Question about makeing a fiberglass fender - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

Paint and Bodywork Anything to do with fabricating bodywork, composites, prep and paint work goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Question about makeing a fiberglass fender

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!

Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:31 AM
Flip Offs: 156
Flipped Off 68 Times in 59 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Question about makeing a fiberglass fender

I was thinking a fender like in the photo below would look good on my build but I'm having trouble thinking of how to mount it since I want it to maintain a set distance from the tire at all times. This would mean making it adjustable so the gap doesn't change when the chain tension is adjusted. I would rather not run struts all the way back to the axle for aesthetic reasons. Any ideas?

2014 Build-off project: GSXR 600 Mutt (don't post in this one)
2014 Build-off discussion: GSXR 600 Mutt
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 50
Flipped Off 37 Times in 28 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Question about makeing a fiberglass fender

Quickest thing I can think of is to shape a couple pieces of rebar or similar. Weld tabs to mount them to the swingarm up front, shape them to run along the sides of the tire and kick up a little at the back (give a little more clearance at the edge of the fender)
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
thaOrleanyte
hardhead

thaOrleanyte's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 658
Flipped Off 452 Times in 178 Posts
thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

What about a loop with small diameter metal bar. Maybe even glass the bar in.

thaOrleanyte is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived thaOrleanyte!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!

Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 156
Flipped Off 68 Times in 59 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight My Shaft View Post
Quickest thing I can think of is to shape a couple pieces of rebar or similar. Weld tabs to mount them to the swingarm up front, shape them to run along the sides of the tire and kick up a little at the back (give a little more clearance at the edge of the fender)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaOrleanyte View Post
What about a loop with small diameter metal bar. Maybe even glass the bar in.
I've sketched up a modified version of those two. It may be easier to make the first one from steel and other ones from fiberglass.

How big of a gap do you think there should be between the fender and tire? 1/2" seem right?

EDIT:
Another idea I just had is to use a stainless steel mesh as a core. When making the fender use a couple layers of fiberglass, then place the mesh, and then then a couple more layers of fiberglass. I wonder how that would hold up to the vibrations and bumps.

2014 Build-off project: GSXR 600 Mutt (don't post in this one)
2014 Build-off discussion: GSXR 600 Mutt

Last edited by Racing Geek; 03-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
thaOrleanyte
hardhead

thaOrleanyte's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 658
Flipped Off 452 Times in 178 Posts
thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

carbon fiber? I dont know much that would take (or cost), but it may not be a budget buster if you're efficient.

thaOrleanyte is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Paint and Bodywork