Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Jackstand Johnny's 2000 SV650 - Carmen

45K views 84 replies 1 participant last post by  Jackstand Johnny 
#1 ·

Day 1 of the build

It's the first official build day for the 2012 Buildoff and I'm stuck at work until 7 a.m. My bike is waiting for me at my Brothers house until I get off. There Won't Be much at all I can do today except for getting her up on some jackstands*wink wink* and taking a few preliminary pictures as I don't have any tools with me.

So first off here's a list of the main things I plan on getting done:

2005 GSXR 750 Front End
2006 GSXR 750 Rear Wheel
Fat Bars
Gauges
Paint

#2 ·
Alright so I just got back from my Brothers house and got the ass end of my bike off the ground in preparation for the rear wheel swap. Along with it are my preliminary photos showing proof of the build's start date:

I promise I will get better pictures of how it sits right now. Please take into account it was under a covered breezeway, raining AND not full daylight when I took the pictures. I rushed over right after work to get this started.

#3 ·

Day 2 Of Build

Alright! As promised here are some better quality pictures of my bike as it sat on the first day:

I spent my time today stripping off the exhaust, rear wheel, carbs and wiring harness as well as a few extras here and there:

With the carbs off I'm gonna give them a good cleaning, and Ill be looking at the exhaust to see if I'll be replacing the entire thing or not.

I also got sick deal on a set of Easton Fatbars for $15. I had to drive an hour and go to the straight up hood for them, but it was fun:

I still don't know if these will go on the bike since I got a...wow, ya know what? I never showed you guys and gals out there in Fighterland some of the OTHER parts that will be going on the SV for the build...so here they are:

Thats it for day 2 of the build. Stay tuned.

#4 ·

Day 3 of build

I didnt do a whole lot today. I just removed the front brakes and all the controls. I did luck out finding that I don't need to buy another front tire, as the 120/70/R17 on my SV650 front wheel is in fact the same profile as the GSXR 600/750. I got a set of knockoff levers coming my way that the seller on Ebay has been kind enough to mismatch for me as Ill have an SV650 clutch perch and a GSXR brake perch. I'm still waiting on a lot of parts to come in including the sockets I need to pull the engine. I also cleaned the carbs

and stripped the gas tank of all the hardware in preparation for paint. The tank will be shacking up in the beat laboratory for the time being so it doesnt get beat up.

By the way, I stripped out a float bowl screw and for anyone wondering the Grabit extractor bits are the BEST. I has that thing out in no time at all. I already got a replacement screw(or 7) from Ace so the carbs are all buttoned up, bagged, and put away.

That's it for today, stay tuned and thanks for looking.

#5 ·

Day 4 of build

I have to work all this weekend so there's not much time for anything significant to get done. I did get these in the mail today:

'so I spent a little time modifying some bolts to fit them since the hardware that came with them were messed up:

I also made templates for the underside of my top triple. I plan on cutting out some diamond plate aluminum to put in the recesses underneath for added strength so my triple wont fail on me after I mount my fat bars:

#6 ·

Day 5 of build

I got my 2006 GSXR brake master cylinder, lever, and reservoir in the mail today as well as my Easton Answer fat bars. They're narrow which I like, but they've got a pretty aggressive sweep. I dont know if Ill be using them as I may just cut down the other Easton bars to my liking.

I also drilled the mounting holes for the bar clamps in my top triple after about an hour and a half of measuring. I took my time, and bored the hole out 6 times with 6 different bits after making a pilot punch with a tap. Here's the progression:

I still have a bit of work to do on the triple. I don't have enough clearance on the backside for the clamp nut so I have to take some material off. Only problem is my dremel tool just died for good on me so Im gonna have to figure that one out later. That's it for now, thanks for viewing.

#7 ·

Day 7 of build

As I was sectioning out some material on the bottom of the top triple my Dremel tool died on me for good. Since I didn't have any other way of shaving the excess material off I moved on to the stock front end of the bike. The top left pinch bolt on the stock SV front end is stripped almost completely thanks to the idiot previous owner, and I didnt bring my Grabit" screw/bolt extractor, all I could do was remove the 7/8" dirty bars and move on for the time being:

I still had some daylight left so I decided since I just got the hookup on some special castle nut sockets fabbed up for removing the SV's engine, that I would tip toe around that and figure out the logistics of pulling it out:
Gratuitous shot

Lowest most rearward motor mount

I ran out of daylight at that point so I grabbed a few parts to work on at my place and went on my way:

That's all for day 7 of the build, but I'll leave you with one more picture. It's of a particular shade of gunmetal Grey I like, and I'm now thinking I want the frame Black with gunmetal Grey bodywork:

Thanks for viewing.

#8 ·

Day 8 of build

This is gonna be a long day. It's 6 a.m. now and Ive been up since 2 p.m. yesterday working off/on with the bike. I just got done using my new Dremel tool to get some more clearance around where the bar clamp nuts have to go underneath my top triple:

Just enough room for the 17 milly.

#9 ·
I decided to mock up the clamps and a set of fat bars. These are the bars I'll probably cut down if I decide to run em:

I set the distance between the clamps to 128mm eye to eye. I feel like the space between them would be a good spot for my gauges especially since the ignition mount is in front of it all and out of the way.

#10 ·
Next up was the swingarm. I found a sanding disc set for power drills at Wal Mart for $14 and it worked excellent for getting the rough spots out of where I hacked off the chainguard mounts with my cut off wheel:

Well, my eyes are heavy and this song from Porcupine Trees is making it worse so I think I'm gonna pass out for a few hours and hit it up again. More to come for day 8 of the build, stay tuned ya little monsters and thanks for viewing.

#11 ·
Day 8 of the build part II

I woke up from my slumber at about 12:30 and went straight to my Brother's house to get this troublesome front end off. I brought my "Grabit" along with my power drill but the largest extractor in the kit was still much to small so that will have to wait again.

I did pull my engine though! I was surprised I was able to do it alone. I already had the bike suspended with tie downs hanging from the rafter so I simply took out all the engine mounts(with the engine supported underneath), and lifted the frame/swinger/front forks up over the engine and slid the engine out from under it all:

I might just paint the engine while I'm at it.

After that was finished, I pulled out the rear shock, foot pegs and swingarm linkage:

#12 ·

Day 11 of the build

I woke up early and went straight to Harbor Freight to get some of the supplies needed for the build. While I was there I got a few large sockets for dirt cheap, and a bolt extractor set that helped me none what so ever with getting the stripped pinch bolt out of the upper triple. None the less, I still managed to get the swingarm off, and since I was running out of daylight I just took the frame with the front end and subframe attached back to my place to keep getting down:

I ended up cutting the stripped bolt in half with a jigsaw, and then I finished it with my Dremel:

Im bought this stuff on Ebay called "Alumaloy" that I was told works great for filling in gashes in Aluminum:

After finally getting the stocker front end off and having the frame completely stripped, I decided to clean it real good before prepping it further for paint:

That's it for day 11 of my build. Next I think I'll be tackling the headlight bezel, tail plastics and a couple ideas for the wiring. Thanks for viewing!

#13 ·

Day 14 of the build

While I have some down time waiting for the Alumaloy to show up I decided to knock a little bit of the side work out. I started with all the machined pieces from TWF for the rear wheel swap:

Had to cut the "nipples" off the rubber cushions for the sprocket carrier for clearance:

Here's both sides of the GSXR rear wheel with the machined sprocket carrier and new spacers in place:

then I moved on to the frame. I had to remove the stock spacer in the top side of the head tube, remove some material from the recesses in the frame, and clean it up for the new TWF spacer to go in:

Here's the old spacer after removal:

The stock spacer(Left) and the new spacer(Right) side by side:

I also decided to try my hand at this self etching primer I was guided into getting by some members here(thanks guys!) I used it on my newly machined rear brake caliper mounting bracket:

I've got some flat black paint drying on the bracket right now:

That's it for now, stay tuned and thanks for viewing.

#14 ·

Day 16 of the build

I don't like sitting stagnant with my bike, so whenever I have to go to work I try to bring something with me to work on to keep things moving along. Today it was the subframe. the paint looks rough and Im getting some surface rust, not to mention a half broken seat stay. I am very fortunate to have a blast cabinet at work, which will indeed play heavily in my build:

Here's the subframe after blasting it with a sand/glass mix:

I've been wanting to cut off the mounts underneath the subframe used for cargo nets or whatever, as I feel it impedes the flow of the tail:

Since I've never welded, I had my boss reweld the seat stay for me...looks like he doesn't weld either:

#15 ·

Day 17 of the build

I've been up all night working on the subframe and I didn't like having plain old paint on the rear brake caliper bracket so I coated it in aircraft remover and started over with it:

While the caliper bracket "marinated" I kept working the subframe. I had to dress the wounds from where I cut off those loops I mentioned before, as well as the excess slag where the seat stay was rewelded. Gotta get it looking decent enough to BEDLINE!

