Question Regarding Chain lengths and Sprocket sizes - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts Insurance

Brakes and Suspension Anything to do with fabricating and modifying brakes and suspension goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Question Regarding Chain lengths and Sprocket sizes

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Flanman3410
Fighter In Training
Flanman3410's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:42 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flanman3410 is a NOOB
Default Question Regarding Chain lengths and Sprocket sizes

I am currently trying to find information regarding sprocket and chain corresponding sizes. I have found about three different websites that all offer DIFFERENT information, so it is becoming misleading. I am trying to find out the correct size chain I would need to fit my sprockets but last time I tried this, I ended up spending money on three chains over the course of my endeavor. I am trying to avoid that, on this attempt.

My bike: 2006 GSXR 600
Sprockets: 16/54

I am getting a lot of answers that say 120 link but I have a 116 with a 47t rear at the moment. I didn't think that only 4 more links would accommodate adding 7 teeth on the rear. Any help or direction, also, if you give me a chain size, please explain how you arrived at it, for future reference I can calculate it then.

Thank you!
Flanman3410 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:42 PM
Flip Offs: 1,425
Flipped Off 873 Times in 397 Posts
ultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on hereultimate fighter spends too much time on here
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Question Regarding Chain lengths and Sprocket sizes

I always go long. No patience for math that might lead me wrong

Remi Gavin michele RATdad
UF's 2017 build off cb550
UF's 2017 build off discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
CB is cool as fuck , proper old skool kick your cunt in for looking at it funny
ultimate fighter is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
MikeGyver
\_(ツ)_/
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:42 PM
Flip Offs: 253
Flipped Off 131 Times in 117 Posts
MikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanman3410 View Post

I am getting a lot of answers that say 120 link but I have a 116 with a 47t rear at the moment. I didn't think that only 4 more links would accommodate adding 7 teeth on the rear.
Might be close, but doubtful. Remember, slightly more than half of the sprocket in engaged with the chain at any 1 time, so the chain isn't seeing all of the additional 7 teeth.

Do you still have the two chains you bought on your first endeavor? If so, link them together and use them, just cut off the excess.

Otherwise, buy a 130 link chain and cut off the excess.
MikeGyver is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Flanman3410
Fighter In Training
Flanman3410's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flanman3410 is a NOOB

So I would be more than safe with a 130 link chain? I don't want to buy a 120 as the mentality always easier to chop off than add links.

I actually returned both of them, amazon one day prime shipping helped me out A LOT. haha.

Okay, any suggestions on brands that offer 525 130 link chains?
Flanman3410 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
Mongoose
GURU
Fighterer
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to beholdMongoose is a splendid one to behold

why fuck around..

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/chainlength.html
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mongoose!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
imsolidstate
GURU
Senior Fighterer
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Flip Offs: 5
imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!imsolidstate is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

That site is all you need, that's what I used to figure out chain length and sprocket sizes to get the final drive ratio and wheelbase I wanted.
imsolidstate is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived imsolidstate!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
beezwiz
Fighter In Training
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
beezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of lightbeezwiz is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome site... the internet is a wonderful tool. Thanks added to favorites.
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-21-2017, 01:51 AM   #8
MikeGyver
\_(ツ)_/
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 253
Flipped Off 131 Times in 117 Posts
MikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robboMikeGyver must be robbo

So, what did you get?
MikeGyver is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Brakes and Suspension