Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

3D Mockup

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  fieldarcher 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I see some of you guys making mock up or models
in a 3d drawing program. Do you buy the standard
motorcycles in the program's format and then edit it?
or do you guys really measure all the parts and angles
and then draw it in the specific program?

#4 ·
Yup, unless you work for the manufacturer's engineering department CAD files are hard to come by. Eng docs like that are proprietary so they aren't typically released to the public. That's not to say that you can't measure and make your own models - that's what I'm doing!

Each CAD package has its own native format that is best to use. There are a few standard formats (.IGES, .STEP, .STL, etc) but they are more difficult to modify well than a native format.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who has already modeled it up

#5 ·
i reverse engineer everything I need. When i was designing tail sections for my bike i modeled the chassis(frame, suspension, wheels) and the tank to help me along.

I upload a lot of stuff to www.GrabCAD.com and so do lots of other users. There are several motorcycle guys on there and ive seen a few different engines and chassis components.

#6 ·
Shift1313: Thanks for sharing the link! Nice!

Have you ever tried contacting some of the companies regarding CAD files? I find, that as long as you ask for .STEP files, people are less hesitant about giving them away.
(Allthough, my experience mostly accounts for pumps, vaccum systems and other Industrial items)

By the way, I have been looking for a Suzuki TL1000 engine. If somebody comes across one, I will greatly appreciate a link.

#9 ·
I do work for manufacturers and on occasion they have given me files(they are paying me to do the work), but other times they won't release them. There are tons of legal steps to go through and as a private party you will never get any. You can send parts off and pay companies to reverse engineer them for you. I don't typically need an entire part, only sections of it, so i end up laser scanning and reverse engineering just what I need. For some stuff i can do it pretty quick(under an hour).

This is assuming you are talking about cars or motorcycles. Now stuff like electric motors, fittings etc can be had usually. Each mfg will have CAD files on their website or listed through other sites. For instance i use 3m stuff all the time and their site is great for connectors. mcmaster.com has tons of hardware and fittings, motors etc.

#8 ·
Whats everyones program of choice here? I used to be into 3D CAD / CAM a while back and want to get back into it but am now a bit out of touch. I don't necessary need the most user friendly one out there but something you guys all use and i could pester for tips and trick would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.