1978 XS400 CAFE Build - Page 22 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers Everything about cafe fighters and cafe racers goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 1978 XS400 CAFE Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #211
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict
Sinister Imaging's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:29 AM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: 1978 XS400 CAFE Build

Might be a dumb qutestion but have you adjusted the clutch push rod?

Sinister Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #212
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict
Garlic_Sauce's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to behold

Yep that's what I mean by adjusting at the clutch, the cable is hooked up to an arm that has a spiraled shaft. When you pull the lever the arm moves forward and the shaft rotates inward puhsing on the pushrod thus disengaging the clutch. You adjust the arm by a screw which presets the pushrod against the cutch. The manual says to bottom that screw out lightly and then back it out a quarter turn.

"Oh my god look at this, it's a machine! You know, your like looking into the mechanism of the universe..."
-Indian Larry-

Current build, check it out.
xs650 Brat Tracker:http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=57958

78 XS400 CAFE build (SOLD): http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=53414

Garlic_Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #213
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict
Garlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to behold

Ive read that using Valvolene Blue 15W40 oil instead of 20W50 has cleared up this issues for a lot of folks. I'm going to try it and see what happens, can't hurt.

"Oh my god look at this, it's a machine! You know, your like looking into the mechanism of the universe..."
-Indian Larry-

78 XS400 CAFE build (SOLD): http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=53414

Garlic_Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #214
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict
Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic_Sauce View Post
Yep that's what I mean by adjusting at the clutch, the cable is hooked up to an arm that has a spiraled shaft. When you pull the lever the arm moves forward and the shaft rotates inward puhsing on the pushrod thus disengaging the clutch. You adjust the arm by a screw which presets the pushrod against the cutch. The manual says to bottom that screw out lightly and then back it out a quarter turn.
Thats exactly what i was sugessting! I would try 10w-40 motorcycle oil first(then try a slightly thicker oil), in my head if the clutch is slipping on engagement I would think the thick oil is not "getting out of the way" when the clutch is released. Dunno though.?.?.? My 96 Katana had the oppisite problem with the clutch, at a stop the clutch plates would stick together and make a big "clunk" when put in to gear from neutral, the solution was to use a full synthitic 10w-40 motorcycle oil.

Any way i would deffinalty try different oils, from my experience some bikes are just picky.

Sinister Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Sinister Imaging!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #215
Erki
Pinstriper4fun
CF Lover
Erki's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 9 Times in 3 Posts
Erki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to beholdErki is a splendid one to behold

A lot of the guys on thegsresources us rotella diesel oil 15-40 because of the clutch. not sure if it works for the xs as good. Im going to switch to it next oil change.

Ugly Duckling build thread
http://customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61430

Ugly Duckling Discussion thread
http://customfighters.com/forums/sho...34#post1185834

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter View Post
The rf is like the ugly chick with a good personality, but in any situation you can't see your self elbow deep in her without throwing up.
Erki is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Erki!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #216
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

Just picked up some super blue Valvolene 15W40, gonaa give it a shot. I drained the oil last night and zip tied the clutch lever pulled, we'll see what happens.

-Indian Larry-

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #217
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

Tried the oil but no difference, gonna have to do the clutch for sure. Whatever they're cheap and easy enough. Went for a good ride today with a couple guys from the motorcycle shop I frequent. My little xs kept up with a yzf600 and Kawi 900 cruiser, it was a lot of fun to hit some good twisties on this bike.

-Indian Larry-

This user High Fived Garlic_Sauce!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #218
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

Hmmm, I went for a ride last night and the clutch didn't slip once, also felt like the friction zone was slightly bigger. I think the new oil is slowly working is way into the plates.

-Indian Larry-

These people High Fived Garlic_Sauce!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #219
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict

Might be..... Fingers crossed.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #220
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

I said fuck it and pulled the trigger on a new clutch. EBC Plates, springs and new cable $101 out the door. An early birthday gift. Got the muffs from Sinister too, THANKS BRA!!!

Was having an issue with a ball of wires under the tail for the blinkers and taillight, I didn't have them secured and they rubbed on my tire and pulled the wires out of both rear blinkers. So, I after I soldered the wires back onto the lights I went to radio shack and got a power connector kit. Then put some wire cover flex tubing on em, nice and nice.

-Indian Larry-

This user High Fived Garlic_Sauce!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers