Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

aL's SV650 Build

39K views 123 replies 24 participants last post by  CK 187 
#1 ·
Still thinking on the title of this build.....

But here goes my second fighter build, and I chose the Suzuki SV650 for it's curvy tube frame and rock solid twin.

So far I've just chopped the rear fender off and remounted the plate and signals, installed Motosliders, and fixed a buggy coil. When I got the bike, the rear cylinder was not warming up very fast at all. Soldered in the connections to the coil and repaired some wire. I still feel like there is a lingering wire issue SOMEWHERE, I just know it. Huge mirrors are getting tossed, but sticking around until I figure out what I'm going to do with the bars. It has the Suburban Machinery bars, which are really nice, but I want a little higher grip and upright riding position.

So the plans are:
USD front end (still doing the research. see USD vs RSU thread.)
zx10r shock
Vapor Gauges
Tail swap
Speed holes
Maybe a tank swap
Super bike bars or similar
Heavy duty clutch when the time comes
Window covers
Speed Holes
Some custom headlight creation, likely to be done and done over again.
P/c frame, paint tail/ tank.
Fork Shrouds
Tube subframe, something cool and trellis-ee
VFR swinger (i know it's getting old, but SV's just look so damn good with SSSA) Maybe an r1 swinger. Or a just a GSXR or B12 to get a fatter ass on her. (undecided)

etc......... im sure there will be all kinds of other ideas I'll slowly make my way through. I don't really plan to rush anything, so this build is probably gonna take a while. My main goals is to just ride the piss out of her.

So anyways, got the basics done to get her one the road, took a short ride today, and I'm really happy with some low end grunt and the Leo Vince sounds mean enough to scare the kids. Me likey.

See less See more
#5 ·
So, still bidding on a rear shock. Front end is still being research, I need to find some time to hit up the local salvage yard for forks and trips. I want to find a 96-99 gsxr 750 triples to keep my steering stops. From there it's figuring out what fits. I suppose that I could lose the steering stops or weld some new ones on too.

Anyways, been riding and enjoying her quite a bit lately. Took her out yesterday on a run to do a service call. Check out this sweet GPS rig.

Installed the bar end mirror from Jared, and deleted the stockers. Looks MUCH better. The view of the rear is pretty good, maybe even better than stock. I had to stick my elbow out to see anything with the stockers, now I can see pretty clearly behind me. Took a bit of pigging out other mirror parts and switching hardware to make the mirror work. Had to use a rubber expander and cover it in just the right amount of electrical tape to squeeze it in there and get the rubber to expand inside the bar. It's a little vibe-y while at speed, though. I probably need to go to the hardware store and get a longer screw to fit to another rubber expander in there. Maybe some BB's in the bars. Need to test some more.

Now time for some pic whoring :D

The jury is still out for the Suburban machinery bars. They look pretty good and give great feedback, but to ride comfortably upright and keep a light touch on the bars while riding results in squished testicles. I may try to flip them for a little more height.

#6 ·
No surprise it's not comfortable, you have low bars and low pegs. You need some higher and/or further back pegs.

Depending on if you want or can budget for rearsets, consider an adapter plate, or actually the pegs from an SV600S may be enough to sort it out for you.

If you flip the bars they'll have an elevation rather than drop angle, I think? I did that as a bodge to make my old T595 rideable, but it isn't comfortable and puts an odd strain on your wrists.

Looking good so far.

#12 ·
Yeah, I was considering the weird bar angle, and think it would actually be more uncomfortable.

Casey: I'll get back to you on the rearsets.

Here's some pics from the dw today. I drilled the rivets on my parts buildoff headlight shroud, busted out the tin snips, and cut to the sides to the initial fit. Once my speedo gets installed I'll figure out what to do with the rest. So, for now, it's staying ghetto until final piece and then paint.

#7 ·
Ahh it looks clean without those radar dish mirrors on it! haha. If you get some industrial velcro you cant mount that GPS on there pretty nicely. Like the ingenuity though haha

#9 ·
Measure the mounting distance on both the rearsets. I have a set of rearset plates that work with stock pegs and levers that should work for you if you want

#13 ·
So last night I stripped the paint off the of shrouds, and it looks good as bare metal. I am leaving it bare until I make my mind up with the frame/tank colors. Made the brackets for my gauges out of some aluminum stock. It's got some serious vibes while riding, so I need to get some rubber grommets or something, and probably brace the gauge bracket.

My rear shock is on order. Hopefully I don't have to work this weekend so I can go hunt for parts at the salvage yard. I'm thinking about going SSSA on the SV. I wan't a swingarm swap, late R1 would be preferable to me, but a VFR swinger is a fairly "easy" deal. That's probably way down the road, like winter of 2013 or something.

I'll get some pics up soon.

#14 ·
Anyways. Been D'in W, but little stuff. Just got my 2005 ZX-10R rear shock in and fat bars and risers. thanks to Casey for the good find on ebay, got bars and risers on the cheap. Would like to powder coated, there used and in structural sound shape, but the finish is pretty beat up. Finally getting around to posting some pics up.

Gauge mount, still in works.

Light shrouds in bare metal. It's starting to get a light coat of rust, which I may experiment with. Stay tuned on that.

The boing boing stuff

This weekend I'm going to get the bars mounted and then extensive testing.

#15 ·
I definitely like the bare metal on the shrouds better. Maybe a little rust and a clear coat to keep it that way!

Get some parts together and ship them off to me for powder! I'll send them back looking sexy.

#16 ·
New bars are on today. Broke my throttle tube, so now I have to source a new one. Would like to go 1/4 turn, so maybe a R6. Have to research that one.

The riding position is a lot more comfortable than the Suburban bars and I have a lot more leverage. I also like the look of the Easton bars as much as the Suburbans. Here's some pics.

Suburban Machinery bars are for sale, feel free to PM me.

#17 ·

Can you tell the difference?

Maybe, it's takes a sharp eye, but I upgraded the headlamp. It's a bit smaller, made of stainless, and powdercoated black.... so a ton better than the stocker. Since the light is smaller, it's more cutting and filing on the shrouds to get em to fit nice. Had to drill out the holes in the mounts to fit the flange bolts.

The good thing is, the smaller light lowered the position of the shrouds that I think flows a little better. And it's a little more narrow, which I like too.

I'll get around to the shock swap when it cools off a bit more. I need to ride the rest of the boing out of the old one first. I have some chicken strips that need eaten.

Next I'll play around with corrosion. I have some ideas that I hope doesn't ruin anything. Oh, and I need more speed holes, gotta let some more light out of the shrouds. and swap mirrors again.

#21 ·
Casey, the rearset mounting bolts measure ~55mm from center to center, I assume this is the spec you need?

Found a few good deals on front end stuff on Ebay. I need to find the interchangibility of forks using the 96-99 GSXR 750 triple tree. My research has come up kinda dry, but I THINK I can use most K series forks for this. I would need the SRAD wheel/ axle (rotors too?). For ease of wallet and installation, the best bet would be a full SRAD front end, but it's been pretty tough to find a complete one.

I really want gold forks but I'll settle with the silver SRADs. If silver, I would like to do some fork shrouds, if thier possible with my current tooling.

#23 ·
I need to find the interchangibility of forks using the 96-99 GSXR 750 triple tree. My research has come up kinda dry, but I THINK I can use most K series forks for this.
Check the FAQ. I just recently came across a guide by head tube ID that was super easy and puts out just about every major fighter on the forum.

#25 ·
#28 ·

That's a sexy paint job!

It's still up in the air really, I have a few ideas I want to run with. I even have a "mural" type paint scheme I'd like to do, but I'm afraid it's a little beyond my budget, and I don't want it to have a "theme" feel to it. I was thinking of going bare metal on the tank and then rusting it up a little. The more I think about it the less I like the idea. I don't want it to be a primped up showbike, I want it to look tough, ridden and aggressive with unique color scheme.

As far as PC, just the frame at first, and as I mentioned before, there is a bunch of cool powdercoats availible.

check this out

Wrinkle

or

Vein

#33 ·
I was thinking of going bare metal on the tank and then rusting it up a little. The more I think about it the less I like the idea. I don't want it to be a primped up showbike, I want it to look tough, ridden and aggressive with unique color scheme.
what about doing like a Borderlands 'inspired' build. Do a red oxide base, some black/orange, some scuffed bare metal, and then some yellow accent bits.

chain smoke on that one!

#30 ·
roger that good buddy, let me know if your going to go for a patina'd look... I have a list of specific chemicals for patina effects...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.