Weird sound! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts Insurance

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Weird sound!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
VF500 Fighter
Fighterer
VF500 Fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:18 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
VF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to all
Default Weird sound!

Alright so I have a Sym Wolf Classic. If you haven't heard of them, it's one of the companies that used to manufacture small motors for Honda years ago. Same motor as the cb125. This is my second one and they have been amazing bikes with no issues. My current one is a 2017 and I now have 1600 miles on it. I have had it since day one and spent lots of time making sure it was broken in right. It runs and sounds great, that is until I have ridden at 55mph for about 15min. It then starts making a very weird sound from what i think is the clutch region. I slow down so I can hear it and pull the clutch in still have the noise. It stays until I get to 3rd gear and goes away. I speed back up and it starts right back up.
Any thoughts as to why a brand new bike would be doing this?
VF500 Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
beezwiz
Fighter
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:18 PM
beezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to all
Default Re: Weird sound!

What gear are you in at 55mph for 15 minutes? then you shift up to 3rd? and the noise goes away? more info please.
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
VF500 Fighter
Fighterer
VF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to allVF500 Fighter is a name known to all

It's a small bike so 5th. And I shift to 3rd and slow down to 40mph.
VF500 Fighter is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
beezwiz
Fighter
beezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to allbeezwiz is a name known to all

So you have this little bike almost maxed out in speed (Top speed of 62mph) & ya have had it at this speed for 15 minutes when it starts making a strange noise.
I would say the motor does not like this... be it a bearing, belt, gear or some other component. I have seen performance parts for these bikes? Maybe if you have to ride at almost red-line speeds these parts might help.
Also what kind of weird noise... Squealing - Grinding - Chattering - Whining?
Just trying to be a help here, have been interested in a bike like this for years.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
shinyribs
My ribs aren't shiny
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Flip Offs: 37
Flipped Off 97 Times in 86 Posts
shinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robbo

I had to Google this bike. Man, that is a cool, fun looking bike!

Any chance the extended high speed use is producing heat/expansion in the crankcase that the crank breather can't handle?

If the oil fill cap is located on top of the clutch cover ( seems most are), maybe you're hearing squealing where the crank pressure is trying to squirt past the oil fill cap?
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
VF500 Fighter
Fighterer

So the bikes top speed is 65mph and is not red lined at that point, it won't actually get to red line. I had this exact bike in a 2012 and rode it max speed for 4hrs straight no issues. These bikes handle it very well. So I have been testing diesel oil in my bikes since I have heard such good things. I decided to go back to motorcycle oil to test. Last night I ran for 20 min mostly at 60-65 and no noise! I'm going to hope and pray the oil was the problem! Lol I'm gonna try to go test again on my lunch break.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
VF500 Fighter
Fighterer

Oh and if you haven't ridden one, it seen one in person you need to! They are amazing bikes. Out of all the bikes I have owned and ridden it is hands down my favorite. Very comfortable, can handle anything (usually) and extremely reliable.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
VF500 Fighter
Fighterer

This is the bike. My favorite part about taking this pic is how loud my son was yelling cheese! This was on his birthday Sunday, he got that helmet just like daddy's and got to go on a long ride. He loved every minute of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_103639_1495125442268.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	95233  
These people High Fived VF500 Fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
shinyribs
My ribs aren't shiny
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:18 PM
Flip Offs: 37
Flipped Off 97 Times in 86 Posts
shinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robboshinyribs must be robbo

That's a great picture. Couple o bandits... .
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
beezwiz
Fighter

Hey glad your got it figured out... Great Photo too.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion