fork swap for XJ600 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts Insurance

Fork Swaps Fork and Front End Swap Discussion goes here

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > fork swap for XJ600

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
titan
hooligan quads
Fighterer
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Location: wales uk
Posts: 342
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of light
Default fork swap for XJ600

so have the chance to pick up a DRZ400 supermoto USD front end among other things. when i say cheap i mean less than $100 with out a wheel but thats brakes the lot and a spoked wheel is available if i want it.

so i know most people say any front end will go on any bike just depends how much work you wanna put in but will this work with the weight and stance of the xj600, what's the pros and cons of using this type of forks on a heavy bike, is it even worth it on this project or buy it and sit it in the corner for another time because it's cheap.

i do know there are some much better options out there but this just came up cheap so got me thinking.

ride it like you stole it



Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #2
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:51 PM
Location: La Linea
Posts: 1,520
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 21 Times in 13 Posts
a_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fork swap for XJ600

Bad plan I would say. You will have forks which:
- are too long (chopper stance)
- too soft (pogo stick) for the 450lb XJ
- don't take a standard mudguard

Sure you could fit heavier springs, modify for shorter travel, and sort out the bearings but by the time you have done that you will still have an odd looking front end with strange rake/trail due to the axle being on the front of the fork, and it will have cost a bunch to get that far.

I would say there are much easier and better ways to go about fork swaps.

Unless you are building it into some kind of overweight overlander and want long travel suspension and wire wheels, in which case crack on

Depends how far you want to go, but hagon springs sorted my single disc XJ right out, otherwise the later XJ600 twin disc forks were pretty fair, anyway a big improvement. Or get later yokes and fit decent 41mm forks such as CBR600f3. Or go the whole hog and find some big USD forks but to me that's overkill on an XJ.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
titan
hooligan quads
Fighterer
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Location: wales uk
Posts: 342
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: fork swap for XJ600

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
Bad plan I would say. You will have forks which:
- are too long (chopper stance)
- too soft (pogo stick) for the 450lb XJ
- don't take a standard mudguard

Sure you could fit heavier springs, modify for shorter travel, and sort out the bearings but by the time you have done that you will still have an odd looking front end with strange rake/trail due to the axle being on the front of the fork, and it will have cost a bunch to get that far.

I would say there are much easier and better ways to go about fork swaps.

Unless you are building it into some kind of overweight overlander and want long travel suspension and wire wheels, in which case crack on

Depends how far you want to go, but hagon springs sorted my single disc XJ right out, otherwise the later XJ600 twin disc forks were pretty fair, anyway a big improvement. Or get later yokes and fit decent 41mm forks such as CBR600f3. Or go the whole hog and find some big USD forks but to me that's overkill on an XJ.
perfect mort just what i wanted to hear, i been looking at the later model front ends or even fzr fronts which are twins and should fit straight in the stock head sets but i think money better spent on upgrading the springs and live with the factory front end for now.

ride it like you stole it



Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
 
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
shinyribs
Fear the Plebians
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 10,649
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 93 Times in 82 Posts
shinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robbo
Default Re: fork swap for XJ600

I think Amorti is on the money. DRZs are about 330lbs and are notoriously softly sprung already.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:51 PM
Location: La Linea
Posts: 1,520
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 21 Times in 13 Posts
a_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond reputea_morti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fork swap for XJ600

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
perfect mort just what i wanted to hear, i been looking at the later model front ends or even fzr fronts which are twins and should fit straight in the stock head sets but i think money better spent on upgrading the springs and live with the factory front end for now.
Hagon springs with their recommended oil. You won't set lap records but it's a decent ride.

Also fit master cylinder off a cbr600f2 to improve the single disc a lot.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
titan
hooligan quads
Fighterer
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:51 PM
Location: wales uk
Posts: 342
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of lighttitan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: fork swap for XJ600

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
Hagon springs with their recommended oil. You won't set lap records but it's a decent ride.

Also fit master cylinder off a cbr600f2 to improve the single disc a lot.
yeh i think you recomended 1/2" master which i have (raptor 660 one) its a direct fit i just need to rebuild it as its been sat on the shelf for a few years and everything is dry as a bone hahah

ride it like you stole it



Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Reply

  Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Street Fighter Swaps > Fork Swaps

Bookmarks

Thank you for viewing fork swap for XJ600 in the Fork Swaps section of our streetfighter motorcycle forum. I hope you found it useful!


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Fork Swaps - fork swap for XJ600 on Custom Fighters Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.



Powered by vBulletin Version 4.20
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Top USA Streetfighter Motorcycle Websites