Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

98 gsxr 750 meets 08 gsxr 1000

143K views 340 replies 88 participants last post by  MikeGyver 
#1 ·
my current ride is a 98 gsxr 750 fully faired. it has some mild mods. yoshimura carbon fiber trs. K&N, timing retard eliminator. power commander. mild port and pollish. mild skim on the head. -1 tooth in the front + 2 in the rear. and some other minor things but basically just like every other bike around.

i had the bike for sale for a bit because i wanted to upgrade to a 1000cc bike and something newer. after being for sale for probably 6 months and me still riding it all i really got were people trying to trade me beat up dirt bikes, lawnmowers, and other junk, i found an 08 gsxr 1000 without a frame, fairings, and a few other things. so the hunt was on for an 07/08 frame. after a few months of over priced junk i decided to just build what i wanted. out came the tools and then there were parts all over the floor.

next up was getting back to a rolling chassis. the 98 750 and 08 1000 use the same head bearings and as that is the only contact point between the frame and forks i assumed it would slot right in. turns out i was right. cant use the steering lock, steering stops, or the steering damper as it mounts differently but im not too worried about any of that. the stops are going to be cut and rewelded in a better location. the steering lock is going to be left as is. and the steering damper is probably going to be replaced with a side mount unless i can find a way to mount the stock 08 damper.
and before anyone says anything. yes i know my shed is a disaster. and no my frame and forks are not bent. the rear is on a pretty tall stand with no motor in it so it makes the forks look like they are straight up and down

08 1000cc motor waiting to go in

level one racing exhaust with titanium header

plans as of now are to cut the upper rear motor mounts off the frame and replace them with a bolt on steel mount, cut the front mounts down and use bolt on transition plates. got a set of levers for 40 bucks from a friend(pazzo, avs, or crg, cant remember) shorty black on blacks. got an 02 gsxr 1000 rear wheel as the 08 will not work with the srad swing arm. still deciding between the stock srad rear shock. the 08 1000 rear shock, and an 03 750 rear shock. the ride height would be lower with the 03 and then lower again with the 08 but i can swap the top mount to make up for that and shim if need be. still need to find some tires, sprockets, and a chain. fab up some pair block off plates, remove the set valve and patch the hole left. any input would be much apretiated. not really sure when ill be able to work on her next. full time job, daughter, no money, and lots of snow in an un heated tin shed with no doors.

See less See more
#2 ·
SOunds like a great project! Keep us posted.

Cant you swap in the 08 swinger as well?

#3 ·
i had thought about that but not without a good amount of cutting and modifying. the 01/02 and 03/04 swinger fit the srad but the 07/08 wont fit in the 01/02 or the 03/04. plus id rather keep the srad swinger in there. its an inch or 2 shorter i believe. still havnt decided on the bars yet. im probably going to keep my clipons for a while as i like that riding position and have a few sets that will fit the fork tubes. and i have a single headlamp im probably going to use for now. not sure on the tail either. im probably going to keep it a 2 seater as the lady likes to go for rides with me. i have an idea for a naked subframe but im not sure. that would let me unbolt the passenger seat section for just a solo seater. too many choices. i also have this pesky t3/t4 turbo sitting around, never been used. just need a bov and wg. possibly an intercooler too. not sure about oil lines yet either. hm. i also have a friend who said he would make me a set of upper and lower clamps to space the forks for a 180 or 190 front tire. but that would probably be just silly. still need to find someone to weld the bottom of the 08 tank to my tank so i can use the 08 fuel pump.

#6 ·
i am really excited about this build. git er did.

and dont let side show bob hear you say it is silly. thems fightin words.

Reactions: ROBBO
#8 ·
small update started getting the motor slotted in today. still have to figure out why the airbox wont even come close to fitting. but ill get to that tomorrow or something. anyways, heres a pic

#11 ·
so i figured out why the motor wouldnt swing up high enough haha. i still havnt cut the top rear motor mount off yet. its hitting the motor...oops. next order of business is to remove those mounts, cut and mount airbox, make templates for new motor mounts, weld them up, clean everything up, mount the motor (that sounds dirty), wire it, and all the other things i have to do ha. i also got my rear wheel today (02 1000) i have the wheel, rotor, cush, and carrier, but not the 2 outer spacers or the spacer between the carrier and center. the 08 spacers seem to fit perfect. ill have to see how it works.

any suggestions on anything is welcome.

#16 ·
small update. cut the upper rear motor mounts off the frame, motor swings up into place now. cut the airbox the way i need and now im ready to make my motor mounts. also got my 02 rear wheel on. wouldnt fit with the spacers i had so i made some (now that i have almost the right tools to do this swap.) wheel fits great. i think ill see how thy 08 rear wheel fits with the spacers i made. i think id rather use that one anyways. next update should have the motor in with the new mounts :)

chain alignment is spot on.

#19 ·
another minor update. got out into the shed again tonight. made up templates for the upper rear motor mount, both side mounts. and a mount to retain the stock electronically controlled stearing damper. thought i was going insane when making the front mounts though. the srad mounts on the frame arnt the same on both sides. it threw me off a bit haha.
also traced the entire wiring harness and only have a few connectors that i cant find homes for. found a set of sprockets and a chain. still need to get at least a rear tire. found a 6 or 7 inch headlight bucket in my daughters room. i think that will end up on her. still trying to decide what to do about the gauge cluster. im thinking will make a mount to locate it right on the back of the headlight and hide it behind a small wind screen.
also still contemplating what to do with the tail. money is a bit tight right now so who knows. im still thinking abut a bare subframe. but i think it will make it look cheap and un finished instead of raw and industrial.... if that makes any sense

#20 ·
small update. going to make my motor mounts today. also fabbed up some spacers and it now has the 08 rear wheel on it. also, turns out my rear caliper is sticking or hanging up. hm.

Reactions: medimicated420
#21 ·
worked on her the past 2 nights in my tin tool shed with no doors until i was frozen solid and bleeding haha. i shit you not the drink i took out with me tonight froze by the time i was done working.

but the motor is in. just need to drill the holes in the frame to bolt the upper rear mount to it. transition plates are already in. upper rear mount is on the motor. full exhaust is on. oil cooler is on. radiator is on. looks like all i have to do is put oil in her and a battery. hook up the airbox and the 08 fuel tank and see if she starts. there is still 2 or 3 connectors without homes yet. i should probably figure those out.

#25 ·
I guess suzuki claimed 185 hp at the crank for the 07/08 1000 and about 134 at the crank for the 98/99 750. so thats a bit of an upgrade. the 750 was a bit tired i guess. and i definitely abused the thing. the new motor is in amazing shape from what i can tell and have been told. i really cant wait to hear it run. i suppose ill make a to do list
tighten lower rear motor mount bolt.
drill and bolt upper rear motor mount
finish running and mounting wiring harness. (and hiding)
fab mounts for radiator and bolt it to oil cooler bracket.
cut up the front mud gaurd, paint it, and mount it.
install braided front brake lines.(not sure if the will work as they arnt meant for radials)
install chain( need a clip master link for a DID 520 chain... anyone got one?)
install hydrolic clutch line and countershaft sprocket cover
bleed clutch and brake lines
install rear shock... still have to decide wich one to use 98 750, 03ish 750, or 08 1000. the 98 is the longest. then the 03ish is a smidge shorter and the 08 is a smidge shorter than that. maybe ill just use the 08 and find a way to raise it and maybe lower the front end a few mms
find out why my turn signals dont work.
make wiring harness for headlights (might be using a dual headlight with high and low in each light.)
finish bracket for steering damper
oil
coolant
maybe new plugs
finish cutting and plasti welding the airbox to fit and function as stock
find out what the last 2 or 3 connectors go to
fab up some steering stops(drill 2 holes in the lower tripple and put a bolt in it)
figure out whwat to do with the tail and seating
find tires
get some good pictures of it haha
rebuild rear caliper
might need a new chain guide as mine is chewed to shit from running a -2 front sprocket on her before
put my renthal grips and maybe quick action throttle on
cut the stock bar ends up to use to mount my bar end mirrors
cut the bottom out of the 08 tank and weld it to the 98 tank. or maybe mod the fuck out of the 08 tank to fit.
see if i can get the 08 trunk latch lock to work with the 98 trunk (so i only need to cary one key)
same for the fuel filler latch (maybe keyless)
paint the tank.... maybe
gaze lovingly at the t3/t4 turbo setup sitting on my shelf... maybe soon
and hope that the bike actually runs.. fingers crossed
anything im forgetting?

Reactions: n0regret5
#26 ·
Well got bored so I made this.

Plug on the left plugs into the srad fuel pump. Plug on the right plugs into the 08 harness. Now I can use the srad pump until I weld the 08 tank bottom to the srad tank without cutting any wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.