Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Dimple Dies - advice?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DrJellyFingers 
#1 ·
Anybody used dimple dies? Looking at getting either a .75" or 1" and using it with a bolt. Will be dimpling .125" mild steel (usually the limit on such dies) and can't use a press (its a tube).

Hoping to keep the cost down, so using the bolt instead of buying a hydraulic puller (like HF's knockout punch).

If you don't know what a dimple die is, its a pair of metal pieces that turn a plain hole into one that is a "dimple", to add stiffness. Pretty common for car guys to use em, not so much for motorcycles. Most common place to see them used is speed holes on sheet metal (fender struts, chain guards).

See less See more
#2 ·
Ive never used dimple dies, but I do have a hole die at work for punching up to 1.25" electrical knock out holes, which is actually about 1.5" when measured. It's bolt driven and does fine. It takes some muscle, but not too bad. I don't know how shearing a hole would compare to dimpling. Dimples might actually be harder, but the bolt seems OK to me. Use fine threads, a few oiled washers and that'll help cut down on friction.

#3 ·
Thanks, sounds like good advice, hadn't thought of using fine threads but that's exactly where they are needed, oiled washers sound a good trick too. Looks like I'll be going with 3/4" because the 1" die is to big to make holes on the short side of a 2" x 4" x 1/8" wall rectangular tube (contacted mnfr, 1" hole die is 2.1" vs 3/4" hole using 1.7" die).

Doesn't save much weight, but will look trick. :)

#5 ·
#4 ·
I don't see why that would be a problem. Just get a high grade nut/bolt combo with some washers on each side to help slide, and start with a ratchet, and when you get the hang of it, you might be able use an impact on a slow setting to do the grunt. Just practice on something you don't care about to get it down first.

I would also lube the dies and washer before each go. I personally use Magic Tap for stuff like that, but you could probably use WD or 30w oil all the same. The point is just to lube it.

#6 ·
I would also lube the dies and washer before each go. I personally use Magic Tap for stuff like that, but you could probably use WD or 30w oil all the same. The point is just to lube it.
I think that's a given anytime you plan to cram something into a hole hard enough to stretch the hole out, and want it to come out again in one piece. :)

#9 ·
Finally found some at a good price. The indexing for these things on Amazon and Ebay SUCKS, but it looks like a company called "Specialty Products" makes the style I want, and sells em cheap (like, cheaper than I could get the metal for). Apparently they call them "flared hole dies", which explains why they didn't show up until I dug through many pages. So, yeah, if yer looking to buy some, remember that (like lots of old school tools) they have multiple names.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SBXRCE

#10 ·
This got me interested. I could have a use for one 1" die pair for a future project, planning to make a bobber style bike with no subframe whatsoever and a vintage tractor style seat I could reinforce with some flared holes, the trick is I don't know what the tool is called in Finnish so can't find any, and the ones kn ebay seems so expensive, like 60e and up, that I think I could get a pair from here cheaper if I'd only know what to ask for. I do have a 10ton (metric) floor press so no probs there... someone with a lathe could orobly turn me a pair if I can't find singles, those are the kind of stuff that tends to get sold as sets...

#11 ·
Don't know nothing about dimpled dies, I do however know little sum sum about dimpled asses. Love day shyt

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.