Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Seb's VFR800

75K views 302 replies 39 participants last post by  SEBSPEED 
#1 ·
A lot of people call this one of the best motorcycles ever made, and I tend to agree.

I guess Honda was being nice to the other brands on the market by not offering a naked version... would have stolen all their sales :D So instead, we have to build our own!

I'm starting with a reasonably clean '99 model:

I did strip the fairings and a couple other parts before the 1st:

Proof of start date:

The (rough) design brief... CBR1000RR tail, F4i RSU fork swap, handlebar and riser conversion, round headlight, front mount radiator, custom exhaust header with low/underbelly muffler and exit, powdercoat lots of parts. Overall, the usual crisp, clean, loaded-with-details build with a hint of modern cafe style.

See less See more
#7 ·
Just a little done today, but a little is always better than nothing.

Coolant drained, rads off, brakes (mostly) bled out, rear axle nut cracked loose. On track for fork swap by weeks end

Washer fluid bottle makes a good drain catch for coolant streaming from the drain at the pump

Not much, but at least it looks a bit lighter with the side rads gone.

Then I loaded the CB for a trip to the ethanol-free pump :)

#9 ·
More disassembly.

Removed hand controls, linked brake system, clutch slave, pair system, other misc stuff.

She's pretty grungy, got my work cut out for me to make it clean and shiny again.

Always gets worse before it gets better...

Found a broken airbox lid

Fitted the F4i forks and triples, and a set of brake calipers. The VFR wheel fits almost perfectly.

I did have to cut off the F4i steering lock stops to fit the lower, will make new ones later.

Then I offered up the CBR tail

I'm happy with how the shapes will blend. With the right blend panels and paint, it will look factory.

#16 ·
Here's most of the stuff that's come off...

Gas tank drained & off

Wiring harness (a lot of it!!) out

Fairing stay tab removed, still need to remove the other one

#17 ·
Quick mock up with oem tank and Hornet headlight

Same but with a 2002 VFR tank

Going to use the 02 tank as it looks much better with the tail, and the seat fit is just about perfect.

Did a little test fit of the front mount radiator, should work out real nice

Other side

Handlebar and risers on the way, hope they improve the look of the headlight!

#18 ·
The 2002 tank is not a direct fit, the tank hits the airbox lid before it touches the mount. Also, the hole pattern is different on the rear flange (front is a direct bolt-on though)

I figured out that a 1/2" aluminum adapter would suffice, and made one.

Next up, Taking a little more material off the frame so I can get the subframe positioned just right, then make the mounts for that.

#24 ·
Re: Seb's VFR800 discussion thread

The radiator is a Chinese VFR750 unit, works well on the 800.

The airplanes are all P51 Mustangs... inspiration for a theme build.

#26 ·
Handlebar is here, still waiting on risers. Shooting for subframe mounts complete and radiator fan sorted this weekend. Would have liked to have the bar height sorted with the risers, so I can start designing the headlight mount, but it doesn't look like they'll get here for the weekend.

Rad fan and brackets to mount the rad to the frame should keep me busy, also need to reconfigure the oil cooler.

#27 ·
Risers in

Adaptors rigged up

Shock swapped for 954 unit

Now "sittable"

Swapped in some CBR1k stick coils

And started on the front upper rad mount

#30 ·
Re: Seb's VFR800 discussion thread

are you going to weld the subframe brackets to make sure they can't rotate ?
Only if I have to, trying to keep it all bolt-on. Once I have the final brackets and spares cut, I'll torque it all in place with M10 course thread bolts and jump around on it, see how she does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.