No slip on=Burning you exhaust valves.? How? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Beginner Streetfighter Questions This is the place to ask all beginner questions with no fear of being flamed. This section will be HEAVILY MODERATED! Any fighter related question is allowed, no matter how simple!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > No slip on=Burning you exhaust valves.? How?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Sfighter900
Fighter
Sfighter900's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:19 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 1 Post
Sfighter900 is a good noobieSfighter900 is a good noobieSfighter900 is a good noobie
Default No slip on=Burning you exhaust valves.? How?

Ok so i hear alot of things about removing the slip on will not generate enough back pressure, they say it will fxck up yur valves? but how what exactly does it do to mess up the valves? im running a carbed bike how bad will it effect my bike?

This is just a question i was curious about i am not running my bike with no slip on BTW.
Sfighter900 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Mustapha dump
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 12:19 AM
Flipped Off 42 Times in 21 Posts
Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!Mustapha dump is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: No slip on=Burning you exhaust valves.? How?

It will mess up the fueling for your bike, running without a can effectively turns the exhaust into a straight through drag pipe, which works fine when flat out, however in the real world, we don't tend to be flat out all the time, and the midrange performance will suffer, because of the reduction in back pressure altering the timing of the reflected pulses within the exhaust which messes up the scavenging pulses. This can lead to the motor running hotter and leaner which is what can cause damage to the valves and pistons. If you have the jetting sorted out to run with an open drag pipe then it will be fine, however the midrange will suffer, large open pipes are not designed for midrange gains purely wide open throttle.
All aftermarket systems like Yoshimura, Akrapovic, etc are designed to improve the midrange, to do this they need a certain amount of back pressure and length, this is why under engine stubby systems don't work well, and also the underseat conversions also don't tend to work as well, and can be difficult to set the carbs up. Bikes that have an underseat system from new are designed to work with it, and will usually have slightly different cam timing etc in order to run with an extra 18 inches or so of pipe in the mix.
Mustapha dump is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Mustapha dump!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Sfighter900
Fighter
Sfighter900 is a good noobieSfighter900 is a good noobieSfighter900 is a good noobie

Thanks for the info.!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Constant
Create Destroy Repeat
CF Addict
Constant's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Flip Offs: 30
Flipped Off 36 Times in 14 Posts
Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Constant is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Again Mustapha dump thanks for the informative post. I want to run a stubby with a cut back mid pipe on my 88 gsxr 750 for a clean look but not if it has that much of an affect on performance and well such things to consider as you mentioned.

Plan b it is.
Constant is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
fieldarcher
Fooking old git

CF Addict
fieldarcher's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 111
Flipped Off 60 Times in 34 Posts
fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Talking Re: No slip on=Burning you exhaust valves.? How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant View Post
Again Mustapha dump thanks for the informative post. I want to run a stubby with a cut back mid pipe on my 88 gsxr 750 for a clean look but not if it has that much of an affect on performance and well such things to consider as you mentioned.

Plan b it is.

I have put a baffle/ db killer. its slightly longer than the can, with a K&N a/filter and a dynojet kit, set up on a dyno it runs clean, at 119.6 bhp at the crank, pulls clean on the road.
Mustapha is dead right, without the baffle only ran well above 9k. Also to loud even for me and I'm foocking deaf.
fieldarcher is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived fieldarcher!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Sfighter900
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldarcher View Post

I have put a baffle/ db killer. its slightly longer than the can, with a K&N a/filter and a dynojet kit, set up on a dyno it runs clean, at 119.6 bhp at the crank, pulls clean on the road.
Mustapha is dead right, without the baffle only ran well above 9k. Also to loud even for me and I'm foocking deaf.

Bro thats a awesome can.! my friend has one on his gsxr and it sounds so fucking nice.!!i been wanting to get one of those.! where can i get one?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:19 PM
Flip Offs: 315
Flipped Off 206 Times in 124 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Jackstand Johnny is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I'm running a stubby underneath the frame as well. I have the carbs jetted already and I can tell you first hand running it with no muffler for a mile or so that you can really feel the lack of power. I can't tell you for sure whether running my bike with a stubby under the frame has done any damage to the engine, but I've been riding it this way for 5,000+ miles with no detonation yet...yet.

Excellent question by the way.
Jackstand Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
fieldarcher
Fooking old git

CF Addict
fieldarcher's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 111
Flipped Off 60 Times in 34 Posts
fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fieldarcher is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Talking Re: No slip on=Burning you exhaust valves.? How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfighter900 View Post
Bro thats a awesome can.! my friend has one on his gsxr and it sounds so fucking nice.!!i been wanting to get one of those.! where can i get one?
I got mine from
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A16-ROAD-N-...UPPLIES?_rdc=1
He seems to have put up his prices.
Sorry I don't know if he ships international.
Maybe someone on CF can advise another supplier
fieldarcher is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Sfighter900
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldarcher View Post
I got mine from
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A16-ROAD-N-...UPPLIES?_rdc=1
He seems to have put up his prices.
Sorry I don't know if he ships international.
Maybe someone on CF can advise another supplier
Man they are Pricey
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
katana john
OLD GUY's RULE
CF Pimp
katana john's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:19 PM
Flip Offs: 271
Flipped Off 89 Times in 59 Posts
katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!katana john is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

I think Back Presure is a misnomer.
It's realy a presure wave like if you toss a peble into a pond.
The waves radiate out untill they hit something then come back.
The presure wave travels down the pipe and hits the collector or some other thing and comes back.
They try and make it so the returning wave comes back just about the same time the Exhaust valve is opening to help evacuate the cylinder of spent gasses.
Remember to modify the whole system, not just replace one or two parts.

Jules: You sendin' The Wolf.
Marsellus: You feel better motherfucker.
Jules: Shit negro, that's all you had to say.
katana john is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Beginner Streetfighter Questions