Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Grymm's ER-somthing...

32K views 228 replies 28 participants last post by  XxGRYMMxX 
#1 ·
So... I joined this place quite some time ago with grand plans of custom parts and carbon fiber but and cool paint but so far I've posted nothing. I have been reading and learning a lot though and while I haven't posted anything I have been doing some work and taking some pics.

This is what I started with. 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r (or ER6 outside the US).

Rode the sit out of it and then smacked it onto the pavement doing wheelies.... I'm dumb sometimes so these things happen from to time. Bent bars, rashed plastics, and a crushed stator cover and coil, total bummer.

Got into looking at ways to customize my wreck back to life and found CUSTOM FIGHTERS. New ideas flowing, odered some parts and stripped the fairings. Got to this, looks better already.

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally I wanted the catalyst 636 tail, but that seems to be the only tail swap this bike ive seen so I figured I'd try something different. After some thought I decided on ditching the entire subframe and going with a smaller wasp-ish race tail.

Bought myself a new saw.

Chopped some metal

And then waited for my little MIG and some other parts to show up.

#9 ·
But then I stalled out. Seems that offset shock, while striking, makes a huge pain in the ass to make a subframe around... So much trouble, I let it sit all simmer summer and played lazy. Then my parents retired to Florida and I was gifted by an entire garage worth of tools, building material, storage and chemicals. This completely filled my garage to capacity. No work area....

Now, nearly a year later if cleaned the garage out, set up new storage, new benches. And I'm back to the bike.

Got myself a nearly complete USD front end (97 750 SRAD) forks, triples, axle, wheel, rotors, calipers. Only missing a fender
Next to the stock 650r front end

It'll need yokes but I have a machinist in the fam so I'll work it out

Quick test fit to the bike

Next to the stockers

If only the stems were closer in size... Interestingly the 650 stem is both longer and wider in diameter than the 750 srad.

#10 ·
So, now that the front is a plan in action, I'm trying to figure out the subframe.. This offset shock is making it difficult.

I thought of a spine type of subframe in a couple forms...

Thought this one in some type of plate

Well shit, photo bucket is being an asshole so I guess I'll post more later...

#12 ·
Thanks Yan, I was thinking about a bit more angle to the tail but I don't want a nut cracker either.

I'm also still on fence about the headlight. Vertical dominators or MT03 are cool but I want something a bit different. Ive been into the XB fairing (stealing Yan's idea) and if I can't decide before I get it more together I could always go with a z1000 fairing on my stock headlight. Decisions, decisions...

#13 ·
My newest idea for the subframe comes with another big mod. Since the side mounted shock makes a symmetrical subbie impossible, maybe I'll get rid of it.

If I swap in a new swinger, say a 675 arm for instance, and build a set of mounts for the shock and linkage, I can get rid of that troublesome shock and build a normal subframe. Then just plug and fill the shock gap and I get all new suspension all around (er6 has cheap harsh bike suspension and I don't like it).

How hard can it be???

#16 ·
That tail piece flows surprisingly well with the tank. Keep it up you'll get there before long! Besides once you're done with it you'll find an another junker in the shed before you realized you bought it :D

#18 ·
I think that's my old tail, which means I bought it from the vendor in Vista, CA.
It was shipped to me in MI,
I sold it to Racing Geek and shipped it to WI,
He sold it to J.J. and shipped it to where? VA?
And then you got it shipped back to 5 miles from me?
Somebody mount this bitch, we've paid thousands in shipping already.
Bike's looking good, don't lose the direct link-offset shock, it's a great look.
Get back to it and we'll meet up next summer, maybe.

#25 ·
Progress shown is now about up to date. I played out in the garage last night and set this up for some motivation.

The whole thing will sit further forward but the swinger doesnt look too bad there in my opinion and I'll be able to run a wider rim/tire to boot.

Looking from behind it looks like the subbie will be a bit easier to build with a new rear end.

Swinger needs a bit shaved to fit the frame and some pivot bolt sorcery to make it all one piece, but i'm confident it'll work out. Building a shock mount will be fun though, any advice from the guys who have done it? frame is steel and pretty sturdy looking so I should be able to weld something in, just need to gert the arm in place and measure/build.

#28 ·
It doesnt... if you look at the pic closely youll see its just sitting at the end of the frame. I'll need to take somewhere between 3-5 mm from the right side and get new bearings and dust seal to fit the new, narrower space.

And what is your new seat height at? Because it looks rahter high.
Haven't measured it but I'm 6' and I like the seat higher up. I think the much smaller seat is making it look a lot higher than it really is (the new seat fits within the confines of the old subframe). Either way, I find the negative space between the wheel and seat pleasing to the eye so its cool with me if its high.