How to produce a fiberglass piece - Page 3 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY
Register iTrader FAQDonate Image Host All New Posts New Streetfighter Posts

Notices

DIY A how to section for the members, by the members!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > How to produce a fiberglass piece

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #21
Bailz
Senior Fighterer
Bailz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to allBailz is a name known to all
Default Re: How to produce a fiberglass piece

You inspired me to make some glass stuff, A tail for my blade. I did it foam-core style just wrapping over a foam piece that then gets stuck inside. I didn't have any of the foam we make downhill boards out of so i used some random shit and the poly resin is eating it. I hope it doesnt turn out like shit.

Adventurer by trade, Pikey by circumstance.
Bailz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #22
dogbreath
Function IS Form
dogbreath's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 329 Times in 225 Posts
dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Gotta put some shit inbetween the glass and the foam to keep it from getting eaten!

Dedication > Guts > Money > Luck > Talent
dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #23
chandler
is not your fucking bro
chandler's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 75
Flipped Off 53 Times in 24 Posts
chandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to behold

do your foam then cover the foam in bondo. firberglass doesnt eat bondo.

chandler is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #24
dogbreath
Function IS Form
dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!dogbreath is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Or tinfoil

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM   #25
chandler
is not your fucking bro
chandler's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 75
Flipped Off 53 Times in 24 Posts
chandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to beholdchandler is a splendid one to behold

very true. but with bondo you can sand it smooth and get a smooth surface. i guess you can with tinfoil if you smash it enough. nemman used that metal duct tape.

"Instead of using plastic I covered everything with painters tape then I covered that with metal duct tape, any hardware store will have those. Then I waxed the metal tape so the fiberglass resin wouldn't stick. I actually used EZPOXY because you can work with it longer before it sets up. The metal tape is easy to form and holds it's shape so you can push it into tight corners and it will stay there. The blue painters tape does a good job of protecting the part. You could take a shape off a painted part and not damage it doing it this way. The downside is if you want to use the tape side you won't have a smooth finish. Using resin to repair bare areas is a great idea. It would also fill any pinholes that bondo wouldn't get into. I usually buy all my cloth and resin from Wicks Aircraft www.wicksaircraft.com"

chandler is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #26
Candyman
Perpetual Project

CF Pimp
Candyman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Candyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to allCandyman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailz View Post
You inspired me to make some glass stuff, A tail for my blade. I did it foam-core style just wrapping over a foam piece that then gets stuck inside. I didn't have any of the foam we make downhill boards out of so i used some random shit and the poly resin is eating it. I hope it doesnt turn out like shit.
I've heard epoxy resin doesn't eat at foam (certain types at least) as much. I don't believe I've ever used it though, and I only heard that second hand so don't quote me on it.

When I used a foam mould I wrapped it in saran wrap before laying down the resin. Honestly that method sucked. But it was a first attempt so I'm sure if I put more thought into it I could pull it off better now. Tin foil might be a better option depending on the shape of the mould. It would work well for getting a "rough shape" plug made if nothing else, then you could add to it to get your finished piece.

Like some of my original posts said, theres lots of ways to do fiberglass work, this is just one variation.

Built Not Bought

Let these hands sit not idle.
<For sale
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #27
dogbreath
Function IS Form

Yeah I use that metallic duct tape when I'm making race fairings fit better, works like a charm

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #28
Tommy Pantsdown
Naked from the waste down

CF Addict
Tommy Pantsdown's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 7 Times in 5 Posts
Tommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of lightTommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of lightTommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of lightTommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of lightTommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of lightTommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of lightTommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of lightTommy Pantsdown is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by haelo View Post
Yeah I use that metallic duct tape when I'm making race fairings fit better, works like a charm
I didn't know you made race fairings. Any pics or anything?

Are you going to eventually make your own body work for your fighter?

Mr. April 07 - FOTM Champion.
Tommy Pantsdown is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #29
dogbreath
Function IS Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Pantsdown View Post
I didn't know you made race fairings. Any pics or anything?

Are you going to eventually make your own body work for your fighter?
I meant I put race fairings on and they don't fit for jack and I use the metal duct tape because it's easy to keep the fiberglass from damaging other parts with it.

Yeah, I'm gonna make a tail and I'm going to (heavily) modify a stock fiberglass upper, and I'm going to make a race bellypan.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-05-2007, 01:02 AM   #30
fslflint
fighter transplant in NC
fslflint's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 92
Flipped Off 225 Times in 69 Posts
fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!fslflint is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

hey candyman, I'd be interested in buying a solo seat cowl from yah. my little bro has his 250 and I think he would love one. any idea on how much they will cost?

Quote:
Gavin, I know you are in heaven. Please don't modify it too much!
RIP brother

Quote:
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
fslflint is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info > DIY