3D Printing Components - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts Insurance

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 3D Printing Components

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Ketos750
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:13 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ketos750 is a NOOB
Default 3D Printing Components

So I have been designing and fabricating equipment at work for several years using AutoCAD, Blender, Sketchup, and Solidworks. They all have their advantages, but for the person looking to get into to part development, Sketchup is the way to go.

Getting to the point though, I don't want to pay $100 for a standard anodized aluminum boring headlight bracket when I've spent a year and wayyyyy to much energy getting my bike to the state it is in. SOOO I have started to design custom parts that I can print with a local 3D printer I've worked with before. The pics are the design for the first iteration headlight bracket I came up with for 45mm right side up forks. It is currently being printed and I should have an update this evening or tomorrow. Total cost with heavy duty Titan ABS in black was $55 (10 of which was start up, so more parts = less money).

I'd love to hear comments and advice on design, and if anyone is looking for part prototypes and tweaks I can do it with just a few measurements and your input. My guy can do 3D prints and CNC with different materials. The next part on my 3D list is a gauge cluster bracket to mount on my Protaper bar an ignition holder to move the key away from the bars, and a chain guard. Then a poly-carbonate clutch cover on the CNC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight Bracket 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	95153

Name:	Headlight Bracket 2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	95161

Name:	Headlight Bracket 3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	95169
Ketos750 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Ketos750!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
medimicated420
GURU
CF Addict
Flip Offs: 26
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: 3D Printing Components

very cool man. do you have any concerns over long term it becoming brittle? will printed abs wether the elements and deal with heating and cooling long term with load on it?
medimicated420 is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:13 PM
Flip Offs: 22
Flipped Off 21 Times in 13 Posts
a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

Not sure I would trust plastic for this application either.
Least I would want is metal collars where the fixings go through, so you're not compressing the plastic.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Smoker
BLACK BELT

CF Pimp
Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:13 AM
Flip Offs: 30
Flipped Off 10 Times in 9 Posts
Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I might be interested in some custom parts.

So, your guy can CNC your CAD drawings from 6061 aluminum? What about 6AL-4V titanium?
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
excellrec
Fighter In Training
excellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to beholdexcellrec is a splendid one to behold

Maybe do a design with dual clamps on each side to reduce the amount of clamping pressure on each clamp required to support the headlight? Like this, http://www.streetfightersinc.com/ima...ighBracket.jpg

Also, what is UV resistance like on the material you are using? That has always been my biggest concern with 3d printed materials. I've seen some materials degrade quite rapidly in the sun.
excellrec is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Ketos750
NoObie
Noobie
Ketos750 is a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by medimicated420 View Post
very cool man. do you have any concerns over long term it becoming brittle? will printed abs wether the elements and deal with heating and cooling long term with load on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_morti View Post
Not sure I would trust plastic for this application either.
Least I would want is metal collars where the fixings go through, so you're not compressing the plastic.
Im not too worried about abs getting brittle. The specific material I am using is significantly stronger than standard ABS as well. I don't remember if its TITAN or APOLLO, but they are both high end printing materials. Metal collars is good thought though, I'm hoping the four M8s will displace most of the pressure pretty evenly to avoid damaging the mounts. I did bulk up the mounting points though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I might be interested in some custom parts.

So, your guy can CNC your CAD drawings from 6061 aluminum? What about 6AL-4V titanium?
I do the designs and drawings, he proofs them and then prints. As for Titanium, I can check. What're you looking to create exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellrec View Post
Maybe do a design with dual clamps on each side to reduce the amount of clamping pressure on each clamp required to support the headlight? Like this, http://www.streetfightersinc.com/ima...ighBracket.jpg

Also, what is UV resistance like on the material you are using? That has always been my biggest concern with 3d printed materials. I've seen some materials degrade quite rapidly in the sun.

The dual clamp is a great idea, if this doesn't seem to support the light well enough thats version 2. I've seen that one around and almost bought it outright. As for UV degradation, I think its going to be alright. A lot of ABS parts are out there, and I'll likely paint these anyway.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Smoker
BLACK BELT

CF Pimp
Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:13 AM
Flip Offs: 30
Flipped Off 10 Times in 9 Posts
Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketos750 View Post

I do the designs and drawings, he proofs them and then prints. As for Titanium, I can check. What're you looking to create exactly?
I've already created a shitload of titanium and aluminum parts. Now working on a titanium adapter for mounting exhaust tips. Not sure what will be next.

Always looking for more help getting things done. The few machine shops I use are very good, so they are always busy, and waiting times are long.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Ketos750
NoObie
Noobie
Ketos750 is a NOOB

So here is the rough printed product. They came out great, and just need a bit of sanding and paint. They fit the forks perfectly and have the right amount of flexibility/stiffness to resist failing while absorbing vibration. I'll put up a photo of the final product when I get them sanded painted and installed.

Name:	Head light Bracket_ printed_lowres.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	95249
These people High Fived Ketos750!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Ketos750
NoObie
Noobie
Ketos750 is a NOOB

So here they are. I went with an orange finish, which came out good but I might go back to black.

Name:	IMG_1806.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	95337

Name:	IMG_1807.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	95345

Name:	IMG_1808.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	95353
These people High Fived Ketos750!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork