Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Garlic's 1980 xs650 build "INxs 650"

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Garlic_Sauce 
#1 ·
What's up guys? It's been a while but I'm back now. Drugs are bad. Anyway...

1980 xs650 special 2. Bought it in 2012-13? with 11,xxx miles and a frozen motor for $200. It has become apparent that these bikes are fuckin popular nowadays between the vast selection of aftermarket parts and the hefty price tags for even the most haggard craigslist basket case's. I made a build thread for this bike but It's been some time since I walked away from her and my plans have now changed. I'm mostly going to post pics with a short play by play for now to get you all caught up. But first here's the idea:

A bare bones style bike that handles well, is fast off the line, makes decent highway power and is fairly comfortable to ride. I know, I want it all

Complete strip down for weight reduction and "tidying up"
Mid rise bars
Flat brat style leather seat
Front wheel in rear conversion
Smallish round headlight
Maybe just a small tach clock
Battery delete
Ss exhaust system
Carb work
Pods
New sprockets and a fat gold chain
Sissy bar
Lots of brass washers
Etc etc etc
Black paint, clean old aluminum and a titty bit of brass accents
And probably a million more changes.

The main focus of this bike will be the motor. Everything else will be there just to compliment it. Im back now guys... Pics anyone?

Thats Venturesomerite in the background there circa 2012

Tore the bike down completely Stripped, primed and painted the frame black

This is why my motor was stuck.
The bike sat for 2 years with no carbs on it so some wasps made a home inside the motor.

I ended up buying different pistons with sister jugs along with rings, nos valves, primary oil filter, gaskets etc. In the meantime I started cleaning up and polishing the motor.

Resurfaced the tapet covers and side covers with scotch brite pads and wd40

Soaked the top end in 50/50 pinesol and water and scrubbed everyday for a week with a brass brush

Found a set of bs38s that just needed a good cleaning and new jets.

Painted the jugs black and the block "cast" with VHT.

Got my parts

Replaced the rubber coated head washers with thick brass washers. This is what i meant by small brass accents against the cleaned aluminum. I love the contrast between the two.

The original oil filter was annihilated, and a previous owner carved his initials into it so i followed suit

I have a lot more pics to post but im posting this thread soley through my phone and its a pain in the ass. Especially since the photobucket app has crashed every time ive posted a link... Will continue in an hour or so. Hope you like it so far.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Garlic's 1980 xs650 build "INxs 650"

Glad to hear you are back on track. Looking forward to more updates.

I thought that dude in the third pic was wearing the box as pants :p
Lol that's Brian/venturesomerite, we've been friends for years and actually met through this site.

Is there a better way than photobucket to link pics nowadays? Or at least a good mobile app for linking? Thanks.

#6 ·
Thanks bro, I thought id get more input in the members section. Once I have access to an actual computer I can move the thread along a lol better.

#8 ·
Really? It kept crashing on me between pics but I guess it wouldn't be so bad linking a few at a time. Thanks

#10 ·
Leave the door open and just anyone will come back in.

Any yes, I wear boxes for pants, got a problem?

#11 ·
Boxer briefs Bri? The amount of nice billet parts on ebay is exciting, there wasn't half the amount of parts for these bikes a few years ago when I was looking.

These are a must since I need 38mm carb boots for the bs38s

I like the finned timing covers but I would never replace my original tappet covers. I think any chrome cover on the motor I'd like to replace with billet aluminum parts. Same idea with the carbs, nice finned caps and brass braces is what I wanna do

#12 ·
These are the headers I want. Fat SS tubing pretty much 90s out the head, straight down, 90s at the the bottom of the case along the bottom frame rails straight back then 45s right after the stock footpeg mounts with short SS reverse cone cans. The bike pictured above looks sick with the USDs but not the look I'm going for. I want SS acorn nuts and fasteners to match the exhaust system, brass washers all around against the aluminum.

#14 ·
Here's a super clean street tracker (nice bike but wayyy played out imho). This is the exhaust setup I want but just picture the cans half that size, love the 45 up kick. Picture this bike with slightly higher bars, a flat leather seat, sissy bar and the color scheme I've been babbling about. I want as little as possible on the bars, actually just super slim grips and levers is what I'm shooting for. Don't even really want any clocks but might settle with a tiny tach. Has hidden electronics and no battery, pods.

#16 ·
I haven't either, I think it'll look tough. We shall see

#17 ·
No update really but did get a pic of venturesomerite's 2 projects "uglier betty" and "coffee pot" as well as my motor as it currently sits up at the shop.

As it stands I've painted the jugs and block replaced the pistons, juggs, main oil filter, valves cam chain guides among other things. I still need to get the valve seats cut before I can install all the new seals I have since the valves are NOS and the head has some miles on it.

Present day shots of the motor and carbs. Really exciting to be back on this site and working on my xs project again. Even cooler to be doing out of Bri's shop "venturesomerite". Once this motor is buttoned up and re-polished I think I'll order the aluminum carb manifolds and brass washers for my tappet covers and carbs as well. I really can't wait to see how the carbs look bolted up to the motor after they're both lightly polished and jazzed up with brass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.