Spot on tire to line up with valve stem when mounting? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Spot on tire to line up with valve stem when mounting?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Bill
now with 20% more gravy
CF Addict
Bill's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:01 PM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 50 Times in 23 Posts
Bill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to behold
Default Spot on tire to line up with valve stem when mounting?

I started mounting my own tires and a friend said there is a spot on a tire that's marked to be lined up with the valve stem for proper balancing. Is this true?

EDIT: I don't mean a sticker or a paint mark, I mean a symbol or something molded into the rubber.

BUY MY MULTI BIKE FITTING BELLY PAN AT THE FOLLOWING LINK> http://www.customfighters.com/forums...light=bellypan
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
thomas.tc.young
Fighter In Training
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
thomas.tc.young is a good noobiethomas.tc.young is a good noobie
Default Re: Spot on tire to line up with valve stem when mounting?

It's a white dot it indicates The light point on the tire. It lines up with the valve stem. Not necessary if you balance your tires but it's a good practice and it's not really any additional work

Tom

1992 xr250l SRP - small red pig
1969 CL350 permanent cafe project
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
ultimate fighter
Remi's Dad
ultimate fighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 1,393
Flipped Off 859 Times in 386 Posts
ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ultimate fighter is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

true. It's a either a heavy spot or slight runout in the tire. Not that it matters.

It's not a perfect science.

Remi Gavin michele RATdad
ultimate fighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Bill
now with 20% more gravy
CF Addict
Bill's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 50 Times in 23 Posts
Bill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to beholdBill is a splendid one to behold

Right, right. But no way to ID the spot on a non-new tire I spose.

BUY MY MULTI BIKE FITTING BELLY PAN AT THE FOLLOWING LINK> http://www.customfighters.com/forums...light=bellypan
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Pug
Pic addict
CF Addict
Pug's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:01 PM
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 18 Times in 14 Posts
Pug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond reputePug has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to vary by manufacturer but this is Bridgestone's system (though I only found it through their truck tyre section) http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...ue2/Doctor.asp

Quote:
What Are The Yellow Dots For?
Just as it's very hard to make a tire or wheel that's perfectly round, it is also very difficult to make tires and wheels that are perfectly in balance.
You can help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly by mounting the tire so that its light balance point is matched up with the wheel's heavy balance point.
All new Bridgestone truck and bus radials are factory- marked with a yellow dot at the light balance point. Generally, the heavy balance point of a wheel is at the location of the valve stem. This is true regardless of whether the wheel is steel or aluminum.
For best initial balance, match yellow dots to valve stems.

Which Dot Takes Precedence?
If a Bridgestone tire you're mounting has both red and yellow dots, the red dot has priority. Match it to the wheel low point dimple or valve stem. Ignore the yellow dot. Remember, "red rules."

[...]

What About Marks And Dots Of Other Colors?
On Bridgestone radials, only red or yellow dots are used in match-mounting. Ignore any other colors.

Does Every Tire Manufacturer Use The Same Marks?
Unfortunately, no. Some manufacturers do not mark their tires at all, and some use different colors. If you're not using Bridgestone radials, you'll need to consult your tire supplier for more information.
Thanks for bringing this up. I worked as a tyre fitter for a while and they never taught us this. I'll look out for it in future.

"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons, the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas"
Pug is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Pug!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
gsf1200R
ShamanFighter
gsf1200R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 484
Flipped Off 801 Times in 365 Posts
gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

its not all that necessary. ive not line up the dot befor and got 0.00 with no weight before

Goal: Promote streetfighters to the custom motorcycle scene in America.
Plan: Spread the word to motorcycle enthusiasts through our forum & blog.
gsf1200R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
MikeGyver
I hold grudges, forever
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:01 PM
Flip Offs: 81
Flipped Off 54 Times in 45 Posts
MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!MikeGyver is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

It is not molded in the tire since the manufacturer does not know where the light spot will be until after the tire is out of the mold. If you are doing the mounting yourself you should find the heavy spot of the wheel sans tire. Then line up the dot with the heavy spot on the wheel since it is not always the valve stem.

'98 Ducati 916
'04 SV650 - Daily ride
'03 SV650 (sold)
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
gsf1200R
ShamanFighter
gsf1200R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 484
Flipped Off 801 Times in 365 Posts
gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsf1200R is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

or spend 3-8 bux to have a shop balance it... hell most of the time i do it gratis at my shop unless someone comes in full retard demanding i do it on the spot the day before a holiday weekend...then i charge ten dollars cash to the Randy Fund

Goal: Promote streetfighters to the custom motorcycle scene in America.
Plan: Spread the word to motorcycle enthusiasts through our forum & blog.
gsf1200R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived gsf1200R!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
CtotheQ
science bitch
CF Addict
CtotheQ's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 15
Flipped Off 8 Times in 7 Posts
CtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud ofCtotheQ has much to be proud of

I've mounted 3 or 4 car tire's and 3 motorcycle tires, took off the weights on my car wheels, left them in the same spot on my motorcycle wheels. Both vehicles have seen 110 or so and i never got any weird vibe's

Dylan
CtotheQ is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Smoker
BLACK BELT

CF Pimp
Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:01 PM
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 6 Times in 6 Posts
Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Smoker is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Even if you dyno balance the wheels & tires, you should line up the dot.

Otherwise, you may have to use more weights than necessary to balance the tire.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion