3D Mockup - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Streetfighter Tools Discussion about the tools you use to build and modify your streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 3D Mockup

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
snakeye
Fighter In Training
snakeye's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 1 Post
snakeye is a NOOB
Default 3D Mockup

Hey Guys,

I see some of you guys making mock up or models
in a 3d drawing program. Do you buy the standard
motorcycles in the program's format and then edit it?
or do you guys really measure all the parts and angles
and then draw it in the specific program?

Death or Glory

FZS600 1998 Build
100/100 %
30/100 %
snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
D67506
Fighter In Training
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
D67506 is a good noobieD67506 is a good noobie
Default Re: 3D Mockup

I plan to just measure everything and draw it up in Solidedge.
D67506 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
fu_jac
Pueling Pueman
CF Addict
fu_jac's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 122
Flipped Off 55 Times in 27 Posts
fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fu_jac is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

im busy CADing a subframe....using a vernier gauge and a ruler....
fu_jac is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
suzukinovice
Noobie
Local Time: 05:09 AM
suzukinovice is a NOOB

Yup, unless you work for the manufacturer's engineering department CAD files are hard to come by. Eng docs like that are proprietary so they aren't typically released to the public. That's not to say that you can't measure and make your own models - that's what I'm doing!

Each CAD package has its own native format that is best to use. There are a few standard formats (.IGES, .STEP, .STL, etc) but they are more difficult to modify well than a native format.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who has already modeled it up

"Keep fighting till the end and past the end you will be strong"
suzukinovice is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
shift1313
GURU

shift1313's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

i reverse engineer everything I need. When i was designing tail sections for my bike i modeled the chassis(frame, suspension, wheels) and the tank to help me along.

I upload a lot of stuff to www.GrabCAD.com and so do lots of other users. There are several motorcycle guys on there and ive seen a few different engines and chassis components.
shift1313 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shift1313!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Asse81
D
Fighter
Asse81's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:09 PM
Asse81 is a good noobieAsse81 is a good noobie

Shift1313: Thanks for sharing the link! Nice!

Have you ever tried contacting some of the companies regarding CAD files? I find, that as long as you ask for .STEP files, people are less hesitant about giving them away.
(Allthough, my experience mostly accounts for pumps, vaccum systems and other Industrial items)

By the way, I have been looking for a Suzuki TL1000 engine. If somebody comes across one, I will greatly appreciate a link.

My GSXR 1100 build: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=50651 Check it out and leave a comment
Asse81 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Moto-Madness
I own the corners

CF Pimp
Moto-Madness's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
Moto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud ofMoto-Madness has much to be proud of

reverse engine it all so far
Moto-Madness is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
zzzeke
GURU
CF Lover
zzzeke's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
zzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of lightzzzeke is a glorious beacon of light

Whats everyones program of choice here? I used to be into 3D CAD / CAM a while back and want to get back into it but am now a bit out of touch. I don't necessary need the most user friendly one out there but something you guys all use and i could pester for tips and trick would be great.
zzzeke is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
shift1313
GURU

shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!shift1313 is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asse81 View Post
Shift1313: Thanks for sharing the link! Nice!

Have you ever tried contacting some of the companies regarding CAD files? I find, that as long as you ask for .STEP files, people are less hesitant about giving them away.
(Allthough, my experience mostly accounts for pumps, vaccum systems and other Industrial items)

By the way, I have been looking for a Suzuki TL1000 engine. If somebody comes across one, I will greatly appreciate a link.
I do work for manufacturers and on occasion they have given me files(they are paying me to do the work), but other times they won't release them. There are tons of legal steps to go through and as a private party you will never get any. You can send parts off and pay companies to reverse engineer them for you. I don't typically need an entire part, only sections of it, so i end up laser scanning and reverse engineering just what I need. For some stuff i can do it pretty quick(under an hour).

This is assuming you are talking about cars or motorcycles. Now stuff like electric motors, fittings etc can be had usually. Each mfg will have CAD files on their website or listed through other sites. For instance i use 3m stuff all the time and their site is great for connectors. mcmaster.com has tons of hardware and fittings, motors etc.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
shift1313
GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzeke View Post
Whats everyones program of choice here? I used to be into 3D CAD / CAM a while back and want to get back into it but am now a bit out of touch. I don't necessary need the most user friendly one out there but something you guys all use and i could pester for tips and trick would be great.
I am solidworks all the way. I have used several different ones.

For CAM work right now i have solidcam but im making the switch back to masterCAM for solidworks.

I use Rapidform for mesh manipulation

solidworks for simulation, animation and rendering. Possibly keyshot soon for rendering.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools