a set of Carbs on Egay for $80 shipped. Should be here in the next few days.

#30 ·
Got my front sprocket yesterday, so now the bike has a chain and sprockets!!!!

Back story: Two years ago I bought a chain and sprocket kit for my then '05 Yam FZ6. Bought a chain rivet breaker/tool then also. Didn't get to change the sprockets though....totalled the bike before having the chance. Tried to sell the sprocket kit on the cheap, but no takers... so I kept it. Luckily, the rear sprocket stud pattern is the same for the Kwak Attack as it was for the FZ6!!!!! just had to buy a front sprocket.

Its a Krause racing Sidewinder 520 Ti-smart chain, Ti-moly 16tooth front, Supersprox 48 tooth rear. It's the most expensive mod to the bike. :rock:

I got to use my chain tool finally. Worked nicely. Its a Motion Pro and wasn't cheap....but you get what you pay for.

Attachments

#31 ·
More pics

So what about a ride?????

I replaced the clutch cable last week, and either it isn't disengaging or the plates are stuck.....:doh:

Hopefully an adjustment is all it needs. Let ya know later. Gotta go do some more work on the BOAT!!

Edit: 500th post!!!!

Attachments

#32 ·
It moves!!!!! for the first time in three years, she moves under her own power!!!

But she's breakin' up at about 6K rpms. I'll have to tune the new carbs for pod filters. shouldn't be that hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.