Honda CB 750 Project - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Honda CB 750 Project

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
ljonny18
Fighter
Local Time: 09:52 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well liked
Default Honda CB 750 Project

Today I picked up my new (and first) project bike: A 1983 Honda CB 750 RC 04.

I got the bike cheap in an Ebay Auction although it is in a lot worse condition than I originally thought and is currently a non starter.

I have no current fixed plans for the bike so any inputs are welcome !!! The first step is to try and get the motor started to see what I have, and then strip it down to its bare essentials

As mentioned, this is my first project and I am a bit of a novice but looking forward to seeing what I can do with the bike !!!

I will update this forum as I make progress with the bike !!!

Attached is the picture taken from the Ebay Ad:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cb750_rc_04_ebeay_ad.JPG
Views:	3566
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	20260  
ljonny18 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
AtlStreetfighter
Longtime rider

CF Pimp
AtlStreetfighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:52 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 6 Times in 5 Posts
AtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud ofAtlStreetfighter has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Honda CB 750 Project

Love the old CB750. Good luck with your build. Keep us posted. WE WILL BE WATCHING.

StreetKORE Apparel. The original Brand built for the true Streetfighter Enthusiast.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=27479

AtlStreetfighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived AtlStreetfighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
MarduK
Fighter In Training
MarduK's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:52 AM
MarduK is a good noobieMarduK is a good noobie

Congratulations on your new buy!

In your case I would go with a Cafe Racer style. These old bikes can look really good in that style, much better than streetfighter. Just my 0.02$...

Something similar to this (well, this is CBX1000, but you get the point)

MarduK is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MarduK!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
ljonny18
Fighter
ljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well likedljonny18 is well liked

I totally agree... I will be aiming more towards a retro / cafe look / feel over a fighter !!!

I want to beef it up a bit by changing the suspension setup front and back (front forks and new swing arm) and get a bigger tire on the back mainly for aesthetics (and also handling).

Can anyone recommend a setup / donor bike(s) that I can start to look out for parts ?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
MarduK
Fighter In Training

Well,that would be almost any newer sport bike. In every case you will have to do some custom work for the parts to fit.

If you`re from Europe I have a complete setup from a `00 ZX12-R for sale if you`re interested. Front&Back wheel, front fork tubes,swingarm, shock, brake calipers&masters...

Shipping to states would be probably too costly...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:52 PM
Flip Offs: 1,394
Flipped Off 860 Times in 387 Posts
ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

My bike used a conglomeration of parts from modern bikes. Very night and day difference if it's done right. Before you let anyone talk you into USD forks do your research and make sure they will actually benefit the ride.

1) adjustability
2) fork length [center of axle to the top of the cap- sprung and unsprung]
3) offset [you don't want them to hit your tank and kill your turning radius

Most of the time modern sportbike USDs will lower your front more than needed.
A beefy set of conventional damper forks with some valving and springs and a fork brace will come out way ahead of the USDs in the performance department

Remi Gavin michele RATdad
ultimate fighter is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived ultimate fighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
ljonny18
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarduK View Post
Well,that would be almost any newer sport bike. In every case you will have to do some custom work for the parts to fit.

If you`re from Europe I have a complete setup from a `00 ZX12-R for sale if you`re interested. Front&Back wheel, front fork tubes,swingarm, shock, brake calipers&masters...

Shipping to states would be probably too costly...
@MarduK - I am currently located in Germany so am not sure re postage costs. I still want to firstly get the motor running before investing in any other parts and also research a bit what I can / cant do and want to do with the bike before I make any commitments re parts..

Out of interest, are you wanting to sell the lot as a complete package ? or would you sell individual items etc ???
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
ljonny18
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate fighter View Post
My bike used a conglomeration of parts from modern bikes. Very night and day difference if it's done right. Before you let anyone talk you into USD forks do your research and make sure they will actually benefit the ride.

1) adjustability
2) fork length [center of axle to the top of the cap- sprung and unsprung]
3) offset [you don't want them to hit your tank and kill your turning radius

Most of the time modern sportbike USDs will lower your front more than needed.
A beefy set of conventional damper forks with some valving and springs and a fork brace will come out way ahead of the USDs in the performance department
@Ultimate Fighter - Thanks for the info !!! The point that you have hilighted have been a worry of mine (I am not too clued up at the moment re what is / is not possible and difficulties to fit etc.... and what effect it will have on the bike - handling / frame stress....).

I have been reading a lot around the subject, and found out that almost every possible route / option has been taken in similar projects (USD forks, conventional forks, braced swingarms, wider wheel conversions, mono shock conversions....) A point that has been hilighted (additional to the ones you have pointed out) when upgrading the running gear on such an old bike is to expect to have to reinforce the frame, otherwise the bike will tie itself in knots.

"The CB750 frame was never meant to cope with the stressed created by the grip and handling that a modern suspension/wheel/tire/brake combo will provide"

- Does anyone have any other inputs / advice towards this ? E.g:
  • Would conventional forks taken from a more modern bike have similar consequences ?
  • Would the frame suffer such stress for everyday road riding or is this an extreme example for track riding etc...
  • Would getting the frame professionally strengthened completely reduce this stress / is it worth it ?

The reason I ask is that I have seen similar projects with USD / mono shock setups and no frame stregthening I want to fully understand what is involved.

Cheers,
Jon.

PS. Where can I find such information re the adjustability, fork length and offsets for different forks ??? Or is it a case of digging around / asking questions on forums and seeing what info I can get / find ?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
MarduK
Fighter In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljonny18 View Post
@MarduK - I am currently located in Germany so am not sure re postage costs. I still want to firstly get the motor running before investing in any other parts and also research a bit what I can / cant do and want to do with the bike before I make any commitments re parts..

Out of interest, are you wanting to sell the lot as a complete package ? or would you sell individual items etc ???
Selling individual items is not a problem. In worst case scenario all of the parts will be available on ebay...someday

So if you`ll find yourself wanting any ZX12 parts you can contact me, if you find out they will fit etc.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
ljonny18
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarduK View Post
Selling individual items is not a problem. In worst case scenario all of the parts will be available on ebay...someday

So if you`ll find yourself wanting any ZX12 parts you can contact me, if you find out they will fit etc.
Nice one - Thank you !

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes