hey yall, help me remove a gas tank please. - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Streetfighter Help Needed! Need help with your 'fighter? Ask for help in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > hey yall, help me remove a gas tank please.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
pakcman
Fighter
pakcman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:09 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
pakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well liked
Default hey yall, help me remove a gas tank please.

im sorry i dont have pictures, ill take some as soon as my gf brings over her camera. im trying to remove the gas tank from a 1987 yamaha xv535 virago. the gas tank is under the seat. you are supposed to loosen all the hoses and bolts then remove a bolted peice of the frame on the side where the left passenger peg is, then the tank should slide out. but it will not. it is hitting the tabs welded onto the frame, and the rear tire is boxing it in. do i have to remove the rear tire? and how would i do that on a shaft drive? and how am i supposed to center it without a center stand? this is fairly frustrating, please give any advice you got and ill get pics asap. thanks.

shite, one more thing, i dont have shop manual yet and internet wont give me one cuz my computer blows goats.
pakcman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
katana john
OLD GUY's RULE
CF Pimp
katana john's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Flip Offs: 271
Flipped Off 89 Times in 59 Posts
katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Linkmasters 
Default Re: hey yall, help me remove a gas tank please.

Don't know if this will work for you >

Jules: You sendin' The Wolf.
Marsellus: You feel better motherfucker.
Jules: Shit negro, that's all you had to say.
katana john is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
hrdy
Noobie
Senior Fighterer
hrdy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:09 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 14 Times in 7 Posts
hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...v535_fuel_tank
Quote:
All XV535s have an under-seat tank. Where early models (filler under the seat) have a dummy cover in the conventional tank position, later models have an additional upper tank and filler cap. Read this through a couple of times and identify all the processes/parts before you start.

Run the bike as low on fuel as possible. Remove the seat by removing the two 10 mm screws and lifting the seat up and back. Disconnect the battery. Remove the three screws holding the upper tank (later model only) one at the rear, one on either side toward the front. Lift the tank, disconnect the hoses and remove the tank to a safe place, paint costs!

Remove the hoses from the top of the under-seat tank. [On early models remove the filler cap disconnect the overflow pipe from the rubber tank cover and remove it.] Remove the left hand side cover to expose the pump, filter and tank connectors. Label and disconnect all pipes and electrical connectors. Remove the three screws holding the left passenger peg bracket (two to the left and forward of the peg and one above) and remove the bracket and peg in one piece. You could take the pump off now if you wish although it is not necessary. Inboard of the seat rails remove the tank securing bolts and large rubber damper washers. After a final check to ensure all pipes and connectors are removed, slide out the tank (and pump if still fitted) through the left side of the frame.

Remember: Tanks hold an explosive gas air mix and can easily ignite. Always work in a well ventilated area and avoid the use of exposed steel cap shoes, grinding and welding equipment and naked flames (like the pilot system on the gas central heating boiler in your garage) in the vicinity of open tanks.
http://viragotechforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1216
Quote:
If you are going to remove the lower fuel tank on a 535 virago (ours is a 93 model) then be aware that there are a number of extra tasks to be done beyond what the manual tells you:

There is a securing point below the battery box that will mean removing the battery and battery box to get at the bolts.

There are two extra bolts attached from the rear of the tank to the rear mudguard.

The back wheel needs to be removed in order to get the rear mudguard out of the way and then to give the tank enough space to be pulled back and out the left hand side of the bike. A right pain for a bike without a centre stand.
hrdy is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
pakcman
Fighter
pakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well likedpakcman is well liked

im also having a bitch getting the carburaters out. the air box is welded into the frame, and the allen bolts on the intake boots are super stuck, and i cant fit an allen key in any of them. im gonna have to go buy a 90 degree allen key with a super short fit.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
pakcman
Fighter

exactly what i expected, thanks so much whoever posted that how to. my computer is sucking and i can only read the text it wont show me the names of anyone posting. same thing with search engines, makes it a pain to google stuff. i read the first part online but it obviously didnt work lol. any magic spell to take off the carb?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
gary20082008
Fighter
gary20082008's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
gary20082008 is a good noobiegary20082008 is a good noobie

One thing I do on my project 89 Ninja before I do anything else is hit the fasteners I need to remove with BP Blaster a couple times a day for two days before I plan to work on them. I don't know when the previous (i think there were three of them) owners removed, tightened, or stripped a bolt. Some times you don't know what you got to remove, but a when you do it can really save some time and knuckles.

Hey, at least you have the making of a bike. Right?

1989 Ninja 600 (C2) aka Money pit aka Carb hell
2004 GXSR 600
gary20082008 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
pakcman
Fighter

yeah ive been hosing them with pb and tapping them with plastic. maybe ill spray em a couple more times and wait a few days. little annoying as i really wanna hop on rebuilding them. im definately gonna need new diaphrams which are going for 130 a pop on ronayers. any reccomendations?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
pakcman
Fighter

btw, thanks to hrdy for the post, helped me out amazingly. repped. got the tank out now just need to get that one bolt out from the intake boots. think i gopt the right tool for it. now i just gotta find my pants and DW.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!