Twin Dominator H4 headlights, dual relays - Questions... - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Electrical and Lights Anything related to the fabrication of lights and other electrical components goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Twin Dominator H4 headlights, dual relays - Questions...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Pug
Pic addict
CF Addict
Pug's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 18 Times in 14 Posts
Pug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond repute
Question Twin Dominator H4 headlights, dual relays - Questions...

So, I bought myself a set of Dominators for my K3 Bandit 600, to replace the single headlight and because I'd like it to be a lighting upgrade, as well as a cosmetic one, I'm looking at rewiring it with relays.

Most of the diagrams I see show one relay for both low beams and a second for both high beams... why not one 5pin relay per light?
Surely I can use 87a as a source for low beam power and 87 for high, can't I?

Does the Bandit already use a relay for the headlight and if so, would that affect anything?
It's a Euro model, so the lights are on with the ignition.
As far as I know, the main beam switch alternates the supply between the filaments, whereas the Pass button activates both somehow - is this the deciding factor between choosing a 4pin relay per selection as opposed to a 5pin per light? (If need be, I'd just rig that to activate the main beam alone, I guess.)

Where does everyone take their permanent power feed for the relays from? All the way to the battery direct or is there an alternative solution?

Any other concerns to take into account, based on the bike in question?
Oh, just something I noticed the other day - my hazards make my taillight dim as they flash... am I going to be okay with the extra drain of another headlight bulb?
I do have a multimeter here, if that helps...

Cheers in advance for any insight.
I'm sure the answers to the above will lead to further questions and I'll probably draw up & post a wiring diagram to sanity check before going ahead with it.
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Christ
Winter's comin... :(
CF Pimp
Christ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:17 AM
Flip Offs: 179
Flipped Off 94 Times in 61 Posts
Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Christ is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Twin Dominator H4 headlights, dual relays - Questions...

The taillight dims because its probably on the same ground or power circuit.

Replace the bulbs with led bulbs, and it won't overwork the wiring anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlacken via Facebook
"Aesop's Fables" teaches morality without eternal damnation and contradictions, or a petty, yet all-powerful creator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFighter View Post
Can't rush greatness. But you can crash it shortly after finishing it.

I'd like to think that people might open their eyes at some point... instead, I find it more and more likely that I'll just close mine.
-- Christopher Eugene Pettitt
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Pug
Pic addict
CF Addict
Pug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
I'll probably look at fitting LED indicators to start with, as I've a feeling the Dom shells might foul the OEM front indicators anyway.
I'm aiming to tidy up the tail at some point anyway, so I'll look at LED tail light options then (unless my hand is forced by the headlamp mod).
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Pug
Pic addict
CF Addict

*Bump*

Anyone help me out with the relay q's here?
Was hoping to go buy them & DW today...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Spazpunk
Cpt. Obvious
CF Addict
Spazpunk's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 59
Flipped Off 30 Times in 10 Posts
Spazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud ofSpazpunk has much to be proud of

I would help you if I could just for having Vivian from The Young Ones in you avatar.

96 bandit build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecepticonDon View Post
yeah, something that can go 150 mph, but has to be held up with a stick while stationary......is bound to fall over
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
Spazpunk is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Spazpunk!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Kaos
SHOWUSYATITS

Kaos's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:47 AM
Flip Offs: 71
Flipped Off 59 Times in 47 Posts
Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Hey bud have you looked in here:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=48236

If I were you I would either use 2 DPST relays or 2 SPDT relays. I would probably use the SPDT setup as if a relay fails then at least you have one light left with complete low/hi function.

As for the pass switch, that is something I have yet to investigate and wire into a relay function. If I get time I'll look into it but I'm pretty busy of late... I would *think* that somewhere in the original wiring of it there would be a diode somewhere to prevent the back feeding of voltage through the high beam wire. Also, it's feasible that you would require a relay to run it. You could use a Normally Closed relay on the High circuit or a Normally Open relay on the Low circuit.
I think the best way would be to invetigate how your pass switch works now and get back to us.
Looking at my ex250 healight diagram there isn't even a mention of the pass switch....hopefully yours does...

Re there being enough juice to run an extra light, you need to test it. Rig them up, start your bike and turn them on and get your multimeter on the battery. If she's still putting out at least 13 volts to the battery, you'll be fine. My 250 could run 3 x 50w bulbs just fine so I assume your 600 would be ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybuilt
...i have siad it before do what you realy want and do it today above all have your share of fun causc you will damn shure have your share of the other.
CUSTOM FIGHTERS FOR LIFE!
Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Kaos!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Kaos
SHOWUSYATITS

Kaos's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:47 AM
Flip Offs: 71
Flipped Off 59 Times in 47 Posts
Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Kaos is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

On further thought, if you wish to retain the "Pass" function, I would use two DPST relays: One for Low. One for High.
If you are just using your original switchgear and not modifying the wiring, and you wire the relays up so that the stock Low/High feeds are the trigger inputs, then the "Pass" function will be retained without the need for another relay.

The way to wire the relays would be to use two DPST relays in the format of the second diagram in the link I posted except terminal 85 on the second relay would got to the stock High feed and terminals 87 would go to the new High beam inputs on the Dominators.

Hope that helps bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybuilt
...i have siad it before do what you realy want and do it today above all have your share of fun causc you will damn shure have your share of the other.
CUSTOM FIGHTERS FOR LIFE!
Kaos is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Kaos!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Pug
Pic addict
CF Addict

Thanks man. I'm sure I started reading that post at some point but think it must have got lost in the sea of tabs I had open when I was trying to find the info I needed.

I think you're right that the 'one for low, one for high' approach will be best, simply because of the Pass function. Shame, as I thought the redundancy feature of 'one per light' was a nice touch.

Cheers for the input. Made all the difference.
I'll try and update with pics as I do it.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Pug
Pic addict
CF Addict

Right, update time... pics will be incoming when I find the camera lead.
In the meantime, I have a problem.

Everything worked fine for about a week, then today, I upgraded my bulbs to Osram Night Racers with LED sidelights. These worked fine at first, then when I went out on the bike earlier, I stopped somewhere and when I came back, the headlights were on (tail & sidelights were off and go on & off with the ignition as before).

It seems to be as if one of the relays is stuck open. Is this a common fault?
I've had to disconnect the battery for now but would appreciate any pointers.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
robsroadeater
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
robsroadeater's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 532
Flipped Off 1,212 Times in 630 Posts
robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!robsroadeater is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
Right, update time... pics will be incoming when I find the camera lead.
In the meantime, I have a problem.

Everything worked fine for about a week, then today, I upgraded my bulbs to Osram Night Racers with LED sidelights. These worked fine at first, then when I went out on the bike earlier, I stopped somewhere and when I came back, the headlights were on (tail & sidelights were off and go on & off with the ignition as before).

It seems to be as if one of the relays is stuck open. Is this a common fault?
I've had to disconnect the battery for now but would appreciate any pointers.

Thats weard as fook!

...ALL FER ONE AND ONE FER ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

OUR FALLEN FIGHTERS
MadMadame
Greencheezeeta
Remi
PanzerRider
Punkvernie
robsroadeater is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights