'79 XR500 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > '79 XR500

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
RatFighter
ATGATT

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:31 AM
Flip Offs: 184
Flipped Off 101 Times in 40 Posts
RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default '79 XR500

This bike began life as most do, intended for a purpose. Over the years who knows who, or what, happened to this thing. It was fairly abused in a previous life and somebody took it in and loved it for some time, thus the decent condition I got it in. At present day I managed to acquire it by means of parting with the ownership of a rare F model Honda, long after it was repaired and nearly completed as a road legal trail bike. Yep, road legal dirtbike. 100% hooligan.

As it began, 2 hours after said trade.

The itch to change things erupted into a fit of bolts being unscrewed and panels being removed to "see what I really got". As fitting as it is, not everything was as described and some things were downright idiotic to say the least. Not alot of the hardware can be removed with the same wrench. One side of the fender is a 13mm, the other a 3/8". Who cares really, that's all fixed now.

I pondered on a few ideas, tossed around the idea of building a SM, but quickly threw that idea out the window along with the idea of this bike being a touring mount. I would expect a daily commuter out of it, but that at least won't sacrifice the ability to ride up tall flights of stairs, drop off loading docks, or jump a curb and destroy a golf course either.

Focus began to emerge from the chaos that is my thought process when I first get a new bike. I thought to myself, "Ya know what would be fucking awesome?! A CR450F MX'er on the street with 50/50 dual sport tires and trail bike lights!!". And so a plan was hatched to update the 500 with every part I possibly could get my hands on.

And so it begins...

-RatFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cups View Post
that new swingarm & shock might look the business in the shed but it might handle like a pissed pig on rollerskates out on the road
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
SabreV45
Mad Sconnie

CF Pimp
SabreV45's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 240
Flipped Off 84 Times in 31 Posts
SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!SabreV45 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: '79 XR500

Can't wait to see what you do with it, I'm sure you'll make a badass SM out of it. I was really suprised how great of condition it is in when I first saw it. Usually dirtbikes of that age are beat to shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter
By the riders and for the riders, streetfighters we are and united we will stand.
"The Lone Sabre" Build - 84 Sabre (Sold)
"Bastard Child Hybrid" Build - XS / FZR
"The Maggot" - 82 CX500
SabreV45 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SabreV45!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
RatFighter
ATGATT

RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

A little update on the XR500.

The forks have been returned to factory ride height, big difference, the bike feels like a dual sport again. The tank mounting is pretty much done, just gotta secure everything and it shouldn't move anywhere at all. Everything else is pretty much on hold at the moment pending the carb slide sticking issue getting sorted.

Edit-
*Carb fixed, had a high spot in the casting dragging on the slide... wtf.*

Quote:
that new swingarm & shock might look the business in the shed but it might handle like a pissed pig on rollerskates out on the road
These people High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
black93lx
Fighterer
black93lx's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:31 AM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
black93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friends

badass bike man. you running that light that on it now? can't wait to see where you take this one
black93lx is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived black93lx!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
SquidVicious
theman themyth thelegend
SquidVicious's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 154
Flipped Off 97 Times in 58 Posts
SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!SquidVicious is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

badass project

That hooligan is a beast.
SquidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SquidVicious!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
JiggyFly
mini moto monkey
CF Addict
JiggyFly's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 26
Flipped Off 57 Times in 43 Posts
JiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to allJiggyFly is a name known to all

What's going on with this beast???

chibity-china, the CK chicken.
JiggyFly is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived JiggyFly!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
RatFighter
ATGATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggyFly View Post
What's going on with this beast???

I never did give an explanation did I...

Ok it started off waaaaay back when I started dirt riding, a friend of mine asks me how much I know about motorcycles. (Ha! I grew up in a household that, like clockwork, every winter season had a Triumph Bonneville or Tiger stripped to bare cases in the kitchen.) So I asked what he needed help with and he said he had a Yamaha DT250 Enduro. I had lusted after a '73 pretty much most of my childhood, so I undertook the task of getting the bike road worthy again for him. We had been friends for almost all our life's, so he dropped the bike off one rainy afternoon.

I got the bike running and tooled around the yard a little bit, not quiet old enough to have a drivers license or a class M endorsement I tried to stay off the road, but as soon as that bike sang to life and I had ripped a HUGE trench across the front yard, the driveway, and continued into the neighbors yard making said trench, I was convinced this thing needed to be opened up BIG TIME. Gotta clear her out so to speak!

