Picking a good bike to build a Cafe Fighter... - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts Insurance

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Picking a good bike to build a Cafe Fighter...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #1
SBK1000
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:47 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
SBK1000 is a NOOB
Default Picking a good bike to build a Cafe Fighter...

I am looking to buy a bike and build it up to a Cafe Fighter.

I saw these Pictures of a Cafe Fighter 711 and I wanted to build something similar.

The thing is, I like performance and was considering getting a fuel injected bike instead of a carburated one.

I have seen a few nice builds of Bandit 1200 and newer Bandit 1250...

I was thinking about taking a minimalist approach... Removing all unnecessary parts. Upgrading both front and rear ends, with modern Supersports suspension and brakes. Tweaking the motor for performance... I do not care so much about a fast bike, as much as a great handling bike...

I like the fact that a lot of Suzuki parts interexchange between models, but I am not narrowing my options to just Suzuki bikes. I am open to any suggestions.

I have more time than money so keep that in mind for costs. And I have my Streetfighter GSXR1000 to ride and do track days, so I will not be bikeless if the project takes longer than necessary.
SBK1000 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore

rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 21 Times in 21 Posts
rex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on here
Default Re: Picking a good bike to build a Cafe Fighter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK1000 View Post

The thing is, I like performance and was considering getting a fuel injected bike instead of a carburated one.

... I do not care so much about a fast bike, as much as a great handling bike...

Not sure what you like nore performance or handling

Anyway, if you have spare tine and are i to suzuki. Get some older GS, and swap in EFI from newer air cooled engines, or even whole engine. Swap batter suspension.

If you dont have specific restrictions on frame modifications, make up aluminium bolt on subframe, but in the way it looks retro. With deep pockets you could get aluminium tank, and you will have light enough bike with retro looks but modern stuff on it

Meet Amelia

Her younger sister

and poor financial decission buildoff 17' thread
rex_saugerty is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
SBK1000
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 02:47 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
SBK1000 is a NOOB

As far as engine performance, I heard that some engines came with better cams than others... Some bikes came with better carburetors than others... You swap Parts and you can get better engine performance...

I was thinking that the Fuel injected engine may be easier to work with, than a carburated one... With a Fuel injected bike you slap on a Power Commander and tune it. Ad electronic components such as a quick shifter etc.

As far as suspension I am fond of the 2007-08 GSXR1000 front end... It has shorter triple offset and that gives you more trail and stability... I have seen swing arm swaps, and having a matching rear wheel would be nice. Changing geometry settings will help with the handling.
SBK1000 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2017, 01:38 AM   #4
rex_saugerty
V four honda whore

rex_saugerty's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 21 Times in 21 Posts
rex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on hererex_saugerty spends too much time on here

Carbs arent that hard. Plus you get cleaner look, due to less sensors and wires needed

Meet Amelia

Her younger sister

and poor financial decission buildoff 17' thread
rex_saugerty is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:47 PM
Flip Offs: 22
Flipped Off 21 Times in 13 Posts
a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!a_morti is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

I'm a big fan of cafe fighters. Prefer the top one to the second, guess I like more retro, seat on the second looks like a cartoon character of itself.

Finding the right bike to build is a personal recipe. You may decide that it absolutely has to be an 89 gsxr750 because that weld on the headtube (or whatever) has to be on your finished bike and be glad to pay through the nose for it... Or you may meet a guy through a friend who has an abandoned crashed bike he's been meaning to fix for like five years and you can take it for a couple hundred bucks.

Decide at the start of you want Efi or carbs. EFi is easy to tune if you have the gear and know what you're doing, or if you have someone who knows his shit. You can now also go for the auto tune box which seems like awesome voodoo magic. PCV is about $250 and the auto tune box the same, which will adapt to future changes whereas you'll spend the similar on dyno time for a one-time professional map.

Also consider Efi motors will be newer, so likely more expensive. Then you still have to hide the computers, sensors, wires, you'll need to use an original tank and fuel lines and so on and so forth. Carbs take a little fiddling with but you can get rebuild sets from www.litetek.co so cheap that you start there to eliminate issues, then you have your baseline and tbh, there's nothing left that hasn't been done with a/c suzukis for someone to offer a base jetting.

So you already picked your suspension.... Pick your frame and your engine, and get to work

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions