89 Ninja/GPX 600 Carb Help Needed - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Streetfighter Help Needed! Need help with your 'fighter? Ask for help in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 89 Ninja/GPX 600 Carb Help Needed

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
gary20082008
Fighter
gary20082008's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:00 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
gary20082008 is a good noobiegary20082008 is a good noobie
Default 89 Ninja/GPX 600 Carb Help Needed

I just cleaned my carbs and put them back together using the same screw settings. It doesn't run without some assitance from starter fluid and wont stay running. I banged on the carbs to get the floats moving but that didn't help cure the problem. I have put on new fluid lines and they are clear so I know they are not plugged. I was wondering if anyone has recorded their needle settings so I came compare them to mine.

Hey, at least you have the making of a bike. Right?

1989 Ninja 600 (C2) aka Money pit aka Carb hell
2004 GXSR 600
gary20082008 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
RatFighter
ATGATT

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:00 AM
Flip Offs: 185
Flipped Off 101 Times in 40 Posts
RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: 89 Ninja/GPX 600 Carb Help Needed

If I remember correctly my brothers GPz600R (ZX600"A" Ninja with a "C" model head on it) was running them at the second position from the bottom. He had a dynojet stage 3 kit though (different needles, mains, and pilots than factory) and pod filters on his carbs with a 4-1 V&H pipe.

It sounds like your pilot circuit is the issue if it won't stay running, have you tried playing with the mix screw settings a little to try to solve the issue? Do you have a fuel filter inline between the tank and carbs? Gotta ask even if it sounds like a stupid question.

If you can get it started can you get it to run holding the throttle open and maintaining a higher rpm, or is it dieing out regardless?

Does it run with the choke on or off?

I know it's alot of questions to answer, but it will help get things sorted 100%.

Quote:
Money can buy almost anything in the motorcycle industry, but it can't buy two things, skill, and experience. Those two things are earned the hard way through trial, error, and passionate dedication.
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
gary20082008
Fighter

I do have a fuel filter between the tank and carbs. It a new one. The old one look rough. I have played with the screw adjusterment a lot. I am assuming you mean the black screw knob on the left side of the carb setup. I don't know which way is open and close though. I just kept adjusting.

2004 GXSR 600
gary20082008 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
RatFighter
ATGATT

RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RatFighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Ah, the black knob is the idle adjustment. Turned clockwise is higher idle, counter is lower. The mixture screws shouldn't be too hard to locate.

These are the mixture screws locations (carb pic for reference) not to be confused with the float bowl drain screws:

The bottom picture shows the tubes (part of the carb bodies) that the mixture screws are recessed into:

Are you running the factory airbox and filter or are they individual filters on the carbs themselves?

And, did you clean these out? Like, remove them, make sure they are clear of debris, and all the little holes are totally free of any gunk and stuff? (Not sure how much you do or don't know so here is a good example picture. Did you remove these from each carburetor and clean them?)

If your running all factory parts, it could be a small amount of crap in the pilot jets that is causing the problem. I'm trying to be as basic as possible and not overwhelm you with things to check/do. Just a step at a time.

-Rat

Quote:
Money can buy almost anything in the motorcycle industry, but it can't buy two things, skill, and experience. Those two things are earned the hard way through trial, error, and passionate dedication.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
gary20082008
Fighter

I really appreciate the info Rat.

I am running completely stock. I took the carbs apart and soaked the pins and bowls, then blew them out after a good soak. I also ran a thin wire through the holes to make everything was clear and light passed through them. They had about two years worth of crud in them.

I am also using a brand new stock air filter. I have a new hose filter from tank to carbs. New lines too.

The bike starts with help from carb cleaner and starter fluid but dies soon after.

I also have seen some gas leak from the front left exhaust pipe where is meet the engine. I think this means too much fuel? Gonna try and test the compresion this weekend. I am really just guessing now.

2004 GXSR 600
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
RatFighter
ATGATT

Since everything is stock and your getting raw fuel, have you changed the spark plugs, or are they new?

Its starting to seem like the pilot jets are clogged. After having the carbs out already it may seem like a pain in the ass to go back through and check again, but it may solve your issue.

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
gary20082008
Fighter

The plugs are brand new. I know I cleaned the pilot jets pretty good, but I guess the best thing to do now is pull it again and start again.

2004 GXSR 600
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
RatFighter
ATGATT

Bump!

Any luck getting it running?

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
gary20082008
Fighter

Nah, I have been tied up keeping my nephews dirt bikes running. I planned to take the carbs off and start again this weekend, but instead I bought another project street bike that I hope to have running quickly. It kills me not being on the road already.

2004 GXSR 600
This user High Fived gary20082008!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
OrangeDUB
I keeps it old skoo

Fighterer
OrangeDUB's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
OrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of lightOrangeDUB is a glorious beacon of light

I dealt with this a little with my suzuki after I rebuilt my carbs. (I am also a boxy ZX600 owner, what up?!) I realized I wasn't getting fuel because when I choked a carb with my hand or sprayed carb cleaner, it would give me a glimpse of an idle for a second and then die. I discovered that my main fuel line was air-locked, preventing fuel flow. The petcock wasn't able to work properly until the air was burped out. While cranking the motor with everything connected except the main fuel supply line, it purged all the air out of the system, then re-connected it and it roared to life.

Fuel supply is your problem if you can spray and that's the only way to get it to fire up. Your idle adjustment should be just slightly opening the throttle plates. Once you get it to idle then it should be set at 1400rpms.

Also, make sure the tank is full of good fresh gas. You said 2 years of gunk? After it's running, throw some seafoam in that biotch and let it puke out the crud

-Casey
OrangeDUB is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived OrangeDUB!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Help Needed!