Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

UF's kz650 superbike build

79K views 311 replies 57 participants last post by  piester 
#1 ·
stella is a whore only a few have got to ride.

she's treated me well until the 32 year old motor decided to poop out. Time for a rebuild.

this will be slow at first until work slows down.

plans include, but are not limited to:

homemade braced swingarm
homemade stainless exhaust
2 up seat and custom subframe
17 inch cbr600 f3 wheel
1985 fj1200 big bore motor
old school gt500 headlight
dirt bars
twin piggy back shocks with direct link

still rebuilding the 1200 motor

i got it in march of this year for $500

and put about 300-350 into making this

See less See more
#2 ·
Did some work finally after catching a break from my 12 hour a day job :D

first my sister fried the clutch in her quad. We are going on a trip tomorrow so it need need plates

so i fired up the hot saw(plasma cutter) and blasted some bracing out so i can make up the thickness. Also have to make new mounts for the tank, as they were cut out with the flimsy braces. More pics tomorrow, batteries died.

#3 ·

need to extend the swingarm about yeh long

and yeh wide

still debating whether to:

twin shocks

do a direct link monoshock

cantilever shock

#4 ·
i have been feeling really lazy waiting for parts so i decided to mess around.

i didn't do much because i was slaughtering chickens all morning.
But i did snap some pics of the z1000 shock i'll be using "underslung" It also matches the colors i'd like to use: RED, GOLD, BLACK.

#5 ·
did some work but batteries died. Motor is set and i'm placing the motor then making some mounts and starting to brace everywhere i can.

Some more DW will occur tomorrow.

#6 ·

much needed engine gaskets

blocks made by a member here: pool player

did a great job for a decent price.

I'll do some bracing this holiday weekend and maybe get the swingarm with eccentrics finished by the end of the month.

#9 ·
17 inch front wheel coming from danny caos! He is the man. Gave me a killer deal, and it just so happens that i purchased the rear wheel from him last year :D

#12 ·
go the front situated. Need to mock up the right pitch and fab up some front-lower and rear mounts ta get this thing rollin!

i plan on tying my lower subframe mounts into the upper rear engine mount. Use your imagination :D

#14 ·
ran out of gas. Need to get the tank filled and get some metal for the swingarm. I'll be making engine mounts and doing some engine bracing this week. Need ta get this thing rolling again

#15 ·

poolplayer (lance) Made these eccentric bosses for me. Did a bang up job and i appreciate his promptness and quality. :winko:

it's a shame i'm going to carve off some of the precise hunk of metal :D

#16 ·
got my metal today. Didn't have much time. Got off at 8 and cut/bent some tube real quick and started lining up the jig.

The lights didn't even have time to warm up.

i hate this part:doh: i probably shouldn't know how much i spend
Bike build total:
hard parts: $275
contracted (machine) work: $100
metal: $45

this list will grow faster than my wallet :doh: but that's part of the game

cheers

#22 ·
i need to be swayed. I have been mulling these over for ages
exhibit A

exhibit B

exhibit C

The last person to help, didn't give me any constructive advice

yo dawg, i heard you liked exhaust so i put an exhaust on your exhaust so you can exhaust when you are exhausting

#23 ·
Dad got me a new shock! We figured out, the specs we needed and a m750 monster shock fit the bill.

thanks pops :D

i feel like a little boy that just got a gokart

#25 ·

i love splitting cases

new APE headbolts

mixed up some brandywine "candy" and found the first shiny thing to scuff up and test it on :D This is the new wheel color

ducati monster shock, needs cleaned up

Got some bores for the swingarm tubes and beveled for a nice bite

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.