Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

MikeGyver's carbon fiber gas tank DISCUSSION

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  eatabullet 
#1 ·
G
#5 ·
Hi, maybe I'm being a bit thick here but I just read loads about this tank & am struggling to see what you are trying to achieve :confused: is it just a re-shape of the old tank that you are going to use as is but smoothed out & overlaid with carbon or are you making a plug to take a mold for a carbon cover off

G
#7 ·
Got it :)

One problem you may face when taking the mold off it is that the heat from the curing process can react with the filler making it shrink or crack deforming area's of your mold, ordinary filler is a big no no in the trade for this reason, any paint can also bubble & crack marking the mold as well .........

One way to minimise the above problem is to cover the finished plug with smooth sheet wax another that can help is a decent coat of 2 pack paint polished smooth & well waxed, either way double gell the plug & let it go off properly before laying the mold up, this will give you plenty of thickness to rub down the inside of your mold & remove imperfections before making the tank out of it, 1200 grade wet or dry & plenty of water & loss of finger prints will be the order of the day for a smooth mold here

Look carefully at the resin you use & speak to the maker if you need to as not all resin is fuel or ethanol proof.

G
#9 ·
Not my first rodeo, just my first fuel tank.

I'll coat the inside with a purpose made fuel resistant epoxy coating.
No worries fella you asked people to tell you how to do it better so I did :party-smiley: just trying to pass on a little knowledge gained from a few years in the trade :)

I'll be honest I cant see the point in treating the tank after making it as that's something that can & does fail (from experience) using purpose made resin to build the tank in the first place is a better option IMO but its yours so do what you think is best :)

#13 ·
I've had some comms with him. Alive at least, i assume he's well. As a Brit i'm not good at understanding the full range of the human condition....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.