DIY, Homemade Media Blasting Cabinet - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

DIY A how to section for the members, by the members!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > DIY, Homemade Media Blasting Cabinet

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty
up2L8's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:41 AM
Flip Offs: 298
Flipped Off 90 Times in 54 Posts
up2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY, Homemade Media Blasting Cabinet

After many delays, my sandblaster is finally done, and it works great.

The structure of mine is elusively wood; I didn't use any metal to cover the inside.

I'm not gonna tell you how to actually build the box, if you need help with that part then you shouldn't be working on a motorcycle.

I didn't draw out a plan of any kind, I just started cutting plywood, and designed it as I went.

Early phase, basically just a box:

Here I enclosed the bottom:

Once the bottom was enclosed, I made pieces for the inside that made it taper in both directions, as you see here:

Found some fittings to run the air hose through the plywood wall. I think they are plumbing fittings though.

I installed the hoses for air and the sand pickup. I bought a super cheap blasting gun off fleabay, it works great, and came with the pickup hose, pickup pipe, and some spare nozzles.

Added a light so I can see:

At this point it started to get kinda heavy, so I added some wheels. Do not underestimate the value of this feature.

Then I put my door on. I used regular home door hinges, very sturdy, and cheap. Home depot sold acrylic sheets in 30"x30" for like $17, so I bought one and cut it in half, that way I have a spare for when the glass gets shitty. I cut the hole a little smaller than the glass, and made little wood retainers on three sides to hold the glass in, then I just used some race tape around the edges, and viola!

I put foam weather stripping around the edges to seal it, and used these style of latches, I dont remember what they're called but you get the idea.

I put a pvc fitting in the side near the light so I could hook my shopvac up to it. The vacuum fits in great, but I need to add some vents on the other side, it sucks to hard right now that you can't move your hands with the vacuum on.

Completed, ready for operation:

My local place didn't have any alum oxide, so I got impatient and went with glass beads. A little softer, but works great.

Overall this was a great idea and saved me a ton of money.

I spent about $90 on wood, $20 on the gun, $20 on the media, $20 on hardware, $17 on hose & fittings, $15 on glue and screws. I'm not sure how much I spent total, maybe $250, but I think to buy a unit this large would be $1000 or more.

It should be large enough to do my frame if need be. It will def fit, but I'm not sure if I'll have the mobility to actually do a good job.

ZX6R Streetfighter, sold to brother, on hold while away with military

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
Everyone knows dirt riders make the best street riders. If you aint slidin, you aint ridin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michjohnny View Post
ground up build. there will be alota blood sweat and beers in this one .
up2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty
up2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond reputeup2L8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY, Homemade Media Blasting Cabinet

Any questions or comments would be appreciated.

Does anyone know how much pressure I should be running in this thing? So far I've run it at 60 psi, and I fell like I would like more power. My compressor is pretty big, so at 60psi it only kicked on every once in a while.

What should I run, 80 psi ? 100 psi ?

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Everyone knows dirt riders make the best street riders. If you aint slidin, you aint ridin.
Quote:

Last edited by up2L8; 11-26-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Wes4386
CF Addict
Wes4386's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 75 Times in 41 Posts
Wes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to allWes4386 is a name known to all

That looks like a great setup! I think we run around 100 PSI in the cabinet at work

Wes4386 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-09-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
Truckinduc
I been fightin' gravity

Truckinduc's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 15 Times in 14 Posts
Truckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant futureTruckinduc has a brilliant future
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

I love it. If I blasted more Id have to build myself one. My question is where did you get the gloves?

I miss you Chris, You're my Hero. RIP
Truckinduc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty

Gloves were $18 on fleabay. THey're great though, cotton lined. They are just hose clamped on 2 giant PVC fittings.

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
WoodK61000
Clutch it up already!
Senior Fighterer
WoodK61000's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 27 Times in 7 Posts
WoodK61000 is making some friendsWoodK61000 is making some friendsWoodK61000 is making some friendsWoodK61000 is making some friendsWoodK61000 is making some friends

How much more would it have cost to do it out of sheet metal?
WoodK61000 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty

I dunno, prob a lot more. There seems to be no probs with wood construction.

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Phoebe
Swamp Witch

Phoebe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 86
Flipped Off 17 Times in 15 Posts
Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Phoebe is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

When I sandblasted in the past, I would crank up the compressor to 100-110 psi. It worked for me.

Looks great, up2L8!
Phoebe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
DougZ
All star !!!
DougZ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 10 Times in 8 Posts
DougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of lightDougZ is a glorious beacon of light

Looks great. I'd cross brace the legs if there is any weight to it though.

2003 Suzuki SV1000s
2010 Yamaha WR250R
DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived DougZ!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
up2L8
Ridin' Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
Looks great. I'd cross brace the legs if there is any weight to it though.
It's not even close to that heavy. It's plenty sturdy the way it is. The box itself gives the legs plenty of strength.

KXF300exc Dirtfighter

Quote:
Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY