D.I.Y Wheel refinishing - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

DIY A how to section for the members, by the members!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > D.I.Y Wheel refinishing

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
CBRRRT
Stinky Crusty Old Bastard
CF Addict
CBRRRT's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Flip Offs: 15
Flipped Off 6 Times in 5 Posts
CBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 
Default D.I.Y Wheel refinishing

I did a car wheel conversion to my SSSA and used an Inovit Concept wheel in silver.

And very pleased I was with it if I say so myself. Problem was I still had that scratched to fook black front wheel.

I was thinking of getting it refinished in two pack or powdercoat when I came across a thread on another site about doing it your self and save between 60 to 80 quid per wheel.

First thing the guy advised was to make a simple jig so the wheel can be rotated while you paint it. Fuck-it I can do that!!!

so I cobbled together some 75mm x 19mm softwood and a length of M12 threaded rod.

I gave the wheel a light sand so the paint stripper could dig in straight away.

I used a plastic tray to contain the mess as this is horrible stuff and you aint gonna wonna get it all over your work shop.

Then its just a matter of working it in and letting it do its stuff.

Its important to think about disposing of the used stripper as its nasty stuff.

I tipped mine on the roots of the cunt next doors tree, as it blocks my sun light in the summer.

your going to need a can of acid etch primer to key into the alumimiumniumneumnin.

once the stripper has done its job, lots of soapy water to wash off the stripper. At this stage dont be tempted to have a soapy wank coz that stuff fuckin burns.......... Or so I'm told, erhum, anyway....

When I got back from the ER I saw that the edges of the wheel were machiened, and thought they would look good polished, so I did just that, and to be honest it helped take my mind off the pain.

Came up nice

didn't it

Now it needs to be masked up. I went over the bulk of the wheel with masking tape, but found it crinkled when I tried to put it on the paint line, so I used electrical tape and warmed it with a heat gun to get it to go round and sit tight to the line.

You can see it better there

now stick the wheel in the jig

Here is one I made earlier (Bah-hahahahaha, I've always wanted to say that.)

Now give it some acid etch primer

Wait 15 minutes and then apply the top coat. Its propper wheel paint and is resistant to stone chips, or thats what it says on the can. Its 6.50 a can, but I stole mine so it didnt cost me fark all.

next remove the masking tape, make sure there are no dirt marks on the polished edge, then clear coat the whole thing

wait 15 minutes, then give it another blast of clear.

and its done.

It came out really well and was a flawless finish. It took a whole day to do, but dont rush it and I'm sure you'll get the same result.

Its gonna be a day or two before you can reassemble it and get it back on the bike but the hard parts done now so happy days.

http://www.facebook.com/honda.streetfighter Wun Farzund
My mind is glowing............................................. ...........Ingerlund
CBRRRT is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived CBRRRT!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Unholy_m
Sex it does a body good!
Senior Fighterer
Unholy_m's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Flip Offs: 298
Flipped Off 420 Times in 34 Posts
Unholy_m is really niceUnholy_m is really niceUnholy_m is really niceUnholy_m is really niceUnholy_m is really niceUnholy_m is really niceUnholy_m is really niceUnholy_m is really nice
Default Re: D.I.Y Wheel refinishing

I am going to have to remember that jig idea. Great job

Parts Fundraiser - Come One Come All
My Addiction (94 Katana)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.
Unholy_m is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
endo
The Soft Serve Enigma
endo's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:58 PM
Flip Offs: 73
Flipped Off 96 Times in 82 Posts
endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Most Complete Theme 

Good job on the wheel man, looks good! Can't wait to see finished pics.

Redefyned Racing
Project Redefyned 7/11

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

RIP Michele "MadMadame" Monroe, 30Apr80-24Mar12
RIP Gavin "Greencheezeeta" Butts, 5Oct83-8Sep09
endo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOME

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:58 PM
Flip Offs: 563
Flipped Off 444 Times in 149 Posts
CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!CK 187 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

CBRRT = DIY master

SUCK IT
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
gsf1200R
ShamanFighter
gsf1200R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:58 PM
Flip Offs: 484
Flipped Off 801 Times in 365 Posts
gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

can this double as a balancing device as well lol

Goal: Promote streetfighters to the custom motorcycle scene in America.
Plan: Spread the word to motorcycle enthusiasts through our forum & blog.
gsf1200R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
CBRRRT
CF Addict
CBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to beholdCBRRRT is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK 187 View Post
CBRRT = DIY master
Mate, I'm sure loads of people do this stuff every day, but unless somone writes it down the rest of us poor schmuks wont have a clue. Everything I do I've done for the first time, win or loose who knows. I guess I've just been lucky up to now, I've had a few wins.

My mind is glowing............................................. ...........Ingerlund
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
CBRRRT
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf1200R View Post
can this double as a balancing device as well lol
Bal an cing, Thats the name of a one leg Indian guy that lives down my road. I'm not to sure the device would help him very much mate.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
twr3cks
GURU

CF Pimp
twr3cks's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:58 AM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 32 Times in 7 Posts
twr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant futuretwr3cks has a brilliant future

Great write up, I'll be referencing this when I do mine. Thanks!
twr3cks is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
tony.lee.b
Yeahhhhhhh Budddyyy
Fighter
tony.lee.b's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:58 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
tony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of lighttony.lee.b is a glorious beacon of light

Dammmmm! i think im gonna have to do that to my rear wheel, stupid garage FUCKED up my rear wheel when they put my tyre on scratches everywhere. Last time i go somewhere i dont know/are new
tony.lee.b is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY