Project Ground Pounder: 77 GS750 - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Project Ground Pounder: 77 GS750

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #31
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: Project Ground Pounder: 76 GS750

fyi my gpz 2valve head uses 36mm cv carbs , i think the 550s used 32 or 34mm
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #32
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of

Yeah they didn't step up the carbs untill the early 80's. And it was maily on the 850's. I think the 750's stayed with the 29mm untill the 16 valve units.
Scrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #33
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of

OK, just to keep this thread going. Picked up a few parts to throw at this thing.

Scored a free set of Mukuni carbs, that are in very usable shape, from a buddy of mine down in Charleston. They were missing a few parts. A quick trip down to Cycle World and Salvage down in Charleston, SC scored the missing pieces. New float assy, 4 needles, springs, 3 new slides, slide vacume cap and a handfull of screws. All for the bargin basment price of $20.

I got 2 shocks to use out back. I had a stock Slingshot rear shock and Buck gave me an air adj unit from a Kawi GZ1000. I'm gona try the Kawi unit and see if I can make the air adjust part a bit more adjustable. If that don't work I'll rebuild the GSXR unit and go with that.

I've had a few months to work this project out in my head and looks like I'm gona run RC-51 forks with an early R6 wheel. I have a set of Brembro 4 pots to attach and it looks like I finally got the info I needed to convert the rotors to 320mm.

The last big change in plans is still up in the air, but I'm leaning towards a total engine swap. I have a few oil boilers hanging around that need to be rebuilt, but I'm looking into picking up an 833cc engine from an undisclosed source. See what the future holds...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #34
MadMadame
Konichiwa Bitches
MadMadame's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 122
Flipped Off 105 Times in 40 Posts
MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MadMadame is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Undisclosed source anyone I know? lol

RIP Gavin "Greencheezeeta" Butts, 5Oct83-8Sep09

MadMadame is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #35
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It

maybe
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #36
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It

DW'ed today. Was some what of a spur of the moment thing that lasted most of the day. I had sold the stock rear hub to vwhammer, so my original intention was to go pull the rear wheel so I could send him his parts. Then I realised, well I need to put a wheel back in it's place so I can roll it in and out of the storage unit. So I decided, while I was there I would swap swingarms.

Just to refresh y'alls memories so you don't have to go back and dig through the thread. Here's where I started.

I loosly mocked up the swingarm. It's +9 over 95 GSXR750. Wheel is 18 inch GSXR. I'm going to have to shave a 1/4" or so off the pivot so I can fit dust caps in there. It's tight but it fits. Stock GS axle fit the wheel and arm perfect. Going to need to get some spacers made up to fit the pivot bolt to the new arm and some wheel spacers to line up the wheel.

Also played around with the shock placment. It's going to be monoshocked. Tossed a slingshot shock in there and it looks like it'll fit up fairly easy. I also tried out the Kawi air shock. I'll need to make dog bones and some spacers to get it to fit right. Not sure if that linkage will reach the frame right either. I'll need to look at it further to make a decission.

And since I was playing around with the shock I need some room to move so I pulled the stock battery box and electrics. Then I poped a temp strut in there so I could roll it around. I found a nice shouldered bolt in the frame that was just the right length for the dog bone to reach. I took it off the center stand to make sure it would hold weight. It's a little lower then I want, but nothing is tight either. Over all, this is close to how low it's going to be. I'll add a few degrees of positive rake to the swingarm and that should put it where it needs to be.

Pretty soon the idea of actually doing work on this thing consumed me and I went for broke. I started stripping everything off the bike. I removed the tank and started pulling wires.

Then I made my way to the front of the bike and pulled the gauges and headlight and all the cables and switches. Many, many, rusted bolts, striped screws, dried out ate up wiring and spider webs. Looks 10x better already.

I figured I would stop there, but I was wanting to save some space in the storage unit and start getting measurments for spacers and mounts. So I went for broke and started pulling the motor. Luckly, all the engine bolts broke loose fairly easily. I took this whole bike apart with a cheap socket set and a pair of vise grips I was doing pretty good untill I got to the header. Got 4 of the 8 allen head bolts out no problem. The last 4 were striped all to hell and rusted in the head . The bitch of this storage unit is there are no electrical outlets anywhere... except one right outside the front door that I just happened to stumble across. So I rolled the bike outside and broke out my dremel. I wound up going through 2 cut off wheels and 2 grind stones trying to cut one bolt out. After a half hour of getting sparks in my eyes and swearing at the fucking rusted bolts I gave in and broke out the sawzall. I was really trying not to go this route as it has a decent 4-1 header that looks salvageable. But there was no other way. I only had to chop 2 pipes, and I left enough room that it can be welded back easily. I have no intention of reusing this motor after all so it's not a huge deal, but I may want to reuse the header. That was the only disapointment of the day thankfuly.

But the following was more then gratifying

So now it's down to a roller and straped into the back of the VAN. Gona measure up the swingarm for spacers and start looking into what it's going to take to put the GSXR motor in there. See if I can get this moving forward.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #37
Bskicrash1
Rides DirtY
Senior Fighterer
Bskicrash1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bskicrash1 is making some friendsBskicrash1 is making some friendsBskicrash1 is making some friendsBskicrash1 is making some friends

already looks 100% better!!!

My 250 bobber build

sold

projectless at the moment
Bskicrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #38
Bad Kaw
Flying Squirrel
CF Lover
Bad Kaw's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:57 PM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Bad Kaw is making some friendsBad Kaw is making some friendsBad Kaw is making some friends

Yeah, you sure got a lot done. Keep it up!!!
-KR

’82 KZ1000J: Mods
’82 KZ1000J: ELR Clone
’82 KZ750R1 (GPz): ELR cloned
’78 Kawasaki Z1R (KZ1000 D) Bone stock…for now…
'70 Kawasaki KV75
’78 GS1000E: roller/project/junk
’84 GS1150ES: minor mods…almost done
’83 XJ900R: roller/project/junk
’89 NT650 Hawk: bone stock (hers)
'80 CR80: basket case
'83 CB1100F: slightly modified
Bad Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #39
ZrO-1
Go hard or go home

CF Pimp
ZrO-1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
ZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to allZrO-1 is a name known to all

Nice work so far scrappy

I am the hooligeek...
ZrO-1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #40
odieoh24
Fighter
odieoh24's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
odieoh24 is a good noobieodieoh24 is a good noobie

just gave my brother in law my ole ladies 78 gs850. she bought it for a beginner bike so if she dropped it no big deal-till she needed to pick it up anyway lol. too bad i didnt find this site till i had given it to him. looks like i'll have to show him this place and let his imagination run wild. i'll be watching this build so i can give him some ideas.

later odieoh24
odieoh24 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes