Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Alternative to Welding Subframe?

7K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  up2L8 
#1 ·
Well im going to replace my current seatpan with one that is flat and flush along the edges of the actual seat, but then in order for the bike to look good im going to have to move, weld, or bend the spine of the bike UP about 4''. I know it would probably be easiest to just cut and weld and i can weld, but dont have a welder. :bawling: Are there any alternatives to doing this? Even if its alot of work or difficult its fine I just need to somehow figure this out. Maybe torching where the bend will be made red hot then somehow trying to bend it? Ive never done anything like this before and appreciate any ideas.

Heres the seat. Im going to remove the huge plastic pan with some kind of metal pan.

See less See more
#31 ·
Yeah an uncle of mine might have one. i'm also in the process of selling a bunch of stock parts on a hornet forum so im looking around at migs. CL and such. Yeah i'm definitely convinced, i'm for sure gunna weld it. don't want to take any risks.

#33 ·
I was just gonna mention that. Around here to can at least rent O/A and stick setups.

#36 ·
Dude, you can def rent a nice setup for WAY less than it will cost ya to drive 6 hours round trip, even if you're rocking a prius. Not to discourage members from meeting up and helpin each other out, but if money is the issue just rent one. and yes, at an equipment rental place, where you rent things.

#37 ·
well yeah, just figured maybe he comes down here occasionally. Seems lots of ppl form the phx n northern area end up down here in T town once a month or so for whatever reason. Y? Beats me! This town is pretty boring to me lol.

Reactions: up2L8
#40 ·
I think you're off the reservation dan....

there are def good looking welds that have no structural value, and you can have shit looking welds that have great penetration and are very strong. Esp with a stick welder, pretty much all welds are ugly. His statement was not ridiculous....lighten up.

#41 ·
I was taught to mig weld from my grandfather who owned his own welding shop for 40yrs. He always made fun of how they looked but said they were structurally sound. Just because a weld isnt straight or you let it puddle up to much doesnt mean its going to fall apart. How long have you owned your weld business? And its kind of funny how you insult me for asking a question about alternatives and/or welding when you yourself have asked questions about welders. The astro mig 130? Would you have appreciated it if a member started insulting you about your lack of knowledge? I think not. Honestly this is getting old. I came here asking about other members experiences or ideas so that myself and other members can learn from one another. thanks for your concern dan but be careful about how you word things man. thanks.

#42 ·
i was asking about the qaulity of the welder, its not like i was asking what i should get tatooed on my chest for my gf :thumbsup: I never heard of the brand and i cant afford (much like yourself) to go out and get one of the big 3

Welds can look shitty as fas as not being consistent and still be strong... but if its full of craters, undercut or you have spatter everywhere i wouldnt trust it. Like i said, i am being harsh but thats because we dont need any more members passing away.

btw you dont need to own a bussiness to know how to weld.... its called schooling, you should look into it.:rock:

p.s. up2tite no VIP no care :fu:

#43 ·
oh yeah, i dont have hard facts on this... just what i have read and been told but from what i am hearing clarke welders are pretty ok for the money. Parts can be found on ebay and they can do flux core or gas for the same price.

#44 ·
dan may seem to be a lil harsh but nothing feels like a rotating tire being jammed up your ass. puts the little giddy up in your step in the morning.

idk y your so gun ho about doin everything yourself even if your a lil worried about how it may turn out.

imho if its over your head or you dont have the equipment to do it properly then its not a cop out to get it farmed out. its actually being smart about it, your project will thank you in the long run instead of havin to go back multiple times to fix stuff that could have been done once and your time better utilized to other parts of the project. (trust me i have deff been there)

if you must do it yourself have someone show ya on some similar metal and once you can get consistent at making good clean structural welds then go for it.

or dont heed to any advice do it yourself and see what happens. we are only here to offer advice that may help, if ya dont take it then its cool

#45 ·
I learned to weld from a friend with a flux core, he would strap 2 pieces of steel in a vise, tell me to tack em together with 2 tacks. once I did that, he would tell me to fill the line. When I was done he would come over look at it, and explain to me why it wasnt a good weld, what I did wrong, and how to correct it once its there.
Dude knew his shit.
From there it was a bunch of shite factories, welding with 50 others on a line, getting spattered left and right from all angles. Now its simply for my own shit when I need it.

#47 ·
hobart is a really good welder for the money

#48 ·
Deathmetaldan, i sent you a PM, did you get it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.