1978 XS400 CAFE Build - Page 6 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers Everything about cafe fighters and cafe racers goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 1978 XS400 CAFE Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #51
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict
Sinister Imaging's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: 1978 XS400 CAFE Build

cut, weld, grind, weld, then POR-15 tank coating and totally sealed tank. i have a cb4 tank that needs heavy modifaction to fit my gs750. Im just doing this as a test of my own skills to make something work that was never ment to go on a bike like mine.
Thats the CB tank in the pic hiding under my 924S.

Sinister Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #52
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict
Garlic_Sauce's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to behold

Got some etching primer on my triple clamp, headlight bucket and perches/lever today. I need more sandpaper before I spray them gloss black and clear coat them. Also took the huge mufflers and center stand off, must have shaved off at least 25 lbs. I really like those shorty cans, I might order a set tonight.

Still haven't made it over to my folks house to pick up the glass and resin for my tail yet, but I did order the racing seat foam pads today.
Here's a possible tail option, I don't love it yet, still needs some tweaking.

"Oh my god look at this, it's a machine! You know, your like looking into the mechanism of the universe..."
-Indian Larry-

Current build, check it out.
xs650 Brat Tracker:http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=57958

78 XS400 CAFE build (SOLD): http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=53414

Garlic_Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Garlic_Sauce!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #53
Sinister Imaging
personal hazard
CF Addict
Sinister Imaging's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Sinister Imaging is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Uhg, wish i worked on my bike today.... But i got stuck collecting my 7 year olds pee for 24 hrs. for testing at our local lab corps.. lame.

Sinister Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #54
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict
Garlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to beholdGarlic_Sauce is a splendid one to behold

Tore her down again, everything but the motor left. Pulling it tomorrow when I have an extra hand. I decided I'm going to do it right and re-paint the frame and thoroughly clean the motor, also do the seal that's weeping. Thinking of polishing the brake hubs and clear coating them to match the lips and spokes.

"Oh my god look at this, it's a machine! You know, your like looking into the mechanism of the universe..."
-Indian Larry-

78 XS400 CAFE build (SOLD): http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=53414

Garlic_Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Garlic_Sauce!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #55
rubbersdown
sickboy
CF Pimp
rubbersdown's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 38 Times in 23 Posts
rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!rubbersdown is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Looking good man, love the xs's. Can't wait to get back to working on mine

Bitches love smiley faces

my cafe tracker build: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=89721
rubbersdown is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived rubbersdown!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #56
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

What xs model do you have?

-Indian Larry-

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #57
MotoRolla
motorbikes'n'rollerskates
Fighter
MotoRolla's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to beholdMotoRolla is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic_Sauce View Post
Tore her down again, everything but the motor left. Pulling it tomorrow when I have an extra hand. I decided I'm going to do it right and re-paint the frame and thoroughly clean the motor, also do the seal that's weeping. Thinking of polishing the brake hubs and clear coating them to match the lips and spokes.

what colour are you painting the frame?

It's always better on wheels.

foxtrot uniform charlie kilo tango hotel alpha tango sierra hotel india tango!
MotoRolla is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #58
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1,393
Flipped Off 859 Times in 386 Posts
ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRolla View Post
what colour are you painting the frame?
7. the answer is 7

Remi Gavin michele RATdad
ultimate fighter is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived ultimate fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #59
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

Gloss black, I'll see how it looks after I clean it. Maybe I won't have to.

-Indian Larry-

This user High Fived Garlic_Sauce!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #60
Garlic_Sauce
RUST REMOVER

CF Addict

Sprayed the primed parts with gloss black then clear coat, I think they came out pretty good. They look better in person than these pics for sure.

Got my seat foam today, so far I like the compound and thickness, it has adhesive on the back already which is a plus. Only time (and my ass) will tell how it is on longer ventures.

My friend Brian came over and gave me a hand pulling the motor, it's so light once we got it out I was able to pick it up and carry it over to the blocks to set it down. While it's out I'm going to do the seals, there's a seal on the bottom where oil pressure sensor and neutral switch wires go into the motor that is weeping onto them. So I'll order a complete engine gasket kit instead of just the top. Once this motor is clean I don't want to have to clean leaking oil off of it again. I shot some de-greaser on the frame and got most of the gunk off, I really would like to pressure wash it, there are some spots where the paint has rubbed off and begginig to rust so it looks like I'll be painting the frame. In the end it's better that way, I want this bike to be clean and neat from top to bottom.

-Indian Larry-

These people High Fived Garlic_Sauce!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Cafe Fighters & Cafe Racers