Next thing I knew I turned around and that aircraft remover ate all the paint and primer clean off the bracket:

So I re-primed it with etching primer and gave it a couple light coats of spray on bedliner:

since it's hanging up right in front of my face while I work I figured I'd snap a pic of my "Do Work List":

It's not everything that needs to get done, just reminders of things across the board.

Then I got the subframe all primed up:

Here it is with the first coat of bedliner:

I'm waiting for that to dry enough to flip it over and bomb the bottom side of it.

#16 ·

Day 18 of the build

Things have come to a crawl as I wait for supplies and opportunities to do work. I bought what I thought was good ABS cement to repair some plastic pieces on the bike, but it ended up being a fruitless venture:

I attempted to repair my tail plastics while my subframe cured:

But it ended up being a total bust. Not much else got done for the build as almost everything I did ended up not working out and left me starting from scratch all over again.

#17 ·

Day 19 of the build

I'm working all weekend so everything I'm trying to get done has to get done in pieces. The local bike shop wanted to charge me an hourly rate to swap the tire from my old SV front rim, to the new GSXR rim which would mean a simple mount and balance would cost me over $75! I decided to try and at least remove the tire myself. After a long battle with trying to break the bead with the back tire of my Cherokee I realized there's a couple presses at work and one of them would have to do the trick. I used a manually operated press and 5 minutes later, voila!

I don't have any tire levers or anything so now the front tires on hold until I can get out to Harbor Freight again or my coworker remembers to bring his for me to use.

#18 ·

Day 20 of the build

I took my frame and swingarm to work to blast it in the media cabinet with plastic urea media. I took pictures but my phone didn't save any of them...

Anyways the plastic media really didn't work for shit, and again I'm left running around in circles for nothing more than experience on what doesn't work. Instead I have my swingarm and a few other parts soaking in aircraft remover, take that fuckers!

#19 ·

Day 22 of the build

I'm still pretty broke for the next few days. I bought some 400 grit sandpaper and kept gettin' it on the swingarm. Grinding out all the ugly spots, and prepping it all for paint. I'm gonna go with Duplicolor flat/matte black wheel paint:

I'm gonna turn the mircoshop into a paint booth to spray the frame/swinger so I gotta get all the parts and tools cleared out and moved into my studio:

#20 ·

Day 25 of the build

Black Friday. I didn't think I'd be going out into all the madness but I got my Alumaloy the other day and need to get this frame and swingarm done so off I went to get tools:

See the wheel and tire up there? I put that in there to go along with my other Black Friday scores. Randy(GSF1200R) was kind enough to mount and balance the tire off my SV wheel onto the new GSXR wheel free of charge. thanks again dude!

Now on to the bullshit...

...Yall ever use Alumaloy? No? Well it fucking SUCKS. Heres how it works:

Heat the Aluminum up until the whole thing is so hot you really worry about the integrity of the metal:

Oh yeah and make sure you heat the metal long enough to char the surface its sitting on:

tin both mating surfaces, make contact and let cool:

Watch it fall apart before your very eyes and wish you could punch the fucking idiot that sells this shit product:

#21 ·

Day 26 of the build

Today I went to the gun show. While I was there I set up a meeting with a guy for a pair of Yoshimura mufflers. They're beat to shit, but hopefully I can work with them:

I also got my weld on ABS adhesive today. It didn't act at all like I thought it would and even though it didn't do anything for my headlight bezel or the fan shroud on my Jeep, it worked great on my tail plastics. I also went to the goodwill and scored this little gem for $60:

Scraped the dried blood and stickers off it, cleaned all the electronics on it and she works pretty well:

And for the hell of it, here's a poor quality video of my recording studio with all the bike parts jammed in there:

That's it for now. Thanks for viewing.

#22 ·

Day 30 of the build

I stopped by my Brothers to check on my engine...it was still there. I also noticed I had tons of parts off my bike laying around and I've been lying to myself thinking there wasn't much of anything I could do to progress on my bike right now. I took the parts back to my place to evaluate what needs to get re-worked and give them a good cleaning:

#25 ·
A gratuitous shot of my microshop. By the way, Im standing in the far back corner:

For all you guys with a garage, be very grateful for what you have. For all the guys with nothing more than a shed or parking space, I feel your pain but you can make good use of the limited space you have. Just be positive and think smart!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.