Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Simpson Outlaw Helmet Revivale

43K views 91 replies 35 participants last post by  5400 
#1 ·
Was having a look at my trusty old Simpson today. This is my favorite Helmet. It was also my first helmet. It's saved my skull more times then I care to remember. I had retired it last year after picking up a pair of AGV's. My Simpson had a good run over the past 7 years, but I miss it. Yeah, it's noisy and windy, but damit it's comfy and it looks killer. So I figured it's time to breath some new life into it.

I started by tearing off all the weather stripping. Over the years the glue had come loose, half the rubber had torn off and I had made a couple quick fixes. All of this will be replaced.

Here's the pile once I finished removing it all. Tools used were a ravor blade, patience and a lot of muscle.

I also removed the front upolstery and air vent screens. On this model the cheek and mouth piece padding are one piece of faberic. The one complaint I've had with this lid is that it was a little loose around my cheeks. I'm going to add some extra padding behind the cheek pads when it goes back together. (crapy pic, sorry)

Here's the inside were the faberic and screens reside. A lot of left over glue that needs to be removed.

All the weather stripping removed. It's deffinatly seen better days, but I have an idea to make it new and better then ever.

I gota go out and get some new rubber, spray glue and some foam. Gona sand it all back down and repaint it and add a little somin somin to make it look a little different :D Stay tuned.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, were the main impact spot is on the outside is actually were they piece 3 pieces of foam together on the inside. So it's right on the seam. The top and back of the lid has never been touched. Agreeed it's probably not perfect, but it's deffinatly better then nothing. Really I just love this helmet. And I don't have another $500 to replace it. Plus I'm bored and have always wanted to do a cool paint job on it.

#5 ·
o man. not safe. helmets should be binned after 5 years whether or not you went down in them...add in a few crashes. yeeesh.

what do you wear now a piss pot brain bucket??

ok rant over....make that thing look fuckin cool. badass looking helmets.

#8 ·
Did Work,

Ran around and started picking up parts and supplies.
Sheet of 1" foam from the faberic store to rebuild the cheek pads with. $3.99
Skill palm Sander from Home Depot $29.99
2 packs of sand paper, various grit. $3.70 each
3M super spray adhesive $16 DAMN!!!
Can of sandable primer $5
Roll or rubber door edge trim $6

Tearing apart and sanding down your rashed up $500 helmet... Pricless :D

Spent about 2 hours sanding on it this evening. Getting off all the stickers and adhesive was a pain in the ass, but it's getting there.

#18 ·
special mix huh :Evil_smile:

#19 ·
It's friday and the mail man brought me my special mix.

This friends is FIXit Sculpt. This stuff is awsome. It's a 2 part clay like putty. Once you mix it together you can sculpt it and form all kinds of cool stuff with it. It was originaly designed for taxidermi to make dead animals look real again. Eventually the movie industry picked up on it for special effects and display pieces. Once it hardnes it's like marble, but it still light weight and waterproof. It can holds killer detail and can be painted either wet or dry. I love this stuff.

This stuff is realy easy to use too. Like I said, it's 2 parts. You take the 2 parts and mix them by kneeding it together.

here's pars A and B

Part A

Part B

You just kneed them together like you do with silly putty when you want to get the comics out of them, LOL. Here you can see it starting to mix.

After a minute of kneeding it it'll become a solid color like this.

After that you can apply it to whatever surface you're working with and spread it out as needed or build it up and shape it. Here I started fixing some damaged spots on the side of my lid.

For the next step I'll be using some small sculting tools to start applying some detail to the FIXit. Most of it though I can form with just my fingers and a cup of water to help smooth it out and soften it when needed.

Now for some actual work. I'm adding some more detail to the vents. Kinda going for a bit of that old Detroit Iron look of yester year.

The helmet originaly had these ridges molded into the forhead area. I think they look kinda cool, but I want to exaggerate them a little.

If you look at the top you can see where I'm starting to add a peaked ridge that will go down the middle of the helemet. Probably go down the nose and mouth piece as well. I'll have better pics once that part's done.

I need to let this stuff setup for 24 hrs then I can sand it and smooth it out a bit more.

#22 ·
very trick

cant wait to see it come together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.