Voltage regulator rectifier retrofit on CB750 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Streetfighter Help Needed! Need help with your 'fighter? Ask for help in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Voltage regulator rectifier retrofit on CB750

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp
Fathead_03's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Flip Offs: 145
Flipped Off 35 Times in 30 Posts
Fathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant future
Default Voltage regulator rectifier retrofit on CB750

So, the setup on the cb looks like so...

It has the 3 yellows from the alt, the red which is the feed to the battery, or the charge wire, green is ground duh, and the regulator has a black, which is ignition power, and white, which I don't know what it does.

Now when I look at my cbr diagram...

its got the 3 yellows, the ground, and the feed or charge wire. Now is the black wire from the ignition, to apply power to the regulator? and the white wire from the regulator to the alt is the wire that reads and tells the alt when to make power? That's the field wire. So what do I do with the black wire, that goes TO the regulator, and what do I do with the wire that's the field wire?

Thanks.

And yes, this is the same thing I posted in my build thread, but I thought it would get more visits here.

Build Threads
2009 Winter Buildoff CBR Build Thread
After-Buildoff CBR Build Thread
CB750 Hardtail Bobber Build "Old's Cool"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvgasm View Post
someone died ban everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbwstripes View Post
I like carbon peaking through the paint. It's like side boob.
Fathead_03 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:29 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: Voltage regulator rectifier retrofit on CB750

what year CB is it. does yours have points? The pic you posted and your description of the CB reg is different.

Some reg/rec circuits will have a fused source from an acc spot on the ignition to power the circuit and a lead straight to the + side of the battery to charge it. When you charge the battery back through a fuse you actually are loosing a bit.

The only thing i would like to know is whats the output of the CB stator setup and whats the output of the CBR. its likely that the old cb with mechanical cam driven tach, mechanical speedo and points has a very low watt stator while the cbr might have one much larger.
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp
Fathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant futureFathead_03 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift1313 View Post
what year CB is it. does yours have points? The pic you posted and your description of the CB reg is different.

Some reg/rec circuits will have a fused source from an acc spot on the ignition to power the circuit and a lead straight to the + side of the battery to charge it. When you charge the battery back through a fuse you actually are loosing a bit.

The only thing i would like to know is whats the output of the CB stator setup and whats the output of the CBR. its likely that the old cb with mechanical cam driven tach, mechanical speedo and points has a very low watt stator while the cbr might have one much larger.
Its from a 75 Cb750. I don't know the output of both. I was just using the diagram from the cbr as a guide. I'm looking to retrofit my CB with a more modern RR combo. It did have a mechanical tach and speedo.

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

I dont think its going to gain you anything unless the newer unit has larger heat sinks on it. Everything I can find lists the cb750 as a 5 wire unit reg/rec. 3 yellows from the stator, 1 to the batt + and 1 to batt -(or chassis ground) is how it should be, just like the cbr. Is yours a separate reg and rec like the pic you posted? Do you have 5 wires from the stator?

The way its setup in that diagram you posted. the stator is outputting AC voltage to the Rectifier which is charging the battery. The Regulator is actually bleeding off (via white wire) to ground based on the voltage seen at the Ignition lug. I dont know this for sure but thats my best guess from looking at the pic(which is cool by the way). I would probably find a stator from a later model cb if it will bolt up. It will only have 3 wires coming out of it that would go right to the reg/rec. If not i would think you could just cap the white line since the alt setup will be putting out max power and the new reg/rec unit will take care of it.
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shift1313!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
BigBuddha76
Kilted Rider
Fighterer
BigBuddha76's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
BigBuddha76 is making some friendsBigBuddha76 is making some friendsBigBuddha76 is making some friendsBigBuddha76 is making some friendsBigBuddha76 is making some friends

the white wire is for the field coil...it powers up the coil so the alternator is charging...the CBR wont work as that is a perm. magnet stator. I would stick with the cb750 stuff as those parts are common and are stout. or if you find a rect/reg tfrom a model that has a field coil use that if you just HAVE to go with a different model

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken

Listen up kid, I'm only gonna tell you this once - Larry Weiss (RIP)
BigBuddha76 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived BigBuddha76!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
robsroadeater
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
robsroadeater's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 530
Flipped Off 1,209 Times in 628 Posts
robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Talking Re: Voltage regulator rectifier retrofit on CB750

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddha76 View Post
the white wire is for the field coil...it powers up the coil so the alternator is charging...the CBR wont work as that is a perm. magnet stator. I would stick with the cb750 stuff as those parts are common and are stout. or if you find a rect/reg tfrom a model that has a field coil use that if you just HAVE to go with a different model
Wise advice ...

...ALL FER ONE AND ONE FER ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

OUR FALLEN FIGHTERS
MadMadame
Greencheezeeta
Remi
PanzerRider
Punkvernie
robsroadeater is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
daytonatrbo
ingamaneer
CF Addict
daytonatrbo's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 26
Flipped Off 19 Times in 14 Posts
daytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to beholddaytonatrbo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuddha76 View Post
So im really digging up this thread here, but I thought I would share what I know on the topic anyway.

The white wire is in fact the field coil wire. The way the old regulator works is it adjust the power going to the field, which in turn adjusts the voltage come out of the alt.

**The following is pure speculation:**
I'm assuming that the field voltage varies between 0-12volts DC as it is coming from the battery (in effect). If you unhook the white wire and the black wire from the regulator and connect them to each other, you should get MAX output from the alternator at all times. This is effectively what the CBR RR is looking for, and it uses a clamping resistor to burn off any excess voltage. This is why the CBR RR has big heat sinks, it is basically turning excess power into heat.

Once you wire the black and white wires to each other, you install the CBR RR in place of the old rectifier.

While I am fairly certain I am correct in this, I cannot guarantee its validity

Project: Slower than death My F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
Everyone here is fuckin tops. Big band of mean old cut throat motherfuckers with teddy bear hearts
daytonatrbo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived daytonatrbo!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp

I found this on Hondachoppers.com and it looks like what I was looking for back then. No longer have the bike but figured it'd help someone out eventually.

Build Threads
Quote:
Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!