1978 XS400 CAFE Build - Page 21 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers Everything about cafe fighters and cafe racers goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 1978 XS400 CAFE Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #201
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict
Garlic_Sauce's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:31 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to behold
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: 1978 XS400 CAFE Build

Good good, ya I like that speedo. Unfortunately though I think I need to do the clutch, it grabs late regardless of adjustment and 5th and 6th pops out occasionally. I'm going to try a different oil weight recommended by xs400.com first, then after I drain the oil I have in now I will measure the plates and check out the springs.

"Oh my god look at this, it's a machine! You know, your like looking into the mechanism of the universe..."
-Indian Larry-

Current build, check it out.
xs650 Brat Tracker:http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=57958

78 XS400 CAFE build (SOLD): http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=53414

Garlic_Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Garlic_Sauce!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #202
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict
Sinister Imaging's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

this is a drawing of the mufflers i sent you their a "glass pack" style, but no packing. You can drill out the center plate for more sound and flow. Hope it makes sence.

Sinister Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Sinister Imaging!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #203
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict
Sinister Imaging's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic_Sauce View Post
Good good, ya I like that speedo. Unfortunately though I think I need to do the clutch, it grabs late regardless of adjustment and 5th and 6th pops out occasionally. I'm going to try a different oil weight recommended by xs400.com first, then after I drain the oil I have in now I will measure the plates and check out the springs.
popping out of gears sounds like a worn out shift fork.

Sinister Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #204
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict
Garlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to behold

Not really popping out, more like it never get's into gear. Pull in clutch, shift, release clutch/throttle up and it revs like it's in neutral. Every once in a while, like when your clutch cable isn't adjusted properly

"Oh my god look at this, it's a machine! You know, your like looking into the mechanism of the universe..."
-Indian Larry-

78 XS400 CAFE build (SOLD): http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=53414

Garlic_Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #205
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

I bet it's just the springs, someone would have really had to TRY to fuck up the clutch on this bike within 17,xxx miles.

-Indian Larry-

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #206
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!

Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:31 PM
Flip Offs: 157
Flipped Off 68 Times in 59 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

so is the cable adjusted properly?

2015 Build-off project: ex500 shifter kart (don't post in this one)
2015 Build-off discussion: ex500 shifter kart
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #207
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

Yeah, per manual and by feel... No matter what, the clutch grabs at the very last few mm's of releasing the lever. It feels like when your cable is too tight, but it can have a half inch of play in the lever and still grab at the very end.

-Indian Larry-

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #208
kitaeca
Noobie
kitaeca's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:31 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
kitaeca is a NOOB
Thumbs up Re: 1978 XS400 CAFE Build

Clean, classic bike. Great work !!!
kitaeca is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived kitaeca!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #209
Handsome Matt
Just Here For The Party
Senior Fighterer
Handsome Matt's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:31 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 10 Times in 5 Posts
Handsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud ofHandsome Matt has much to be proud of

is it a new cable?

2015 Winter Build: Phoenix Ascending

2015 Winter Build Discussion: Phoenix Ascending

"But it would require a great moral effort; it would mean staring failure in the eye every day for years. And so to protect themselves people say "I can't."" - Paul Graham
Handsome Matt is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #210
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

No but it's not an issue of too much slack, no matter what it grabs late with a very tiny friction zone.

-Indian Larry-

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers