Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

at home powdercoating worth the effort?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rubbersdown 
#1 ·
this winter im planning on doing a full tear down of my cbr and either getting my frame and tank professionally powder-coated or painted and i am leaning towards powdercoating. more than a couple people on here have powdercoated parts at home so i want to know if getting it done professionally is really worth the money. it seems like it is way easier to do a professional at home powdercoating job than a at home paintjob. i would have to build some sort of large brick oven do to my frame but since my stepdad is even more in to building bikes than i am im sure he would be hyped for me to build one.

i would still have to outsource for sandblasting and stuff.

basically how much money would i save if i did it myself and what are my chances of fucking it up entirely.

#2 ·
It'll probably be more expensive if you do it just the one time. I think people here who have a powder cabin did so because they do more than one bike or PC for friend so it brings the cost down. Kinda like setting up a home brewery... Your first beer is gonna be expensive as fuck but it'll only get cheaper from there on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
Sorry no photos taken of the setup. I did them at work where we have an oven i could use to bake the items. The setup was always mobile and consisted of a refrigerator cardboard box with a metal rod through it that i hooked to the system, kind of a make-shift paint booth. The most time consuming and difficult part of the rims was the prep, sand-blasting, pre-baking then cleaning with acetone. Shooting the powder is the easy part, then its the waiting game and see how it came out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.