Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
27K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  sympul 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I’ve been working on my SV for the last year or so. Sold my Buell Blast for what I bought if for and picked up the SV the very next day. I was looking for an SV for a month or so and when this popped up on Craigslist for a killer price. I snapped it up the same day the listing went up. Started out as an S model and I rode it that way for 6 months or so until I got tired of the wrist pain.

Picked up naked triples and full front brake set up. Needed longer brake lines and it was just cheaper to pick up the whole package some guy was selling on another forum.

So this is what she looked like the first day I brought her home:

Decided to go naked and start taking off all the unnecessary crap and go as light as possible for as cheap as possible. I did not want the massive stock gauge so I ordered a Vapor and proceeded to hack up the top clamp to get rid of the ugliness. Picked up some Dominators and sanded them down to put some trusted powdercoat on them. I had no idea what kind of quality they were and wanted to be sure they would not fade really fast.

Removed all the fairings and hardware. Pulled the front end off and replaced it with the naked version:

Top triple before hacking off the V section:

Back together with Renthal Fatbars and ignition relocated to the inside of the frame:

See less See more
#2 ·
Dominators fresh out of the box:

Dominators after sanding the old crap off and baking them at cure temp to get rid of any oils or other residue:

Dominators after the powder is sprayed before curing:

Dominators after curing, flat black and v twin orange:

#3 ·
Next was making the brackets for the headlight. I picked up some stock SV naked brackets and cut off the existing part I was not going to use and went to work on customizing. Decided to just run 1 light.

1st I had to cut off the S fairing mount from the neck. I wanted the headlight as tight to the bike as I could get it. No turning back now:

Couple of pieces of thick sheet metal bent to shape and tacked:

Trim the excess:

If it ain't tight, it ain’t right:

Poke some holes for that light weight race look:

Put back together, you can see the front of the top triple. I like how clean it looks now:

#4 ·
Next I went to work on the rear sets. The paint or powdercoat was starting to wear off and looked fugly. Sanded them down and decided to cut out some excess on the right side. No ill effects after a few thousand miles.

Before:

After sanding paint and removing some material:

Some guy on the WERA forum was selling milled down GSXR rotors. Took a pound off the back wheel!

Stock:

Lightened. You can see the shortened can in this one. The PO dropped the bike and damaged the side of the can so I cut it down and flipped the end cap around to hide the damage:

PAIR system has also been removed. New chain and +3 rear sprocket.

Still to come to reduce weight:

GSXR USD front (in the mail)
Undertail exhaust
Custom tail
Shorty levers
Home made aluminum kickstand
Home made aluminum subframe
….and more (cause I am having a brain fart right now)

#8 ·
Got my GSXR forks and wheel in a few weeks ago. Have not had much time work on stuff. Took everything apart and ordered new seals, wipers, and bearings.

In pieces getting ready for powder:

My iginition is relocated to the inside of the frame so the ignition loop had to go:

Have not had a chance to smooth out the fill:

I am going to powder coat the wheel a different color, just not sure what yet. Perfect wheel:

These damn machine groves are a real pain to smooth out:

Need to get the forks on so I can measure for custom brake lines. :suzuki:

Thanks for lookin!!!!!!!

#12 ·
keep it up bro, looks like your paying good attention to this one!

Reactions: MikeGyver
#15 ·
Got an email yesterday saying some of my fork parts have been back ordered until mid November. Lame!

Sanded the wheel some more. Getting tired of that thing. Probably gunna let is sit until it is time to powdercoat and finish it up then.

Cleaned all the casting marks off the lower triple and cut off the steering damper mount, got a little carried away and now it looks like a mirror:

My new wheel bearings and stem bearings arrived from All Balls. Good looking kit.

#21 ·
I like your headlight mounts. Got any pics of how you built the mounts? More or less the area around the fork tubes.

Nice looking build, VERY clean, I like it.

#24 ·
Got crackin' on the major mods. It rained last week and decided it was time to start. Now it is super nice out :doh:

While I had it striped I took a pick of the little bracket I made to mount the ignition. I cut and grinded the shiny aluminum piece to fill the gap between the ignition and the nearest screw. The other side of the ignition is screwed into the coolant fitting. Just rerouted the wires and done. Super easy to do.

Tail off. Friggin steel subframe is 9 lbs 14 oz.

Started work on the through-swinger exhaust. Picked up some stainless from Online Metals and some prebent sections from some other online outfit, I forgot who, and went to work. I have seen a bunch of guys route the exhaust around the swinger, but I hate the way that looks. Not much clearance in the swinger for a 1.5" and 2" pipe but it fits. Need to figure out the merge section from dual 1.5" to single 2"

#27 · (Edited)
Gunna update this to include the buildoff link and the final pictures.

2011 Buildoff thread starts where this thread left off, here.

Pictures of the end product before I sold it. Regretting the sale now. If I don't like the Ducati I will rebuild another SV650 to match this one. Not a super fast bike, but it was so much fun. One of those bikes that you sit in, not on.

-2006 GSXR 600 front end with '06 rim. Lower triple and forks have been powder coated gloss black. Wheels have been powder coated sparkle red. Dominator trim ring, gas tank trim ring, and headlight clamp brackets match the wheels.
-Low friction seals and dust shields.
-New bearings in both wheels. New bearings in the steering stem.
-Lightened GSXR front rotors.
-R6 monoblock calipers with Carbone Lorraine pads.
-GSXR radial master with HEL stainless braided double brake lines.
-Dominator headlight w/custom brackets. (R6 rear shock linkages bent as needed and held in place by rubber lined electrical clamps)
-Vapor gauge
-Rental Fatbar CR High bend
-R6 throttle tube
-Billet brake reservoirs
-PAIR system removed
-Motosliders
-Stator, clutch cover, rad guards, water pump cover, sprocket carrier, rear sprocket, and rearsets powder coated gloss black
-M4 shortened slip on
-Lightened rear rotor (ended up looking cool, but lost a lot of brake surface)
-Swingarm bobbins and sliders
-Motion Pro extended throttle cables
-Shortened clutch lever
-Relocated ignition switch - now between left side frame rails
-Pirelli Diablo tires
-I think I put a 47 tooth sprocket on this with gold x-ring chain.

Attachments

#29 ·
Why did you sell it? It came out sooo badass

#30 ·
Cause I am an idiot, I loved that bike. $700 in engine mods would bave made it my dream bike, other than lacking the dry clutch sound and desmo roar at WFO. Thanks for bumping the thread and reminding me, always appreciated :fu:

#34 ·
I did. If the Ducati turns out shitty I will probably rebuild the SV back to this spec

Since this got bumped what red is that on the wheels? It really sets the whole bike off and does a nice job of braking the black up which I need to do on my bike.
It's called Starlight Red and I got it from Powder By the Pound. Here is the link. The left side of the bottom picture is the closest to the actual color in person. Very trick color. I've been debating doing it again for the Ducati, but I don't want to be a one trick pony.

#33 ·
Since this got bumped what red is that on the wheels? It really sets the whole bike off and does a nice job of braking the black up which I need to do on my bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.