I grabbed my old MX lid from my BMX days, tossed on a second pair of blue jeans as well as some leather riding gauntlets, topped off the tank and oil reserve and stole the plate off my old mans BMW R100RT.

After that day spent tearing through the gearbox, bean oil clouds rolling over open fields and dissipating against the bluffs I found myself at a cross roads, not only on the road but in my very soul. I was finally happy. I had finally found my passion. Riding motorcycles on the street, avoiding all the crazy things that are just around the corner to kill you. Flat out runs are the dreams of fools on the street, nobody is that good. I checked the fuel and decided to head back, I had spent the better part of 4 hours on my first street ride on a real motorcycle by myself. I was so stoked you could hear the giggling in my helmet if you were 3 miles away!

After I got home I began the hunt for a bike. One such machine was '76 CB360T (the first one) for a few hundred bucks. It sure wasn't what I wanted, but I knew it would do the job. What I really wanted was a BIG BAD dual sport with all the torque a rider could ask for. I wanted a tractor of a bike! I wanted to ride anywhere and break anything on the bike and still get home by dinner time.

When my Bandit 1200 purchase occurred I was offered a rare opportunity at the time, a 2 year old (a 2004 model) Yamaha WR426F. I had a rock solid $4k to spend and the wild thoughts of a SuperMoto clouded my judgment and then the price dragged me in a little further, but, it needed a thermostat, nobody was aware it was only that, and I passed on the deal thinking it was a head gasket.

The owner, happened to be my buddy with the Enduro 250's older brother! Said he would sell it to me title in hand (yes, a street title!) for $1100. To this day I am sure I would have hurt myself on such a machine. Compared to my XR500, there is no comparison, they are two completely different bikes. But it planted another seed that would grow into this desire.

The whole point: (if you don't feel like reading the history)

SuperMoto/SuperBikers

18" aluminum hoop on a stocker front hub, swappable with the current 21". for the SuperBikers setup, much like a flat tracker, a little more asphalt abuse friendly.

Tires will be 110/18 or 90/21 front, rear will be a 4.50x18 regardless.

At the moment I'm working on a bolt on single shock aluminum swinger with long travel road forks and 16's for kart track antics and stupid city riding. The whole dynamic of the bike will change when running this setup but limited finances are forcing the R&D as I can't afford 2 dual sports and a street bike, so, one has to do two things.

Tire size will be 140 rear 110 front.

I wanted a bike with no top end punch, but, GOBS of bottom end grunt. I am so hell bent on a big torque bike I traded off my CB1100F rarity for a bargain bin dual sport. Now I'm proceeding to turn the XR500 into a tracker/SM/dual sport of sorts for all kinds of riding styles. That fateful day in 2002 on that street smoker brought out a part of me I hadn't seen in years. This is really me.

I've been working on the XR alot lately and should have a nice healthy update coming up shortly.

-Rat

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
RnR
Noobie
RnR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
RnR is a NOOB

Dude thats a great story!!! You should write a book
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RnR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
black93lx
Fighterer
black93lx's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
black93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friendsblack93lx is making some friends

can't wait to see this. love the back story. if you want to part with that headlight let me know. Looking for something like that for the ts i got
black93lx is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived black93lx!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
RatFighter
ATGATT

Onto the lighting... or lack there of...

So I was told by the PO all that was needed was plugging a few things in and it was ready to rock. I was skeptical and at this point I am starting to feel like dude got the hot end of the deal. He is up $1200 and I have to wire up the brake light to a non existent harness to be able to ride this beast. I'm starting to feel like building this fucker into a stunt bike is more spot on than ever. 12 bar and all. Yes, I can use one too, just haven't had much practice lately, hopefully I can turn that around and get back to the unicycle antics soon!

I pulled the gas tank and seat for the hundredth time and found 2 wires, not 3, going to the rear fender... pulled the headlight, what do we have there? Brake light switch wires just hanging there. Ok, I see how this is going to go, it's going to be a pain in my ass to the very end.

I'm getting more and more inclined to buy a really nice bike and just keep the projects as just that, projects. Trying every year to scrounge up enough workable parts to build a bike for the season is getting idiotic to say the least. There comes a time in every ratbike enthusiasts life that they wish they could just thumb the starter and head out for a ride. I'm at that point right now.

It looks like once I get the tail light working, swap to a 6.5" round headlight, and sort the carb gasket that seems to not exist on any dealer shelf, I will FINALLY be able to see if this beast needs anything else to be a daily rider. The simplest tasks, never seem to be so simple when you get into them and start working them out.

Well, back to the garage,

-Rat

Quote:
This user High Fived RatFighter!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes