Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Jackstands 00 SV650 Part II

17K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Casper 
#1 ·
I feel as though I have turned a corner in life with my SV650, and it's only fitting that I start her Winter progress with a fresh start in a brand new thread. I will sum up all the progress so far in two versions.

The long version of course being Part I

And the second being the "Cliff's Notes" if you will. I got my 2000 SV650 in the Fall of 2009. With it when I bought it was tons of goodies like brand new tires, vortex rearsets/gas cap/sprocket, renthal bars, etc. This is how she sat:

Over the past year and a half she's had several things done to her, and this is how she sat as of last Summer:

With the end of the 2011 riding season approaching, I came to the conclusion that I needed to show my appreciation for all my bike has given me so far by way of a mild build. It was in the midst of all my planning, budgeting, and trying to get every last mile from her tired chain that this happened:

On my way to work, the chain jumped off the rear sprocket and collided into the clutch pushrod while entering an on ramp. It was a sad day, but the accident went as good as anyone could hope for and it only gave me more reason to set her up better than ever.

It rained the following morning. It was a sad day indeed:

My riding season had come to an early end, but it has given me nothing but experience, motivation, and time to get her back on the road with a vengeance. That's all for now, stay tuned as we go a little further into part II. Thanks for viewing.

See less See more
#4 ·
Haha, yeah the engines fine as far as I know. It just isn't practical for me to get her back on the road for one month, just to take her back offline. I've got some big plans for her, pics to come soon.

#3 ·
nothing wrong with that there motor. just need a new clutch pushrob and pushrod seal, sprockets, chain, and to park it in my driveway and itll be right as rain.... ok maybe not that last part haha

#6 ·
So after much deliberation I sat down with a pen and pad, and wrote out a list of things I wanted to do to my bike over the Winter. Here's the list as it sits on the table:

GSXR Front End
Trailtech Vapor Gauges
50mm Headlight Bracket/Redesigned Headlight
Fatbars/Grips
New Throttle Cables
New Exhaust/Muffler
525 Sprockets/Chain
New Swingarm
GSXR Wear Wheel?
Paint?
Clutch
Shift Star
Mirrors
Frame Cosmetics
Seat Pins

I have this list divided into three catagories:
1. Maintenance
2. Performance
3. Cosmetics

I also had it all broken down into three phases:
1. December
2. January
3. February

I thought this would be enough time to get everything right, but something tells me I'm gonna be glad I got the extra month to work on it.

#7 ·
So after all that I started combing Ebay and Craiglist. Ive already ordered a set of 04/05 GSXR 600 forks, upper, lower, and axle as well as a TwinWorksFactory upper bearing kit and the clutch pushrod/oil seal. While waiting on those I found a nice 04 GSXR 1000 front wheel with rotors and Tokico gold calipers with decent pads left in em.

I also already had a stock SV exhaust and swingarm compliments of Knifemaker87. Thanks again Chris, theyre not going to waste!
10/19/11

#8 ·
I spent a few hours in my "shop" cleaning everything, seeing how it all comes apart, and regreasing the bearings/collars on the swingarm.

Tokico radial brake calipers from an 04/05 GSXR 600/750, fits other models/years as well:

The swinger, not an upgrade but in much better shape than mine:

Swingarm knuckle:

I also cleaned up the front wheel as best I could. Not much else I can do right now. Once I get all my parts in, Carmen's gonna stay at my big Brother's house for the build. He was a brick sidewalk to a shed with a breezeway and outdoor work space. I didn't think he'd go for letting me use it, but Im gonna help him with some stuff in return. Now I won't have to worry about any assholes, idiots, or prying eyes while I work on my bike over the next few months. Pics of Carmen's Winter home coming soon.

#15 ·
10/25/11
Today I was on my way out the door to my Brothers house to clean up my Winter workspace and I found a box waiting for me. I opened it up and found this:

Thats right, GSXR USD front end bitches!

#16 ·
My top bearing kit from Twin Works Factory also came...its a bearing...you really wanna see a pic? Anyways, after my giggle fit over the front end I went to my Brothers. It had been a while since I really took a good look around the backyard, and I was taken back by how lucky I am to have this space to use:

I spent an about an hour raking, pruning, sweeping, organizing...what have ya:
Before:

After:

Essentially, my bike will go where the genny is now.

#17 ·
I've also been thinking a lot about color schemes. Until earlier tonight I was kinda set on a rich jade Green with dark Grey frame/swinger...then I made Kool Aid:

Now Im thinking THIS shade of green with a white frame/swinger, what do yall think?

#18 ·
I've also been thinking a lot about color schemes. Until earlier tonight I was kinda set on a rich jade Green with dark Grey frame/swinger...then I made Kool Aid:

Now Im thinking THIS shade of green with a white frame/swinger, what do yall think?

#26 ·
Okie dokies been busy the past couple weeks working stuff out on the bike. I trimmed ALL the extra fat off my headlight bezel because I thought before, it looked to big and boxy for the organic curves of the first gen SV:

then while driving to Fastenal for come kind of clamp to fashion into headlight mounts, my clutch fan in the Jeep took a shit and left me stranded in a parking lot...in the rain...with my girl...and my dog...

Luckily it wasnt far from my house so I hoofed it there,grabbed some tools, and took my girls car back to the Jeep. When I got home from my little walk of shame though, I found this waiting for me:

I also took some time and marked the center of my to ptriple tree so I can drill holes for my 1 1/8" clamps:

I just got it to my Brothers place Yesterday and after I parked it I just went straight home. I had a bit of a scare on the way to get my bike with my Dads trailer.

Apparently I have a 1 7/8" ball hitch, not a 2" and the trailer didnt like that much. Going up a hill at about 45 MPH the trailer popped off the ball and went skidding across the street a few times before its tongue came to a sizzling, smoking, spark throwing stop. Fucked up thing is I didnt find out the ball was the wrong size till AFTER I UNLOADED THE BIKE! Holy shit I turned white when I realized that.

Sorry gang, no pics of the crime scene, kinda the last thing on my mind at the time.

Anyways today I spent some time tearing down the tail section and removing the gas tank. Taking pics for reference along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.