DIY Engraving - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

DIY A how to section for the members, by the members!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > DIY Engraving

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
livewire
What??
Fighterer
livewire's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
livewire is really nicelivewire is really nicelivewire is really nicelivewire is really nicelivewire is really nicelivewire is really nicelivewire is really nice
Default Re: DIY Engraving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant View Post
Here's the front:

jaw dropping, just great!
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived livewire!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
sebwiers
experiMental

CF Addict
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Flip Offs: 15
Flipped Off 25 Times in 12 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwKwArD View Post
That tank is retarded. How cold you be that good at something like engraving? Totally jealous!
Looks to me like it was modeled (in clay) on top of a normal tank, then a mold was pulled, cast in wax, and the wax cast (lost wax) in aluminum or pewter. There's no possible way to produce that much relief with engraving, and using repuse (basically miniature body working tools) would be enormously challenging and risky (the metal could "tear" before you got the desired relief).

If I'm right, it's basically a gigantic cowboy belt buckle - exact same crafting techniques. It also means the guy has - or had - a mold and could make duplicates (as with almost any cast metal sculpture).
(When they say "they broke the mold", that's exactly what they mean; the mold pulled from the original sculpt and used to cast wax blanks was destroyed. The original sculpt is usually damaged in making the molds, so once that mold is gone, you can never make an exact duplicate again.)

Still some damn fine artistry (I plain suck at figurative work) but it is a MUCH less difficult working method. In theory I could make something like that (have used the techniques for other projects) but I doubt the results would be as pretty, so knowing how it was done doesn't decrease my admiration any.
sebwiers is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived sebwiers!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
sebwiers
experiMental

CF Addict
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Flip Offs: 15
Flipped Off 25 Times in 12 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Here's some more work that looks similar, but I'd bet this actually IS repuse. Note that the relief is much lower, and there are no hard edges (as seen on the edges of the scrolls in the first case; you can do valleys and creases just fine in repuse).

2014 Winter Build Off - SECApocalypse| build | discussion
| rules
skully keychains - $1 each plus flat rate shipping
sebwiers is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Poopie
GOOROO of da POO POO

CF Pimp
Poopie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:50 PM
Flip Offs: 132
Flipped Off 91 Times in 61 Posts
Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Poopie is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

^^^
That is all hand engraved chase and chisel/pneumatic chase and not Repoussé....

One of my favorites bikes though...

“When the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box”

EL RoY Build

EL RoY Discussion

Chickamauga Warhorse Build

Chickamauga Warhorse (discussion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDogg007
If I fuck this up bear with me. I am on some serious pain meds for kidney stones and flying like a mofo here.
Poopie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY